Out of Ten - 2013 Belgian Grand Prix

2013 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Masterclass from Vettel. A bit of fightimg spirit from Alonso. Great drive from JB and three way action with Force India's and Saubers........still a dull race though. 6.

Got a 4 from me because it disappointed. Spa is one of my favourite races and it was so DULL.
The first lap was promising but once Seb swanned off into the distance it all became a bit pointless.
Hat off to Fernando fighting through, pat on the back to Lewis for hanging in for a podium and comiserating hugs for Paul Di Resta being punted out & Kimi for being a rare breed to be taken out by a visor strip!

I was briefly enlivened by the possibility of Jenson sneaking a podium, but as soon as he pitted, the race lost any spark it might have had for me. I turned over to the cricket as soon as they got into parc ferme afterwards, which was much more thrilling (ruined by the officials within sight of the end though).

Yet more Winfinger garners a mere 3 from me, I'm afraid. Part of me wishes the rest of the grid would just pull into the pitlane at the end of the formation lap in protest at Vettel's dominance and just let him drive around on his own for 90mins feeling stupid, while they all refuse to talk to the press, and the cameras focus on Horner looking increasingly agitated and about to cry.:yawn:

Vettel disappearing after lap 1 put pay to an exciting race

Webber as usual fluffs the start and can't get the gap back

Button drove impressively compared to his dangerous teammate again

Only other highlight was Maldonado rear ending Di Resta when 4 into the bus stop did not go

The race was a nail in the coffin for everyone else for the rest of the reason TBH

The old scenario of leaving the sofa at 1:05pm to go and do something less boring instead comes to mind, ironically enough 10 years earlier I was doing the same thing when another German sprinted off in to the distance........

Chewed over this for an age. So as usual taking 10 as the start point:

Interesting grid with potential for a real chase and shootout - no deductions.
Predictable sitting duck no grip Mercedes to the swift Red Bull: minus 2 ...
... and evaporated shoot out prospect: minus 2
Sitting Duck DRS overtakes minus 2 ...
... and virtual lack of any action anywhere else: minus 2
Storming Ferrari/Alonso combination provides a bit of drama: plus 2 fanpoints...
... and a limit the damage drive from Hamilton: plus 2 fanpoints
Nothing else to write home about and two failed attempts to stay awake trying to watch recording: minus another 2

= FOUR MEASLY POINTS ... WTF???

My expectations must have been unreasonably high as Spa is (probably) my favourite track on the current schedule and usually my favourite watch. This year? No.

The overtaking stat's for this race made for interesting reading http://cliptheapex.com/threads/f1-2013-overtaking-analysis.6058/page-5#post-213624 . My post there has some relevance here I think.

So the FOM TV producer for the 2013 Belgian GP goes down as the worst performer of the season having failed miserably to convey most of the on track action to the viewing public. Something tells me the race may have been somewhat more entertaining in reality than it was on the box. Of course, the figures don't convey where all these overtakes took place. If they were predominantly in the DRS zone then the producer's failure is inconsequential.:thinking:

Last edited:
Sutil (I think, or possibly Di Resta) had a huge moment at the top of Eau Rouge that I saw from where I was sitting which I don't think made it on to TV. Quite a few overtakes on the entry to Eau Rouge as well but at least some of those made it on to TV.

Galahad's already made a plot to show that there doesn't seem to be a correlation between the number of overtakes and the score given in these polls though.

Galahad's already made a plot to show that there doesn't seem to be a correlation between the number of overtakes and the score given in these polls though.

Since you mention it, Sushi', I hadn't paid much attention to how the poll was going in general. I was just wondering why I had found the race so dull. Galahad 's stat's compared to my own personal audience experience seems to explain it.

Last edited:
Still doubting between a 6 and a 7. Pretty much the same as Hungary, leader runs away from the beginning, ridiculous penalty, only difference is that overtaking was to easy at Spa. But the Maldonando drift was pretty nice and some nice battles, shame for DRS though.

There are some similarities with Hungary but there's plenty of reasons why Hungary was a better race. Although Hamilton won by some margin he probably wasn't in the fastest car, for example, and he had to earn that lead by pulling off key overtakes on Button and Webber (twice). Vettel lost the race by not being able to get past Button (largely due to car setup) in a battle that lasted most the race.

At Spa no one had an answer to the pace of Vettel, not even close, and after a few corners it was a foregone conclusion. Then you can factor in the over powered DRS at Spa and the fact that it was a bad result for hopes of having a competitive championship whereas Hungary was a good result in that respect.

All of this of course ignores the fact that I gave Spa a ten for other reasons LOL.

Last edited:
.....and Vettels brilliant overtake of Hamilton on lap one with a great tactical use of KERS that put him in the position to dominate in the first place. Don't see why thats rated any lower than the move on Webber or Button by Lewis in Hungary.

I agree the battles through the field were less exciting though.

But then the Hulkenberg, Di Resta, Sutil and Maldonado battle was pretty nice until it lasted.
A 6.5 would be at place here.:)

Belgian GP Results

CTA Race of the Year:
Score (mean): 5.2
Tiebreak 1 (median): 5
Tiebreak 2 (mode): 6

CTA Most Disputed Race:
Score (Avg. Deviation on Median): 1.5
Tiebreak (Std. Deviation on Mean): 2.0

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/CTA-race-of-the-year-2013.6176/page-6

Back
Top Bottom