Technical Moveable rear wings (DRS)

If you guys think that's artificial, just wait for these bad boys to hit the track!

Those Nascar's look like something from a cross between Transformers, Back to the Future and Mad Max. I bet the races are still as dull as ever though.

EDIT
I've just noticed the TF3 logo's on the side of the cars! Can't wait for the new film.

Thanks sportsman, good report. Obviously it's an extremely difficult thing to model from the outside; one can only hope that those who have the data, FOTA, have worked it out correctly - even if we can't necessarily trust or agree with their intentions.

Personally I think the psychological effect will be at least as important as the aerodynamic one; the driver ahead will know where and when to expect an attack and will be driving that section of track 'in his mirrors'. This may lead to more driving mistakes; it seems certain to lead to even more aggressive defensive tactics.

You could well be right.But the most important element to remember is that the chasing car cannot use his wing until he crosses the 600 metre activation line.If he is still one second behind at that point then he has even less distance to gain any advantage.
His acceleration speed until he reaches the line will be unchanged as he cannot activate his wing to gain any advantage.

On another note this regulation would seem to benefit the high downforce cars as they have a higher cornering speed.
If Mr Newey produces his usual high downforce and very fast corner speed design at the expense of outright top speed, it may be possible to get within one second in the braking zone.But it would be difficult to maintain that gap at the corner exit.

The whole collapsable wing thing does have the air of "Death Race" about it; you pick up point to make your shield or machine guns work, you can only deploy the wing in the last 600 metres of a fixed overtaking zone when 1 second behind the car in front, yada, yada, yada.

One of the interesting thngs about overtaking is the guys who find places where their "prey" is not expecting it, such as Lewis Hamilton. "Wow, how did he get past there?" exude the commentators "Because the other bloke wasn't expecting it" scream the fans.

Where does this leave us with the blocking moves as well?

People say the system gives an unfair advantage to driver following, but is he not already at an unfair disadvantage because of the dirty air and this system makes the two drivers at an equal?

People say the system gives an unfair advantage to driver following, but is he not already at an unfair disadvantage because of the dirty air and this system makes the two drivers at an equal?

Not according to this.In Malaysia in 2010 Hamilton was given a warning for weaving on the straight trying to break the tow he was giving Vitaly Petrov.
He was given a warning during the race, after he weaved four times over a straight trying to break the tow that Vitaly Petrov was receiving and was not intending to block him.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Hamilton#cite_note-driving_tactics-131After the race the rules were clarified by stewards to only allow a driver to weave once even if they are only trying to break a tow.

Does anyone (stewarts) check the gap? Could they award penalties if the distance is less than it should be?

Does anyone (stewarts) check the gap? Could they award penalties if the distance is less than it should be?

That is a concern of mine, if one persons DRS malfunctions, and they get to use it when in front, what happens then? Can the stewards control it remotly?

A single line on the straight will show where the overtaking zone starts, while two lines will be painted at the preceding corner to indicate the one-second time difference distance. This latter line will also serve as a visual back up for the FIA should the official timing transponders fail at any point.

How the hell stewards can monitor a one second gap visually beats me.

A single line on the straight will show where the overtaking zone starts, while two lines will be painted at the preceding corner to indicate the one-second time difference distance. This latter line will also serve as a visual back up for the FIA should the official timing transponders fail at any point.

A rule designed to create mayhem then - could be fun!

When Murray Walker would constantly give a gap of around a second, James would tell him that it's visual and a specific time was not necessary. If Hunt could do it after all the beverages he had consumed throughout the Grand Prix weekend, I see no reason why today's "professional" stewards couldn't accomplish the task.
snigger.gif

But in all seriousness, I think they would ultimately disable the system completely if the timing transponders went on the fritz.

Off topic - this reminds me of the chevrons on motorways reminding you to keep your distance.

I was beginning to warm to the moveable, drag redcuing, warp speed inducing, mechincal thingymbob rear wing, or whatever its called. Don't like it but more accepting it

But with all this, you can only use it from X line to Y line if so n so is X-second in front and and other so n so is X sec behind and also if the the sun is facing north and the 2nd wednesday of the month. has really nerked me off. I have noi dea what the rules are now, do-not understand them and do not want to understand them. Its beginning to sound more and more like Crash Bandicoot for goodness sake!

Back
Top Bottom