On this day/old race discussions

Wow, what a controversy! I went back to watch that Race on F1 TV and man was that exciting! I can't imagine what it would have been like to be there in person or watching on TV live.
well i only watched in full during the pandemic. id only seen clips up until then as im 1998 + & yeah its part of schumacher that he was really talented but flawed as a human. not great considering how 3 years previous he did the same to Damon Hill. he was getting a reputation. watching on TV live i can see that & 94 being the same as Saudi or Brazilian GP last year. people discuss it to this day

but very surprised to hear that people thought FIA had gone light on Schumacher as ive always thought to disqualify him from the championship was quite huge & on Williams & McLaren some say it was. but what i heard Villeneuve gearbox was barely holding on & it was better safe than sorry. as he only needed 3rd for championship

F1’s imminent return to Las Vegas has prompted my memories of the sport’s first stint in Vegas. Two F1 races were held in LV during that period—in 1981 and ’82. I attended the last race in 1982. By F1 standards I found the event to be rather pathetic and I was glad to see it disappear from the F1 calendar thereafter. The race was held at Caesar’s Palace (it was officially called the Caesar’s Palace Grand Prix). A temporary, makeshift circuit was set up in Caesar’s enormous car park. In my opinion, this was the worst circuit layout ever in F1. While the car park was huge for a parking lot, it was much too small an area in which to lay out a proper F1 racing circuit. Thus, in order to meet F1’s minimum circuit distance requirement in this compressed space the circuit was designed as a ridiculous series of three switchback loops that cut back and forth across the lot (circuit length was 2.268 miles). To put it mildly, the drivers were not impressed. They generally referred to it as being a Mickey Mouse circuit with some describing it as an overgrown go-kart course. In a manner unflattering for what is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsports, it kind of reminded me of those competitions in which a makeshift course is outlined by cones within a large parking lot. During the race it seemed so bizarre watching the cars constantly zooming back and forth across the lot. The circuit did have one good point from a spectator’s perspective (something that was rather unique among F1 circuits). By necessity, the grandstands had to be positioned along the perimeter of the circuit. So, this meant that with this compressed circuit sitting out in front of the grandstands, if you had a moderately high enough seat you were able to essentially see the entire circuit. Fortunately, the negative aspects didn’t keep me from enjoying getting to see in person the cars and drivers whose exploits I had been following over the course of the season.

Despite the Mickey Mouse circuit layout and the generally pathetic nature of the event, there were some notable points associated with the 1982 LV race. It was the last race of the ’82 season and with his 5th place finish Keke Rosberg clinched the drivers’ title. [Rosberg won only one race that season. This seems an unworthy win total for a WDC until you consider the fact that no driver won more than two races during that odd and tragic season.] And though they scored no points in the race, Ferrari clinched the constructors’ title. It was the first win for Michele Alboreto. This was Mario Andretti’s last F1 race (he was filling in for the badly injured Didier Pironi at Ferrari). Perhaps most notable of all, this was the last race for the ground effect cars (i.e., the end of the ground effect era)—and good riddance to them! I hated those cars and the drivers generally shared this sentiment.

F1’s imminent return to Las Vegas has prompted my memories of the sport’s first stint in Vegas. Two F1 races were held in LV during that period—in 1981 and ’82. I attended the last race in 1982. By F1 standards I found the event to be rather pathetic and I was glad to see it disappear from the F1 calendar thereafter. The race was held at Caesar’s Palace (it was officially called the Caesar’s Palace Grand Prix). A temporary, makeshift circuit was set up in Caesar’s enormous car park. In my opinion, this was the worst circuit layout ever in F1. While the car park was huge for a parking lot, it was much too small an area in which to lay out a proper F1 racing circuit. Thus, in order to meet F1’s minimum circuit distance requirement in this compressed space the circuit was designed as a ridiculous series of three switchback loops that cut back and forth across the lot (circuit length was 2.268 miles). To put it mildly, the drivers were not impressed. They generally referred to it as being a Mickey Mouse circuit with some describing it as an overgrown go-kart course. In a manner unflattering for what is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsports, it kind of reminded me of those competitions in which a makeshift course is outlined by cones within a large parking lot. During the race it seemed so bizarre watching the cars constantly zooming back and forth across the lot. The circuit did have one good point from a spectator’s perspective (something that was rather unique among F1 circuits). By necessity, the grandstands had to be positioned along the perimeter of the circuit. So, this meant that with this compressed circuit sitting out in front of the grandstands, if you had a moderately high enough seat you were able to essentially see the entire circuit. Fortunately, the negative aspects didn’t keep me from enjoying getting to see in person the cars and drivers whose exploits I had been following over the course of the season.

