Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

I think what I'm trying to say is that if Lewis only real rival is Rosberg then the only person who can beat him is himself. I'm sorry but I don't put them in the same league as each other. If Lewis gets beat by Rosberg for the title this year then it means he's probably had his worst season ever.

I have to say I agree because Rosberg has not really beaten Lewis in a straight fight and Lewis is displaying traits of Senna's intensity and some of his mind games He seems to have that fire and determination in him that makes him very tough to beat

A DNF does not add up to a car disadvantage, it just adds up to a points disadvantage which he has overhauled, Nico could also have a DNF at any race the playing field is completely even in that respect, stuff doesn't only happen to Lewis you know...

Actually ExtremeNinja Quintessentially my point was that as the merc is clearly the front car it is much easier to pull DNF's than it was in 2012.

As proven by Rosberg in China even if a Merc driver has an off weekend and makes errors they will still (most probably) pick up a second place. The same could not be said in 2012 where unless you brought your A game you prob wouldn't even get a podium.

I'm not saying its not difficult to pull back a DNF this year I'm just saying that with the Merc having the biggest pace advantage we've seen in a car since Williams in the early 90's that Lewis will have a far easier job pulling the points back than he would have done in 2012.

My guess is never (I checked back to 1975) but there are cases of drivers winning three in a row and not winning the WDC, e.g. Schumacher in 2006.

I'm sorry to say this, however, with the Merc as dominant as it is over the other teams, and Lewis being so dominant over his team mate, regardless of how close Nico has been, the only things in the way of Lewis and a well deserved second championship are:
1) Reliability
2) Lewis
I cannot see a situation where with both Mercs finishing every race, that Lewis does not win comfortably.

Rhetoric being what it is, there is the desire to downplay things, which is fine, but Red Bull never had this level of dominance, neither did Brawn, I think you have to go a way back to find a car as quick relative to all competitors. That may close through the season, but there is a large gap to close, and that assumes that Merc do not develop themselves.

So personally, I do not see this as many others do, I see it as Lewis' year, with Nico playing the Rubens role, being there or there abouts, but not really having the firepower to overcome.

So poor luck, potential pit-stop errors, poor strategy, accidents, force majeure (like the sudden downpour at Spa a few years ago when he was leading, met the paddle first and round he went )etc don’t count?? The list is not exhaustive. The tendency to downplay things is equally matched by a tendency to put him forward as the clear favourite. He’s clearly a superior driver to Rosberg no question but he is by no means dominating him despite 4wins in row. Vettel benefitted greatly as defacto number 1 and a relatively inferior number 2. Hamilton doesn’t have this. I would also suggest that Hamilton’s superior speed has enhanced the Mercs dominance and he’s taking Rosberg along with him. How you define dominance comes down to how much you think is car and how much is driver.

Last edited:
I do find this new tendency to downplay Lewis' obvious superiority to Rosberg faintly amusing, given how long and loudly people have been trumpeting his greatness since 2007. It really seems like the Hamiltonistas are nervous that it will all unravel again, like his debut year, and daren't "put the Murray" on him by stating what everyone else can see is a bit of a foregone conclusion regarding this year's WDC.

(of course, if it does start to unravel later in the season, it will make for quite an exciting championship...)

Seriously, any force majeure is as likely to impact Nico as it is Lewis.

Irrespective of Lewis' status within the team, early indications are very good for Lewis, heck, the only race he has not won he did not even compete in.

In any other season, that would be deemed to be very favourable. It is not as if Nico has had any significant issues not of his own making (unless I have a major blind spot here)

I have no problem with this at all, I mean, its not as if Lewis has not had his share of trauma through the years, he has worked very hard for this opportunity, and thoroughly deserves it. I can see Nico nicking a couple of wins this season, and getting the upper hand in some events, however, I think that the season will likely carry on the way it has been going.

The car is dominant, Lewis has yet to be beaten at the chequered flag five races in. Not saying he will win all of them, and yes there is still a way to go, however, to not acknowledge the situation is to do Lewis a huge disservice.

Can I just point out that Webber became the 'inferior number 2' because Vettel constantly beat him into submission. I can think of two occasions when Red Bull issued team orders and only one of them was in favour of Seb. Which coincidently is the exact same amount of times Merc have played team orders for Hamilton in favour of Rosberg.

The first season proper Red Bull had a championship winning car Vettel very much had Webber as a challenge very much similar to the way Hamilton has a challenge from Rosberg this season.

Vettel beat Webber and then Webber could never get back at him in the years that followed. I'd take a bet the same thing will happen with Lewis and Nico this year.

Rosberg has pretty much the same rep as Webber did going into 2010. Lets not big one up and bash the other down to make Lewis seen better.

Hamilton is doing a great job as it is. We don't need to try and make his effort seem more 'heroic' by exaggerating everything around him.

Last edited:
RasputinLives -There is no need to always make subtle digs to put a point across. A combination of factors clearly contributed to Webber eventually ending up as number 2, Vettel's superiority aside. Vettel was quite clearly favoured by the Redbull hierarchy. Within 5races, Mercedes have allowed more parity than Redbull ever did in the past 4years.

Back
Top Bottom