Technical Moveable rear wings (DRS)

Michael Schumacher said in his tour of the new regulations that the DRS is full-proof, any failure and the force of the air will close the gap, restoring downforce. But very amusingly he adds as an aside, whispered under breath remark: "Unless of course you want it to fail in the up position." Or words to that effect. :snigger: No word of a lie listen for yourself... 2:25

Oh I'm not concerned about the system or the mechanism failing, I was thinking more about the operator of said contraption. All I know is that I wouldn't want to be in front of Webber during practice or quali where DRS use is unregulated.*

*(I'm just joking Webber fans, he is a fine pilot!)

Any reason why?
I thought use of it was unlimited throughout all practice sessions, including practice qualifying?

As for not being able to overtake the cars in front....it's a little early for me to say I told you so...so I won't just yet :D

The FIA wanted to test their activation system to prove that it worked.
The teams all agreed to this suggestion and thats how it happened.

Anyone else spot this.
Any reason why?
I thought use of it was unlimited throughout all practice sessions, including practice qualifying?

As for not being able to overtake the cars in front....it's a little early for me to say I told you so...so I won't just yet :D

Yes it was mentioned during the session, Think its just for that session so the teams and the FIA could do a dummy run of it for the race. The Vettel Alonso thing may be a little OTT because if it was what we saw on screen basically as soon as we saw them it started to rain. You dont want to be sending one up the inside during pratice and trashing the car.

As far as my memory of this morning goes, I'm reasonably sure the track was damp during the last half hour of FP2, so maybe the teams were not really pushing as hard as they might, in terms of overtaking... It was only free practice after-all. What could be gained from finding the limit re overtaking using the help from the RDS, if it means you're in the wall.

I wouldn't write off the RDS just yet. :)

EDIT: Posted as AMR was posting - I was beaten to it! :snigger:

In addition to the gentleman's agreement/FIA systems test, the usage of DRS was completely restricted at one point because there was a car on the track with Inters apparently. At least that's what was reported on the SPEED broadcast.

What we saw from the system today was a bit underwhelming. The most interesting thing I saw was Vettel using it for a significant portion of the lap in FP1.

Webber was definitely being cautious out there though. :D

Also I saw Massa, and maybe a couple of others too, go into the gravel seemingly due to the DRS not shutting itself off early enough on braking to regain downforce for entry into a corner, suggesting that previously expressed thoughts about the drivers having to close the device manually may be correct.
Which could have an unintended additional effect on overtaking, in that drivers might make more mistakes, potentially leading to more passing and/or collisions.

As far as I know, the system was essentially unregulated today except for a brief portion of FP2. The race should be the only time the flap gets automatically shut.

Edit -

The first DRS Overtake of 2011, Rosberg on Vettel?

Also I've noticed that the DRS is almost like a brake light system for the car following. Wonder if this new info can be used by the driver behind to judge when is best to try and out brake the car in front........Unless it is of course a Toyota which would end up in the gravel trap:
prius.gif

Oh of course silly me.............

DRS fail as far as I'm concerned based on today's race.

I disagree. I think it was just in the wrong place. The corners leading up to the straight was a major disadvantage to the following car so when they went down that straight it wasn't a great place to pass. One failure of it was the overtakes weren't particularly exciting. They did look artificial and most of the time were completed by the corner. Button tried to do something dramatic with his, before realising he has already passed him. I don't think it should be more than 600m, they just have to find a better place for it.

Also, one of the things i thought DRS was good for was Quali. It seemed to put more emphasis on the driver.

Also I've noticed that the DRS is almost like a brake light system for the car following. Wonder if this new info can be used by the driver behind to judge when is best to try and out brake the car in front........

This should not be much of an issue during the race, as the leading car cannot activate the DRS. I guess the only scenario this might help would be in a 3+ car train.

Brogan, aren't you glad that the DRS disn't have an enormous impact because I believe you were originally against it on the grounds that it would make for artificial racing. After round 1 it does not appear this will be a massive problem.

But I wouldn't completely write off the impact this system will have at certain circuits, especially Malaysia coming up next. Also, if McLaren can find some more pace, they would have a decided advantage over a Red Bull without KERS in an overtaking scenario.

I'm n
Brogan, aren't you glad that the DRS disn't have an enormous impact because I believe you were originally against it on the grounds that it would make for artificial racing. After round 1 it does not appear this will be a massive problem.
I just find the whole thing ridiculously artificial.

If you're going to have systems such as KERS and DRS then let the drivers use it as and when they want.
Not just on the 3rd Tuesday of every other month, with a full moon, only on days with a 't' in them, whilst following a green car being driven by someone wearing an orange helmet, in the 2nd sector of every other lap, but only if the car behind has prime tyres...

Not just on the 3rd Tuesday of every other month, with a full moon, only on days with a 't' in them, whilst following a green car being driven by someone wearing an orange helmet, in the 2nd sector of every other lap, but only if the car behind has prime tyres...

Now you're being ridiculous. You know the system can only be activated during the Crescent Moon phase!

Now you're being ridiculous. You know the system can only be activated during the Crescent Moon phase!
moon-phases.jpg

I would have gone for the Waxing Crescent.......

Overall the concept is good would have liked the 'DRS Overtaking zone sponsored by xxxxxxx'*, in Aussie to be the stretch before turn 3.

But a conspiracy theory for you:

I reckon FIA or who ever make the choice for the 1st 'DRS Overtaking zone brought to you by xxxxxxx'* went safe just in case it caused a dangerous accident that could be then blamed on the 'DRS Overtaking zone in association with BUPA'**.

Think for the next GP in Malaysia I'm hoping they will go for the stretch of track before the final corner between turns 14 to 15.

With the 'DRS official engagement line sponsored by xxxxxxx'* on turn 13 so there is a smaller gap between the activation zone and the start of the....you know what's coming...'Todays DRS is brought to you by xxxxxxxx'*.

* Add your own global company in there as you know it's coming.
** An obvious choice.

What do you think? So where could the DRS zone be in Malaysia?

If you're going to have systems such as KERS and DRS then let the drivers use it as and when they want.

I think the biggest revelation of DRS over the weekend is the possibility it might be putting more emphasis on the driver during Quali. Drivers who can push it to the edge without going over can get the edge over their team mate and others. There was some very large gaps between team mates in Quali. I'm all for dropping this initial DRS idea and just allowing everyone to use it when they want. More mistakes will make it more exciting.

Back
Top Bottom