Technical Moveable rear wings (DRS)

Im on the same wavelength Enja, one or two others are but not many. Many in my opinion foolishly dismiss the idea. Couch racers that seem to know more about aerodynamics and overtaking than those building and racing the cars, in one breath will say it'll make it a NASCAR overtake frenzy and in the next saying it will make no difference! Truth is, you, me, them, have no idea! And calling it fake etc!? Well bend me backwards and give me a banana, fakery in F1? Never! It seems whatever is suggested or put forward, by demand of the fans no less, is then condemned by the very same fans!

I've not read anyone actually putting forward a better idea of how to get into the tow except the hair brain 'get rid of wings and downforce' tripe which could obviously be done overnight......

I am sorry for my angry and sarcastic approach, but lets just stop thinking about it and forget it until the start of the season. Then we can jump up and down saying what a crap idea it was. Trouble is, F1 knows it is a crap, intermediary idea, but we've asked for more track action and without impossibly expensive and immediate rule changes, there is no sensible alternative.

The flappy wing will have about the same effect as the F-duct last year, we all liked the F-duct, but by the time everyone else had it it wasn't an advantage.

So to make it any advantage it must be managed.

To manage it you need some rules.

The rules put forward on the overtaking zone and time gap are about the most simple possible way of doing so (though this still causes huge confusion and nonsense rambling), so basically, all this will do, as Pyrope correctly points out, is aid a trailing car in getting close(r) that's it. Its just a tiny tiny aid.

Grizzly out/

Well i gotta' live up to my name sometimes...
smile.gif

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90128
The FIA has extended the moveable rear wing overtaking zone to before the final corner of the Albert Park circuit for this weekend's Australian Grand Prix.
The zone, which is the only place on the track where drivers will be able to use their moveable wing in the race, will now start from just before the final turn onto the start-finish straight

Appears that the FIA recalculated their figures and came to the same answer as I did.

Be interesting if the teams do decide to competitively test tomorrow.... see if the FIA can gather some decent info on its actual effect before Sunday.

Sorry. I have no idea what your comment means.Is it humerous.Is it an insult.
I would appreciate some enlightenment.

Sorry Sportsman, it was an entirely sarcastic comment, borne of my currently slightly over excited self as we close in on the new season. "how does this man know such things? Maths? common sense? no, must be witchcraft"

So yeah, as ever, it was a feeble attempt at being humorous.:disappointed:

No problem Grizzly.Rather like it the way you mean't it.LOL

Incidently you do a bit of drag racing I believe.Does the guy with the highest terminal speed always set the fastest time.?

Christian Horner said:
"I only found out today. It's a pain because it screws up our simulations and affects gear ratios."

A telling remark in light of some of the remarks from Jenson Button. He said he had no idea what to expect from this weekend apart from the possibility of a lot of overtaking at the end of the race. Not a particularly good advertisement for McLaren's computer simulations and race preperations.

A telling remark in light of some of the remarks from Jenson Button. He said he had no idea what to expect from this weekend apart from the possibility of a lot of overtaking at the end of the race. Not a particularly good advertisement for McLaren's computer simulations and race preperations.

On the flip side, for a Jenson fan the rule change could be a good thing. Jenson didn't know what to expect from this weekend, so the change can't "screw" up what he didn't understand in the first place. Can it..? :unsure::dunno:

Jenson to win in Melbourne! :cheer: You heard it here first. :)

Here's a question.

If the teams set up the car to have the rear wing used a lot in qualifying, at circuits with longer straights, will that mean they gear the 7th gear a bit taller to compensate for the boost of the ARW and KERS? And by having a taller 7th gear won't that allow for better slipstreaming?

Here's a question.

If the teams set up the car to have the rear wing used a lot in qualifying, at circuits with longer straights, will that mean they gear the 7th gear a bit taller to compensate for the boost of the ARW and KERS? And by having a taller 7th gear won't that allow for better slipstreaming?

Maybe :)

If you set the car up with 7th gear too short to slipstream, you have made a fundamental cock up. With the FIA contunually moving the goal posts we're going to see a lot of these cock ups.:twisted:

What are the chances Webber takes flight this year? Maybe this race even?

Seriously though, if a Red Bull retires at any point this year due to a DRS related issue, then this whole endeavor will have been entirely worthwhile.

I just hope that they have to use it once in a while, as that means they would not be running away with the Grand Prix.

Back
Top Bottom