Despite the Mickey Mouse circuit layout and the generally pathetic nature of the event, there were some notable points associated with the 1982 LV race. It was the last race of the ’82 season and with his 5th place finish Keke Rosberg clinched the drivers’ title. [Rosberg won only one race that season. This seems an unworthy win total for a WDC until you consider the fact that no driver won more than two races during that odd and tragic season.] And though they scored no points in the race, Ferrari clinched the constructors’ title. It was the first win for Michele Alboreto. This was Mario Andretti’s last F1 race (he was filling in for the badly injured Didier Pironi at Ferrari). Perhaps most notable of all, this was the last race for the ground effect cars (i.e., the end of the ground effect era)—and good riddance to them! I hated those cars and the drivers generally shared this sentiment.
So I take it that you don't like Las Vegas LOL My expectations aren't that high but at least the track looks like a "real" street track. I think if this track does well they should can Miami.

2 years ago
grosjean 2.jpg

2 years ago
A sober reminder of why fans and all who are associated with F1 should be so thankful for the much unloved halo. Unfortunately, F1 cars in 1974 didn’t have a cockpit halo. In that season a similar type accident occurred during the U.S. GP at Watkins Glen which produced an unspeakably horrific result. Early in the race Helmuth Koinigg’s Surtees-Ford crashed head-on into an Armco barrier. As with Grosjean’s crash, the bottom section of the barrier gave way and the car slid through under the still intact top section. Lacking the cockpit protection of anything like the halo, poor Helmuth was decapitated. It was the memory of this horror that popped into my mind when I first saw that Grosjean’s car had slid through under the top section of the Armco and I was so relieved upon seeing that he had climbed out the car. Ever since that ghastly 1974 incident I have had a passionate loathing of Armco barriers and wish that all circuits would employ only solid, single piece barriers.

A sober reminder of why fans and all who are associated with F1 should be so thankful for the much unloved halo. Unfortunately, F1 cars in 1974 didn’t have a cockpit halo. In that season a similar type accident occurred during the U.S. GP at Watkins Glen which produced an unspeakably horrific result. Early in the race Helmuth Koinigg’s Surtees-Ford crashed head-on into an Armco barrier. As with Grosjean’s crash, the bottom section of the barrier gave way and the car slid through under the still intact top section. Lacking the cockpit protection of anything like the halo, poor Helmuth was decapitated. It was the memory of this horror that popped into my mind when I first saw that Grosjean’s car had slid through under the top section of the Armco and I was so relieved upon seeing that he had climbed out the car. Ever since that ghastly 1974 incident I have had a passionate loathing of Armco barriers and wish that all circuits would employ only solid, single piece barriers.
without doubt 90% of F1 fans (including me) had to eat alot of humble pie. as how Grosjean escaped from that fire was a miracle

i guess we have to discuss the title decider with the highly dramatic final lap that took place on December 12th

& good on Jack brabham never giving up in 1959 at sebring & running out of fuel but pushing his car across the line to secure that 4th place to win his & the teams 1st world championship

Screenshot_20221212-211547_Samsung Internet.jpg

listening to a very interesting podcast "bring back V10s" where they discuss old races

it was only until today, that i realised that ferraris controversial stop & go penalty at the end of the race. was never actually needed to be taken. because it took place on lap 43 & FIA took 35 mins to respond on lap 57. theres a rule that states that any penalty given 25 mins after the incident occurred is void

also no one knows why they did a stop & go. because even if it was Valid
1) it was a time penalty, Ross Brawn & Stefano Domincali signed off on. not stop & go
2) it was only for 10 sec. & he was 25 seconds in the lead

that was a great win for ferrari, i remember thinking we got a championship like 2021 on the cards with 2 best drivers at that time. but its was a analomy with arguably hamilton most dominant season

but it did give me my favourite quote about sport from James Allison "This sports mainly misery but good days makes all those bad days worth it"

Back
Top Bottom