Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

who the **** is Derek Daly?

Derek Daly is a former F1 and I think Indy car driver who was a commentator for SPEED here in the states, and father of Conner Daly who is now competing in GP2. Daly got my attention during the 2007 U.S. GP at Indianapolis working as a commentator along with Bob Varsha, David Hobbs, Steve Matchett and Peter Windsor. During that great battle between Hamilton and Alonso fighting for the race lead down the main straight, and Hamilton defending against Alonso's strong attack, was considered by Daly to be the worst form of blocking, when he said in an irritated tone, " I hate to see blocking like that in F1 ", although both Varsha and Hobbs disagreed at the time with his comments. Peter Windsor felt that duel between Lewis and Fernando was F1 at it's very, very best. Comments like his, from a well established racing driver here in the States like Daly, just pissed me the :censored: off.

So there can never be a straight fight with anyone at Monaco?

Sure there can be good clean fights between teammates, and there may have even been some passes at some point in the past. But I highly doubt that a teammate has ever passed his teammate for the lead on track at Monaco since the 60's or something. I wonder if teammates have even swapped podium positions on the circuit? Barring mistakes, retirements, and passing in the pits, qualifying decides the running order at the front in Monaco. It's just the way it is.

Not to go off topic but Derek Daly was a piss poor F1 driver. He lucked his way into a potential race winning Williams in 1982, the story is that after Carlos Reutemann suddenly retired Frank Williams said "Sign Derek" (meaning Warwick) but they signed Daly by mistake, and was take to the cleaners by Keke Rosberg. He only out qualified Rosberg at the Swiss (French) GP and, by all accounts, he did this by cutting one of the corners. Rosberg did win the race though.

Daly disappeared without trace afterwards, well, he raced as unsuccessfully in CART as he had in F1. I'm not sure what qualifies him to be a driver steward but then what qualifies any of the old drivers who turn up at races as driver stewards apart from having been a driver? Perhaps there is an argument for having a full time driver steward. If there is I'd go for Derek Warwick.

Coulthard's reaction to the cutting of the chicane was that since Hamilton was not in an overtaking position then Rosberg would not be penalised but he would get a warning. What did Martin Brundle say about it?

Not much as far as I can remember, I think he just said the stewards will probably want to take a look at that or something similar.

In my opinion most of the drivers out there would have done exactly the same thing in that situation, flooring the throttle that is, so there's no point in getting mad at Rosberg have a pop at the stewards instead if anyone feels that way....

Last edited:
Maybe there should be some sort of speed bumps in the run off area the driver has to negotiate to get back on to the track in that way the penalty for missing the chicane is immediate and the same for everyone without steward involvement or is that just to sensible for F1?

Brundle was expecting a penalty due the the acceleration through the chicane, he didn't notice Nico then slowed during the subsequent two, which was information at the stewards disposal.

Back
Top Bottom