Poll Out of Ten - 2014 Canadian Grand Prix

2014 Canadian Grand Prix Out of Ten

• Total voters
I rarely give max marks but I have today; and for the same reasons I did it last time (2011)... It had my wife on the edge of her seat until the very end.

A fine race, more "old school" with reliability and collisions playing their part, good to see a new winner (even if we did have to suffer a happy Horner afterwards), and JB does 2 cars in one corner to finish an excellent 4th - pity we never got to see that though, but understandable considering what was happening at the sharp end. I give it a thoroughly enjoyable 8.

Finally, we have the ingredients for an interesting race in 2014 - new regulations change must be made immediately!

All cars painted silver must have KERS disconnected automatically 1/3 way through race and a random number of them must a brake disc removed at the earliest pit-stop opportunity.

There you go, Bernie, all sorted - just the little matter of zee slightly crazy amigos from South America for you to deal with!

The racing wasn't as close as Bahrain, but the race was more exciting. At times, Hamilton, Rosberg, Massa and Perez all looked likely winners. Cracking stuff. A 10.

We are going to have to have some stonking races later in the season to beat this.

9 - The reliability of the cars is starting to spoil it a little for me. Too many, too often.
Are you for real? Only 6 cars retired due to unreliability - only one of which was a frontrunner (Hamilton). Rosberg's unreliability absolutely made the race. If the Mercedeses hadn't had problems, do you think it would have been as good a race?

We need more unreliability... some of the best racing was in the turbo era of the 80's when you never new when the engine would give out; or the 70's when they were pushing chassis design and weight saving.

Unreliability rules.

I went for a 9. You must leave space, always you must leave space......

Alonso-park.jpg

Gave it an 8, partly because it was due to the Merc's being hurt than trough pace they lost.
But it was fun to see.

Are you for real? Only 6 cars retired due to unreliability - only one of which was a frontrunner (Hamilton). Rosberg's unreliability absolutely made the race. If the Mercedeses hadn't had problems, do you think it would have been as good a race?

Yes, I am for real, and I'm entitled to my own opinion thank you, just as you're entitled to yours. I know there will always be mechanical failures, but personally I prefer there to be fewer, not more (unless it's Vettel... :D). And yes, I do think it would have been just as good of a race if neither Hamilton and Rosberg had had issues, as it would have been interesting to see Hamilton take on Rosberg and see how that played out. I like a race to be between the best drivers to see who has the skill to get the flag first, not to see whose car lasts the longest...

I suspect you're very much in the minority there. After all, between Malaysia and Monaco we saw five straight Hamilton-Rosberg reliability-unaffected races and only Bahrain came anywhere close to the kind of excitement we saw at Montreal. You would have hated F1 in the 60s, 70s and 80s!

Back
Top Bottom