Nico's outcry as Mercedes falter.

TBY

While I agree with the idea of limiting testing, I don't agree with an age limit. As I recall, Webber was either 26 or 27 when he started in F1 and would, therefore have been banned from testing under your proposal. I would prefer the limit to be set regarding a drivers years of F1 experience rather than their age.

Brogan said:
I fall somewhere between the two positions.

We saw the effect of the testing ban last season; Brawn had such a huge advantage over the rest of the grid that by the time they caught up it was too late and the season was over.
That wasn't good for the fans or F1.
That was also because they thought of something that no-one else did, or at least didn't implement during the winter. That's part of F1.
When Colin Chapman thought of the ground effect, it took the other teams quite awhile to catch up (and for him to perfect it, but when he had, he had a significant advantage).

siffert_fan said:
TBY

While I agree with the idea of limiting testing, I don't agree with an age limit. As I recall, Webber was either 26 or 27 when he started in F1 and would, therefore have been banned from testing under your proposal. I would prefer the limit to be set regarding a drivers years of F1 experience rather than their age.

Obviously, if we're going to devise a Clip The Apex Rulebook then there will need to be discussion and compromise, and your idea is a good one. Although, I was intending that the U25s were people who had yet to break into Formula One, so Maaaark (who was 25 on his GP debut) would still qualify.

Really, in the modern age, if you've not made your GP debut by 25, you're probably not going to make it.

Going back to Mercedes, I still view their performance as very much proportional to the amount of cash they had to sped on development. The Brawn GP car had (from memory of various articles I've read) £500million+ spent on it making it supposedly the most expensive F1 car ever developed, they made use of 6 different wind tunnels and brought in as much resource as possible including that of the ex-Super Aguri team & also Dome. This years car is largely the product of Brawn GP's development from last year which as we know was pretty tiny as they had no money, only the momentum from a very good car plus the extra money plughed in by Mercedes later on.

So purely from this simplistic view, I'm not personally surprised Mercedes are struggling. I fully expect them to do better next year - but by how much? They're certainly not going to be throwing money/resource at the team like Honda did in their last year(s) are they?

teabagyokel said:
siffert_fan said:
TBY

Obviously, if we're going to devise a Clip The Apex Rulebook then there will need to be discussion and compromise, and your idea is a good one. Although, I was intending that the U25s were people who had yet to break into Formula One, so Maaaark (who was 25 on his GP debut) would still qualify.

Really, in the modern age, if you've not made your GP debut by 25, you're probably not going to make it.

Just to be a pain in the ass :p

What about Damon Hill eh?? he was in his 30s when he first stepped in an F1 car wasn't he? certainly over 25 ;)

I was going to mention Damon, however, having thought about it I realised he was from a different era!!! :o

How the devil is Michael Schumacher still driving an F1 car?!! :crazy:

My solution is a bit more radical and probably totally unworkable: It would involve the current F1 teams competing in F2 races, with junior teams building cars and chassis, employing young engineers and drivers. Possibly even competing at unusual venues in unusual countries.

At the moment we have GP2 which is all well and good but it doesn't give teams, engineers and drivers with the kind of innovative and creative challenges that F1 faces. It is a huge leap from GP2 to F1 and too few of the teams and drivers make it successfully.

GP2 will more closely resemble F1 from next year as both series will be using exactly the same tyre from what I understand.

Hah! Speak of the devil... http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85014
The aerodynamic package of the car has been completely overhauled to bring it more into line with the current generation of Formula 1 cars.

This from a week ago: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84907
GP2 teams have given an enthusiastic welcome to the news that the series will race on Formula 1 tyres for the first time next season when Pirelli takes over as supplier.

Under the new three-year deal, GP2 will run its entire season on one of the harder compounds being prepared for F1. Up to this point, it has used a bespoke Bridgestone Potenza.

The change will also mark a switch to F1-style narrower front tyres, and will coincide with the introduction of the new-generation GP2/11 car.

It comes as part of an ongoing push by the series to retain as many links to F1 as possible - and iSport team boss Paul Jackson says it will make GP2 even more important for drivers trying to prepare for F1.

The biggest hurdle facing GP2 drivers though is simply the lack of seats - it's dead man's shoes in F1.

c_a_t's not doing a very good job of keeping this on topic is he? LOL :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom