Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

The hardest thought championship since 2007?

Hmmm. Putting aside the fact we've missed out the 5 way battle of 2010 that went down to the very wire I still don't think if this years title battle turns out to be Rosberg/Hamilton all the way it would compare to 2007.

2007 had two teams at the top their games and 4 drivers in those cars where it was completely unpredictable as to which of the 4 was goimg to turn up that weekebd and be quickest.

In 2014 so far we have one team dominating with one driver being consistantly the best whilst the other is struggling to convert his obvious speed into winning results on race day but is getting closer.

Don't get me wrong, its hard thought, just not in the same catogry as 2007 yet.

I agree with all your points and it's still early days. The battlefield is very different. There are the ingredients for a two man dual to the finish line with neither letting up. Neither can rely on others to help them out or get in between them, either. This one is mano-a-mano.

We won't see anything like the fluctuations that we saw in previous battles where teams make gains and fall behind. It's a two-man spec series.

The reason I mention 2007 is because there was a two man intra-team dual going on then at McLaren. The drivers ended up on equal points and through their in-fighting let the external enemy through the door at the last knockings.

Whether this realises my prophisised status as an all-time classic or not, it will always be in a different category to 2007, purely because the ingredients are very different.

This championship has me salivating.

This championship has me luke warm at the moment.

I didn't think there was any chance of Rosberg beating Hamilton over a season before 2014 and I've seen nothing in the first 5 races that has changed my mind on that. I just don't think Rosberg can string it together consistantly.

I'm hoping another team comes into play (long shot I know) but even then this title is pretty much Hamilton's to throw away.

...or have cruely taken from him through no fault of his own. the fact that it's the two of them means that to be safe he needs to beat him in every race.

Of course, the demons could just as easily strike for Rosberg.

3 drivers within 1 point is pretty tight and there was genuine comptition for the whole season. The championship swung so much. I don't think I've see quite so much pressure on a driver since then or such a sustained fight between top-class drivers in equal equipment.

...or have cruely taken from him through no fault of his own. the fact that it's the two of them means that to be safe he needs to beat him in every race.

Of course, the demons could just as easily strike for Rosberg.

I think what I'm trying to say is that if Lewis only real rival is Rosberg then the only person who can beat him is himself. I'm sorry but I don't put them in the same league as each other. If Lewis gets beat by Rosberg for the title this year then it means he's probably had his worst season ever.

but because of a retirement that we can only imagine was not his own fault
A hairline split in the side of a rubber tube that holds the Mercedes spark plug was the cause of Lewis Hamilton's retirement from the Formula 1 season opener in Australia, AUTOSPORT has learned.

Hamilton was forced to withdraw from the race in Melbourne after his engine dropped a cylinder at the start of the race.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/113152

Is F1 not like top trumps? Dam. I thought who was the best was decided by people voting on the internet.

I understand where you are coming from and yes, mechanical issues do happen but they do tend to even themselves out for the year and even with an extra one or two he should still beat Rosberg.

I will say again. This is Lewis title to lose but please note that doesn't mean I am unaware that he could suffer from extreme misfourtune just that if things play out the way they have been doing then he should beat Rosberg with ease.

As much as we've been talking about how Rosberg has had the pace etc etc he has not beat Lewis once in the first 5 races which hasn't happened since he was paired with Kovi.

Perhaps we could take one small leaf out of the past and have a one race bad result allowance, i.e. top total-number-of-races-minus-one scores apply. I seem to recall that approach was used before. Of course this also includes removing the double-points fiasco ...

We have that in our kart series. Our championship is measured on the best 9 rounds of 11. It's a get out of jail free card for times when you get boot moved under braking or on the rare occassion when you get a bogey kart.

Makes everything a lot fairer.

It also spices up the championship battle because you never know who might drop a round at the end. Also, it helps for drivers who cannot make it to a particular round because they are having a baby or something, but that's an irrelevance.

Back
Top Bottom