NASCAR does F1

Thats great news. Looking forward to another team on the grid. I'm not expecting them to be shit either. Haas has got a state of the art wind tunnel a CNC machining empire and a good history in NASCAR. In my book that all points to coming in at the back of the midfield.

Bernie suggests we'll have a full grid of 26 by 2015 but no sign of the other team yet.

A full grid of 26! Can't even remember when that last happened. Gone are the days of Pre-qualifying Thursdays. I remembervthe Jordan team always storming those in 1991.

It will be interesting to see how the Haas team works out. I personally think its going to be a miserable failure and the team will fold within 5 years but we shall see. Hass wouldnt be the first person with deep pockets who has tried to compete in F1 and fail. Just look at the Toyota team from not all that many years ago who had the backing of the biggest car company in the world and couldnt get it done.
I was reading earlier today that they want to field an American driver and I honestly dont know where theyre going to find one who can compete and win in F1.
As for F1 being able to catch on in America, I dont know about that. Indy racing is pretty much dead and I just dont see the average American getting excited about F1, unless theres an American driver who is winning all the time. Its a shame too because F1 is superior to NASCAR in every possible way.

Last edited:
I agree Shogun that people with a lot more money have failed in F1. Just look at Caterham. Having experience running an motor racing team may help but I wouldn't be entirly shocked if what you said came true. You have to be in it too succeed though.

As for a top American driver. There best bet would be either Alexander Rossi or Conor Daly who have shown a fair bit of speed in the feeder series and know the F1 scene.

Probably the only real success with a completely new team in the past 25 years or so was the Stewart team. This was achieved by hiring/poaching as many experienced F1 engineers/designers as possible. The opposite approach was made by Toyota who started from scratch. So if Haas approach it in the right manner they may just possibly succeed, otherwise they would be better off giving their money to charity.

Shogun

Are you saying that American drivers lack the ability or the willingness to risk their career by competing in F1, which hasn't exactly been overwhelmingly welcoming of Americans in recent years?

Well, I think they'll do pretty well and cement the future of F1 in North America

Edit: I have taken this comment and removed the sodding spell check effect

Last edited:
I think that the only 2 ways to entice an American driver to compete in Formula 1 are:

Either find one that is already competing in junior series on F1 tracks, or get a youngster and put him/her into such a series

or: Commit to at least a two-year obligation. To expect a driver to learn both a new type of car and a bunch of tracks they have never seen before and be competetive all in the first year,as was the case with Michael Andretti, is farcical, particulary with testing and therefore seat time, being limited by regulations.

Shogun

Are you saying that American drivers lack the ability or the willingness to risk their career by competing in F1, which hasn't exactly been overwhelmingly welcoming of Americans in recent years?
I dont think they have the ability. NASCAR isnt F1. Heck, Indy cars arent F1. Can you imagine any NASCAR driver winning in F1? Remember Scott Speed? Howd that work out?
I just dont see it because F1 is such a different animal than any kind of other racing. You have to be able to drive the car on the edge for the entire weekend and not make a mistake, not to mention you have the added strategy of managing fuel and managing when you use the ERS and DRS systems.
Even for Haas, someone who has been successful in NASCAR and has deep pockets, F1 is so much more technical and cutthroat than NASCAR is that I have my doubts. I do wish him all the luck in the world. More teams in F1 is a great thing and Id love to see an American team be successful. It really would be a good thing for everyone but I just think that Haas is going to find a lot of problems trying to compete in F1.

I don't think they lack the ability, but more so the drive when they can get pretty easy money in NASCAR
Exactly. NASCAR is easy money and IMO doesnt take the skill that F1 does. Thats why you see American drivers either staying in Indy cars or making the jump to NASCAR, not moving to F1.

Bill Boddy - To be fair, Jordan were also very successful for a start-up within the last 25 years.

I predict that Rossi will probably be one of the drivers, but I do believe that only one driver will be picked by nationality. They could show they're serious by taking a solid midfield driver in search of a new project - Paul di Resta? I don't know, but I doubt that Haas are going to be jingoistic enough to ruin their own chances.

Do I think there's scope for a successful American driver in Formula One? Of course there is! I just hope the Americans can win a title without their team-mate dying at Monza...

It certainly seems like Haas wants to come in with an American driver. That would be cool, I just dont know of any American drivers who are ready for F1. God help us if Haas decides to give Danica Patrick a ride in F1. She is currently under contract with him in NASCAR, afterall and she does have open-wheel experience, although most would seriously question her talent level.

I think they should go for American Alexander Rossi, he may not be a red hot talent but he has F1 experience as Caterhams test driver. I do feel its important for them to have an american driver in order to appeal to the american fans. The second driver should be an experienced driver perhaps Diresta, Kobayashi or similar.

I'm sure Koby and Rossi would jump at the chance of getting out of Caterham.
DiResta would also appeal to the american market due to the family link with Dario Franchetti. He deserves another run in F1 IMO.

God help us if Haas decides to give Danica Patrick a ride in F1. She is currently under contract with him in NASCAR, afterall and she does have open-wheel experience, although most would seriously question her talent level.
One win at the Twin Ring Motegi.
Best three finishes in the Indy 500, 6th, 4th and 3rd.
Best points finishes for the Indy Championship, 7th, 6th and 5th.
She's been praised by many of America's top drivers, in Tony Stewarts words, "she's been successful in every form of motorsport she has competed in.
I'm not sure what the girl needs to do for you to recognise her obvious talent.

Last edited:
Patrick is at her best on ovals though Kewee which is why she's never made the switch already

Rossi does seem the obvious choice but I'd be inclined to go for Conor Daly. Conor has had a lot of experience in lots of different formulas (including driving at the Indy 500) and has been on the pace in all of them. Throw in the fact he's a second generation driver and you have the media interest.

I see why people are suggesting Di Resta because of the Franchetti connection but I can't see him being the right fit media wise for Haas. Moaning at the team is not going to go down well. Plus there are probably better choices for them to sound out.

Back
Top Bottom