Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

I'm amazed that no-one' talking about "that" first corner... Rosberg clearly learned from Bahrain, and squeezes Hamilton off the track at turn one! I was expecting that to be what everyone melted down about!

I'm amazed that no-one' talking about "that" first corner... Rosberg clearly learned from Bahrain, and squeezes Hamilton off the track at turn one! I was expecting that to be what everyone melted down about!
Nico locked up at the first corner and Lewis backed out to avoid contact..."Nico locked up and was struggling to slow the car down so I had to back out, but that's racing"
http://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/news/2014/2014-canadian-grand-prix-sunday-lewis-hamilton/

Apart from the psychological effects that Rosberg will have gained by A) taking pole at a Hamilton preferred circuit and B) keeping him behind him (by fair means or foul) at the first corner. Had Hamilton led in to the first corner would his brakes have given up the ghost? Who knows...

My Tuppence : Nico make a mistake on the brakes nothing premeditated about it. The stewards rightly looked at it and said mistake = no penalty but issuesd the warning because they did see an advantage being gained and wanted to avoid any repeat. All fully iaw the rules. So Nico was blameless and complied with stewards decision; nothing to get excited about.

However I do feel for Hamilton as I am sure he was odds on to win baring the brake gremlins ; to now be 22 points behind must rankle. Rosbergs one lap pace has surprised me but I imagine that over the season LH will still be faster in more races....

its only a matter of whose car breaks or is tagged by another car's accident next - if its Nico then game on but if its LH 3 DNF's could kill the season.

No-one is suggesting that Rosberg's initial mistake at the chicane was pre-meditated, but I wouldn't mind betting that if Hamilton had been in front and had missed his braking point, accelerated across the run-off area, set his fastest lap of the race and kept his position, that:
a) Nico would have been on the radio immediately and
b) Hamilton would have found himself driving slowly through the pit lane within three laps.

Not sure why people are comparing the Rosberg run off incident with Spa 08.

First off Hamilton wasn't attempting to pass Rosberg and wasn't along side.

Spa 08, Hamilton was behind Raikkonen, took the chicane and overtook him.

Rosberg was ahead and always was going into the corner then went off, and I've never seen anyone been under investigation for such an incident. Vergne wasn't under investigation when he went off when Raikkonen was on the inside of him, and that one was more questionable.

Brogan

In the past, drivers have only been penalized if:
  1. They overtook another driver by cutting the corner, (or put themselves in a position to overtake another driver by cutting the corner), and didn't return the place.
  2. They managed to prevent an overtake (when a driver was already attempting an overtake) by cutting the corner, and not allowing the other driver to pass
  3. They repeatedly cut a chicane.
Let me know what you think of this:

(Watch from 5:50 onwards)

Then let him past.

And was penalised using a rule retroactively created specifically for this incident.

As did Alonso to Klien two years previously at Suzuka, but no, we are going to continuously bring this up as if the stewards are against Hamilton.

My point was Rosberg wasn't anywhere behind Hamilton at one point and was clearly ahead, why is no one talking about Vergne against Raikkonen when it was more clear cut? Or the other previous time this has been done? I remember Hulkenberg did it three times at Monza in 2010 and got no penalty.

A penalty for this incident is never been given before.

Brogan
In the past, drivers have only been penalized if:
  1. They overtook another driver by cutting the corner, (or put themselves in a position to overtake another driver by cutting the corner), and didn't return the place.
Hamilton gave the place back but was still penalised.
So that's not quite correct, is it?

1. They managed to prevent an overtake (when a driver was already attempting an overtake) by cutting the corner, and not allowing the other driver to pass
Rosberg had lost so much momentum by massively locking his brakes that Hamilton would have passed him easily after the chicane.
So therefore Rosberg managed to prevent an overtake by cutting the corner.

Back
Top Bottom