Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

I hardly think the two mechanical retirements he suffered in the first three races (as it turned out pretty costly) can be attributed to anything he would have had any control over.
When you consider his narrow (28 points) gap to third-placed man Webber after 19 Grand Prix I really don't think his consistancy was found wanting.

I think it's the Pirellis and DRS more than the fame, the drivers are forced to drive well within the potential of the car to nurse the tyres and often don't have to work very hard to overtake the car in front. F1 races are now about running to a target lap time, not going out all guns blazing, and going out all guns blazing and being incredibly late on the brakes is what Lewis was/is all about.

I find that incredibly frustrating and a decent number of drivers have complained about it too, most notably Webber.

Last edited:
Ok so imo, Lewis did a better Job overall, he got more points after all. Also he had alot more to deal with than nico from the start of the season. Yes nico had some dnfs, but he was trailing lewis in those races. Also nico gained because of bad luck Lewis had too, Silverstone being a perfect example. Also someone said nico looked hungrier? But how? I mean, in the final 2 races lewis outperformed nico after his chassis was replaced. No driver could dominate nico without number 1 status, I do think it won't be as close next season tho.

I think it's the Pirellis and DRS more than the fame, the drivers are forced to drive well within the potential of the car to nurse the tyres and often don't have to work very hard to overtake the car in front. F1 races are now about running to a target lap time, not going out all guns blazing, and going out all guns blazing and being incredibly late on the brakes is what Lewis was/is all about.

I find that incredibly frustrating and a decent number of drivers have complained about it too, most notably Webber.

sushi......hopefully the two stop rule and other suggestions will be considered and implemented by the F1 Commission and FIA, which could reduce the emphasis on tire strategy, and possibly bring about full throttle racing, due to the less concern for excessive tire wear during a race..........one can only hope.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111657

IMO the tyres have played the biggest role in Hamilton's lack of WDCs since 2008 (notwithstanding not having a car that could genuinely regularly compete with RB). Hamilton is a racer and his last-of-the-late-brakers style and ability to overtake where others thought it wasn't possible have been impacted by the fact that a single aborted overtake destroys your tyres. For me the last couple of seasons have been a black spot for F1. Yes you've always had to manage your tyres, but you've not always had to give them a massage and play pan pipes in the background while they sleep in order for them to last ... :(

If he is not utterly committed to winning the WDC why is he taking a seat away from some other driver who is? WDC trophies last longer than the bodies of the opposite sex, this holds good for both sexes.

I think Nico is, and always has been, seriously underrated. He has always delivered against the very best, only being beaten by his team mate in 2 out of his 8 F1 seasons.
The same cannot be said of many.

I don't think Hamilton has lost anything, I agree that his 2007 season was one of his best but I think 2012 was his absolute best with 2013 also being impressive in hindsight.

(in fact he only has 1 bad season)

There are a few factors, as others have said, the current tyres don't actually allow real racing, its about driving to lap targets now. In many ways its about driving slow enough to win. Which imo makes driver skill less important than before. The DRS has messed things up a bit as well, the sight of drivers trying to fall behind each other ahead of the activation point is a bit silly.

Plus the Red-Bull car is dominant, "being in a Red-Bull" has really become a must for winning championships.

If the FIA are thinking about "forcing" 2 stops per race that for me is proof that they should never have got rid of refuelling. I've always said that was a mistake and this for me proves it.

Bring back refueling and bring back tyres that the drivers can race with!!!

the current tyres don't actually allow real racing, its about driving to lap targets now. In many ways its about driving slow enough to win.
That doesn't seem to apply to Vettel nothing can slow that man down he wins by a country mile no matter what they throw at him and no matter how much his race engineer and TP plead with him to slow down, maybe LH should drive flat out and see what happens instead of lamely following the teams orders.

Back
Top Bottom