New Horizons: Voyage to Pluto.

They were toying with the idea of Pluto being rich in radio active material like uranium which would keep it warm enough to have a liquid core. Uranium is produced in supernova.

How will they ever know though? It's a lot easier to tell what's on a planet's surface than within its core... we don't even really know what our own planet's core is like?...

It's weird to think of really... we know more about the composition of extra-solar planets' atmosphere than we do about what's lying deep under our own feet.

Last edited:
We make educated assumptions about extra terrestrial planets, based on what we know and understand about our own planet. And we do have a fairly good picture about our planets core, mainly down to earthquake technology.
Looking up one of my old text books, tells me that there are two main types of seismic waves that travel through the Earth P-waves and S-waves. S-waves can only pass through solid material, but P-waves can pass through both solid and liquid. In seismic experiments P-waves reach the other side of the planet, but S-waves never do, therefore the assumption is that there is a fluid middle, or at least a partly fluid middle.
There is a whole chapter on the layering of our planet and the composition of the layers all based on the results of seismic testing. But it's very dry and doesn't make for exciting reading, probably more interesting if your "out there" doing the testing.

:sleeping:

It's not the core, it's the top layer, the crust ( or the Mantel ) down to and maybe through the Moho ( the Morhorovitch discontinuity).
We have nothing, other than seismic waves that can reach the core.

Last edited:
No, I've just got the book off the shelf, "When the World Screamed" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle featuring Professor Challenger, he was also in "The Lost World and "The Poison Belt". What happened when he drilled the hole is given away by the title.

Just shows what you can find when you get away from the computer.

"The Lost World" - The Strand Magazine April to November 1912
"The Poison Belt" - The Strand Magazine March to July 1913
" When the World Screamed"- The Strand Magazine April to May 1928

There is no suggestion of copying but these do have some similarities with "The Lost World":

"King Kong" - a film 1933
"Jurassic Park" - a novel Michael Crichton 1990
"The Lost World" a sequel to "Jurassic Park" 1995 Michael Crichton.

Absolutely different:

"A Voyage to the Centre of the Earth" - Jules Verne 1864

None of the above have any connection with Pluto whatsoever, just my inane ramblings.

"The Lost World" -

There is no suggestion of copying but these do have some similarities with "The Lost World":

--------------------

Oh I wasn't suggesting anything like that, simply that all those works being published towards the end of the 19th century made me wonder as to whether the centre of the earth was an object of particular fascination at the time among the population.

...and right on cue, getting back on topic with the first of latest high-res images:

pressimagecontext_12-10-15.jpg

Zooming in on Pluto’s Pattern of Pits

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom