New rules for 2011 & 2013

So after 2 years they have decided that big wings didn't work, just like the 1980s by the looks of it, but much safer and with different style turbos.

Nothing in stone yet, but this image has been floating around. Although di Montezemolo has confirmed he will not be driving as this shot was just for publicity...

Anyone's guess as to whether pet co-drivers will be allowed...

dastardly__muttley.jpg

I expected them to look very similair to this.There is a chassis pic in the article as well

untitled.jpg

"Instead, I expect to see a conventional looking car with a curved bottom. It will produce a venturi effect and provide about 60% of the total downforce. I would expect to see the wing size reduced and the shapes simplified. I suspect it will be a lot like the DP-01 that was used by Champ Car in 2007. The car will be safe and predictable."

http://www.formula1journal.com/2010/09/ ... lood1.html

For those too lazy to click the link the F1 Journal link :snigger: here's the BBC summary of the TWG suggestions:

* Much smaller front and rear wings;
* A far greater proportion of the total downforce of the cars will be created by the underfloor, compared to the wings;
* A major reduction in the amount of total downforce created by the car;
* To achieve this, the underfloor of the cars will be shaped along its length to generate downforce for the first time since the 1982 season - currently cars have bottoms that are flat between the wheels;
* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;
* Tyres will remain large and chunky to ensure cornering speeds remain high.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 307861.stm

One important point, the plan is to make the centre of the car lower than the outer edge so that pseudo skirts can't be employed and create a true ground effect car. I'm sure Adrian Newey will have some ideas on flexible side pods to overcome this...

There's only 1 rule there that concerns me.

* The average proportion of a lap that a driver is able to spend on full throttle to be cut from 70% in 2010 to 50% in 2013;

How will this be enforced? Doesn't a track layout determine how much throttle you can put down at any one point? Will they be adding extra chicanes at Silverstone, Monza and Spa to bring the average throttle time down??

F1Yorkshire said:
There's only 1 rule there that concerns me.

How will this be enforced? Doesn't a track layout determine how much throttle you can put down at any one point? Will they be adding extra chicanes at Silverstone, Monza and Spa to bring the average throttle time down??

I think this refers to the actual ability of the driver to drive the wheels off the car not a rule that he will have to get off the throttle if he has spent more than 50 percent of the lap on it.

Take for example, Eau Rouge at Spa. In the good old days only the bravest of the brave risked going flat through there but with todays cars it's flat all the way through and it's just another series of corners. The idea of these new rules I guess are to ensure that cars are later on to the throttle and earlier onto the brakes due to a lack of downforce.

cider_and_toast said:
The idea of these new rules I guess are to ensure that cars are later on to the throttle and earlier onto the brakes due to a lack of downforce.

Won't their be similar levels of downforce though to what we already have? It will just be generated by the underfloor instead of the wings.

If they can modify the regulations to make sure the car needs to be treated with more respect it will seperate the good drivers from the average.

Seems the teams have decided against any changes, but worryingly FIA stil have the power to force it through - hence bickering threats and eventual signing of new concorde agreement loook inevitable. The shaped undertray has been the main issue of contention, although all other rules have been passed or slightly tweaked. The teams are complaining about cost, yet only den one rule, which seems odd :sDoes a new undertray cost that much to design?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13412925.stm

I think this refers to the actual ability of the driver to drive the wheels off the car not a rule that he will have to get off the throttle if he has spent more than 50 percent of the lap on it.

Take for example, Eau Rouge at Spa. In the good old days only the bravest of the brave risked going flat through there but with todays cars it's flat all the way through and it's just another series of corners. The idea of these new rules I guess are to ensure that cars are later on to the throttle and earlier onto the brakes due to a lack of downforce.

Rain will help - especially at Spa.

They kept DRS for 2013?! I thought it was meant as a stop gap until the new rules which decrease aero dependence? I hope I have misread...

They kept DRS for 2013?! I thought it was meant as a stop gap until the new rules which decrease aero dependence? I hope I have misread...

That also disappointed me a lot. I understand the need to control costs, but if not now, when will we get cars that are 'natural passers'?

Back
Top Bottom