NASCAR NASCAR

I'm sorry, it was a very fast traffic jam. I don't care how close it was at the end. Did they throw out a full course yellow 10 laps form the finish as they often do, just to close the pack up? And, on another ranty point, did you see the technology, or should should I say lack of technology. These cars still use tubular space frames. The last time I saw tech like this it was on grass track racing cars.

Hokum!

They don't need to throw yellows at Daytona to bunch the field up because its impossible to drive away from anybody there due to the draft effects. And yeah, the tech obviously isn't the point, although some of the safety technology they have in NASCAR is state of the art.

For those that enjoyed it, I'm pleased you did. I didn't want to come across as anti-US racing but please don't make comparisons with F1 as there aren't any to be made - enjoy it for what it is.

Of course they can't be compared FB, I wasn't intending to give that impression. My point was comparing the American approach to motor racing in general by equalising the technology in all forms of the sport to bring the drivers to the fore, which has the effect of creating a strong driver/fan connection. My only comparison was related to F1 learning from the American approach, the danger of course is creating a European version of IRL which would destroy F1's elite position as the pinnacle of Motorsport.

FB.... just a couple of points, they don't throw a yellow to bunch up the field. Although it's not the intention to wreck another competitor NASCAR is very much a contact sport and there's a lot of knocking and bumping in the closing laps on the super speedways of Daytona and Talledaga, cautions are essential to sweep debris off the track. Even something small can be deadly at 200mph. Tubular space frames are chosen for the same reason, their ability to survive severe knocks, return to pit lane, have a panel repaired or replaced and return to the race. Using monocoque technology would render half the field to the scrap heap after every race. Although DTM are monocoque the drivers protection is provided by a roll cage that is space frame technology as are the majority of touring cars raced all over the world. It's just a case of using the best technology for the type of racing a car is designed for, tubular space frames are still superior in some cases.

They throw a yellow in IRL to bunch the field Kewee. As to the chassis technology, surely it should be about driver protection and monocoque would do this better than a tubular frame chassis. BTCC is very different as these are, ostensibly, road cars put on the track. NASCAR cars are bespoke race cars.

I believe that the last death in NASCAR racing (non-dirt car) was over 20 years ago. I don't see how anyone can claim that the cars lack driver protection.

We may be talking cross purposes here FB or maybe we just need to agree to disagree. With Scott Dixon racing IRL I never miss a race and I've never seen a yellow thrown to bunch up the field. They throw a yellow to clear an accident and remove any debris. During the caution laps the field is bunched in the interests of safety by creating a clean restart but bunching the field is not the initial purpose of the yellow, the same applies in NASCAR. Regarding chassis technology, monocoque is immensely strong and the only choice for a modern single seater but in other forms of race car construction tubular space frame is also immensely strong with the added advantage of being repairable. As I mentioned in my last posting, DTM undoubtedly the most advanced touring cars on the planet, are monocoque construction but the roll cage providing driver protection is tubular space frame technology, the same as NASCAR. If monocoque was superior for driver protection in these type of cars, DTM would be using it.

Last edited:
I haven't watched many IRL races Kewee but one of the few I did watch, last year I think, had a full course caution thrown 10 laps from the end when there wasn't any accident to clear. The commentators were completely bemused by the action and it turned out just to be to bunch the field up. It probably doesn't happen very often but it has on one of the few occasions I've taken time to watch one of the races.

BTW - I love the NASCAR feeder series which runs on road circuits rather than ovals. Watching the drivers try and control these brutes of machines around a circuit with more than just left hand corners was quite something.

I was referring to the Cup series only.

Now look up the number of drivers killed in F1 and all of it's feeder series over the years and tell me how much safer monocoques are.

Hi FB, I must have missed the race you mentioned, I stand corrected. Sounds like a very rare occurrence if the commentators were bemused, as I said I've never seen that. :)

To add to my posting. There was a race last season when there was an on track incident that probably didn't require a yellow but they threw one anyway. The cars were circulated for ever, also unnecessary but it did provide a safe restart. From memory there was a car in what was deemed to be an unsafe position which was why the caution was held for so long. This one incident was rare though, maybe this was the race you were referring to.

Back
Top Bottom