On this day/old race discussions

The reason we now have pit lane speed limits.
yeah that is 1 of thing ive noticed when i rewatched this, i think during the pandemic like alot of old races. its incredible that you could speed off at 100 + mph with all those people about

on a sidenote is that senna lap the best opening lap from any driver

Always overlooked from Donnington 93 because of Senna's opening lap is Ruben's Barrichello starting in 12th place in the Jordan Hart.

Senna qualified 4th and was first at the end of lap 1.

Rubens started 12th and was 4th by the end of lap 1. He was 3rd when he retired with mechanical issues with 6 laps to go.

Senna wasn't a saint, he was a very naughty boy.

I just feel it is too easy for people to over celebrate Senna's achievements. It appears that we aren't allowed to question whether he justifies the hagiography.

So what your saying is, you can't do something great if you're not great already?

i get the point from Andyoak that senna can be deified & romanised because of imola 1994. he almost certainly was no angel multiple drivers will attest to that. but it is forgotten he is also triple world champion & there's only 10 of them in F1 history (soon to be 11) only 7 since F1 been televised. so its pretty exclusive club & all of them are legendary

Barrichello had an incredible lap & he was very good in the rain just look like Spa 1993, Germany 2000 & Brazil 2009. but he only won 11 races same as Massa & less than Coulthard. but the way i interpreted his post was that senna is only thought of as a great because of how he died not because of 10 years before it

I've been trying to find the record for most places gained on the first lap. It looks to have been Michael Schumacher at Suzuka in 1998. He qualified on pole but stalled on the grid so started last. He finished lap 1 in 12th and made it up to 3rd before retiring with a puncture. Stat courtesy of a Mr Brian Lawrence, who some might remember as the man who developed the overtaking methodology this site built its reputation on.

Not quite. The formal reason was

it is always shocking seeing the number of people in the pit lane. It was always surprising that there had not been more injuries in the pitlane.
Another change that was done after this accident was that mechanics had to stay in the garage when not being ready for the pit stop.

I've been trying to find the record for most places gained on the first lap. It looks to have been Michael Schumacher at Suzuka in 1998. He qualified on pole but stalled on the grid so started last. He finished lap 1 in 12th and made it up to 3rd before retiring with a puncture. Stat courtesy of a Mr Brian Lawrence, who some might remember as the man who developed the overtaking methodology this site built its reputation on.
Damon Hill overtook nine cars on the first lap at Portuguese GP 1993, after he stalled on grid and had to start from the pit lane.

There isn't much footage of it I think. The screengrab shows him ahead of one Minardi and one Lola after the first corner, going side-by-side with another Lola.

Attachments

• hill por1993.png
    hill por1993.png
    163 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
yesterday it was 27 years since arguably 1 of the craziest races F1 has seen, where all the drivers that saw the chequered flag are in that picture, Johnny herbert will likely be only person to finish last & yet stand on the podium, also Frentzen & Salo had there joined best result of the season despite retiring with 2 & 5 laps to go

for me its always the race that shouldve been Damon Hill to join his dad in winning monaco, but for his engine blowing

temp 2.jpg

What was even wackier was that for much of the race, I was deeply confused as to why Schumacher was driving Coulthard's McLaren -

1684656591761.png

(Source: 1996 Monaco Grand Prix)

Schumacher had uncharacteristically crashed out on the first lap in the Ferrari, but then the McLaren - apparently driven by Schumacher then came second...

Of course, it was really because Coulthard's helmet kept steaming up, so he asked Schumacher if he could borrow a helmet (They had the same helmet manufactorer, and the Marlboro sponsorship was common), but, it was one of the few occasions where a driver raced with another driver's livery on their helmet.

Michele Alboreto won the last ever race for the Cosworth engine at Detroit in 1985.

appartantly this weekend they raced part of the old F1 track in the new location for detroit gp

Back
Top Bottom