Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

Bill Boddy at racing speeds though, relative to each other they will seem almost stationary. That's what allowed this sort of thing at speeds of 200mph or so without them touching:
esp912.jpg

According to 20.4 in the FIA regulations it would appear that a significant portion of Nico's car was alongside Lewis.

20.4 Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.
For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'.

Does this only apply to straights or does it also apply to the chicanes? In which case perhaps the stewards should have considered penalising Lewis...

Last edited:
I have to say that too many commentators have pointed out how difficult it would be to intentionally inflict damage on a tyre. When it seems to me that if your front wing is alongside the rear wheel of your opponent you should be fully aware of this fact. If in arguing your case to the stewards you said: "well I thought perhaps, maybe, possibly my wing was somewhere near the rear wheel of the guy in front" you would be laughed out of the meeting. You know where your front wing is. You know that if you turn your wheel so much, that it will either make contact with the guy in front or you might both get lucky. You might miss his wheel entirely and you'll both live to fight another day.

With the input that Nico made it was categorically more probable that contact would be made that not.

Last edited:
The root cause of this entire affair was when a team that insisted on not instituting team orders decided to try and do just that. They immediately realized the folly of this action, yet Nico was still incensed about Hungary when the team reconvened Thursday before the GP. The ensuing drama was a direct consequence of Rosberg believing that it was a legitimate "order", while the team said it should have never been delivered in the first place.

Nico and Lewis have been harbouring grudges and distrust since Bahrain and possibly prior. The climate of hostility is the product of a system whereby the Mercedes drivers are only separated by a twisted "he who pits first wins" zeitgeist.

"clumsy"

I suspect that if Davidson had done that piece about 45 minutes later, after the written press had spoken to Lewis and Toto, then "clumsy" would not have been his word of choice. With everything that is known now, "clumsy" is indeed much too kind.

I still think that analysis is worth a view though.

It was the annual Mercedes 'fun day' last Sunday - Brixworth and Brackley mingle in a pleasant and well-catered environment.

Lewis flew in, Nico drove and neither were seen to have spoken a word to each other. Glad to see that the dust has settled and the apology accepted!

Back
Top Bottom