Technical Moveable rear wings (DRS)

Yup was warming to the DRS then getting cold by it, then warming too it again, but nope i do not like it. And for anynoe who watched the BBC forum Niki Lauda eplained it way much better then i ever could.

When the Car behind got a good exit out the corner (which i personally think might of been the issue as to how moves were made) it looked way too easy. The Car infront looked like a sitting duck and had no chance of defending.

Perhaps the FIA should look into using it without re-strictions.

When the Car behind got a good exit out the corner (which i personally think might of been the issue as to how moves were made) it looked way too easy. The Car infront looked like a sitting duck and had no chance of defending.

It made overtaking so easy that Button couldn't pass Massa any other way then shortcutting? And Alonso was stuck behind Webber until their final pitstops? When Button made that 'easy' looking pass on Massa later in the race, Massa's tires were gone. He pitted the same lap.

I was sceptical on the system, but now seeing the first race I think it's a nice and innovative thing to have. It didn't make overtaking too easy, it made it possible.

One thing that struck me is how asleep both Kobayashi and Buemi seemed to be. They didn't even make a move to cover the inside line, it was like they looked in the mirrors half way down the straight, thought "he's too far back" and then took another look just before braking and realised, "ah.".

I've got to say I'm less convinced than I was before the race. I will still wait a few races.

I would like to officialy re-name the DRS as the "BS Overtaking Gimmick" or B.O.G. for short. After seeing it's use this weekend I would be very much in favour of it to B.O.G. off for the rest of the season.

Yes, maybe the part of the track where it was allowed wasn't the best point to allow for it to come into it's own but surely we saw how ineffective it was when Button lined up at least two passing attempts on Massa along the straight with his B.O.G. flap open (sorry couldn't resist) and it didn't seem to make one ounce of difference.

As has been posted, I guess we may get a better idea about the B.O.G when we get to Malaysia, since there is a far longer main straight which should enable drivers to spend more time on the B.O.G. and perhaps allow for more passing.

Ok, I'll get my coat. :D

I'm saying nothing.

I recall being criticised for suggesting before the season started that it was a load of artificial nonsense.

I'm saying nothing.

I recall being criticised for suggesting before the season started that it was a load of artificial nonsense.

Without a doubt it is artificial. If it makes the racing more exciting though we probably won't complain. So far it has failed in doing this. It's biggest problem is it seems once a driver gets a good run on someone it is possible to defend and looks more like a choreographed Alonso-Massa overtake than two cars racing.

If it makes the racing more exciting though we probably won't complain.
I would.

It's no different in principle to Bernie's sprinkler system and that has been roundly slated by all.
If anything people should be clamouring for that as nothing makes a race more exciting than intermittent, unpredictable rain.

Quite a lot of double standards surrounding these artificial attempts to "improve" the racing as far as I'm concerned.

This is what i would like to see. I think it puts greater emphasis on the driver. Hamilton seemed especially good at using it early in Quali, while Sutil went too far. It makes the cars faster, so there is no reason to get rid of it totally, but i think they should have no restrictions. This whole 600m zone idea is silly. It would also lead to greater diversification of cars. At the moment downforce is king, but if cars were able to be designed to be much quicker on a straight then we would see a big difference between cars that are better at racing - such as the Mclaren and Mercedes - and the Red Bulls high downforce concept that are better at Quali.

I would.

It's no different in principle to Bernie's sprinkler system and that has been roundly slated by all.
If anything people should be clamouring for that as nothing makes a race more exciting than intermittent, unpredictable rain.

Quite a lot of double standards surrounding these artificial attempts to "improve" the racing as far as I'm concerned.

Hmm...i'm very much against the artificial rain. It is a ludicrous idea and i much prefer the "will it, won't it" of rainy weekends. The main reason i don't think DRS is as artificial is because faster cars are struggling to overtake slower cars because of disturbed air. So DRS is trying to balance the disadvantage a following car already has.

My feelings on it are very well known. >:(

Do you guys have alternative ideas, such as limiting the cars downforce, or do you think things should stay the same? Personally, as a fan of Lewis Hamilton i have seen enough class overtaking moves to keep me happy. Maybe it is the drivers that need improving. It was lots of fun watching Vettel's how not to overtake class last year. LOL

Reduce aero downforce, increase mechanical grip.

Job done.

Get rid of all the ridiculous little vanes, tabs and other nonsense from the front wings and make it so that cars can be designed to work well when following another car, not just in clear air.

Reduce aero downforce, increase mechanical grip.

Job done.

Get rid of all the ridiculous little vanes, tabs and other nonsense from the front wings and make it so that cars can be designed to work well when following another car, not just in clear air.

In one.
Get rid of wings.

What i don't get is why they don't do this. Would it significantly slow the cars? I don't know enough to comment on aero downforce and mechanical grip, but everyone who does seems to think it would increase overtaking instantly and, looking at the era's where these things weren't at the levels off today, the overtaking was a lot higher, and done through driver skill. Surely all the brains in formula 1 could come together and workout a way to stop leading cars impeding following cars.

Yes the corner speeds would be lower, resulting in slower lap times.But that in itself is not so important.
Even if lap times are slower cars that can follow each other closely and ovetake would more than compensate for lower speeds.
Problem is that far to many F1 fans are Brmm Brmm minded kids and are only intersted in top speeds.
Driver skills are lost on them.

What i don't get is why they don't do this. Would it significantly slow the cars? I don't know enough to comment on aero downforce and mechanical grip, but everyone who does seems to think it would increase overtaking instantly and, looking at the era's where these things weren't at the levels off today, the overtaking was a lot higher, and done through driver skill. Surely all the brains in formula 1 could come together and workout a way to stop leading cars impeding following cars.

The basic problem is that driver skill has been overtaken by technical know-how - there was a time when drivers mattered more than the car - it has gone the other way now. There has to be a balance somewhere between the two opposing forces - so that the fan/viewer has a "good" spectacle and the teams feel that they have actually done their best, given the constraints of the time and without invoking too much of the current technology.

Well as far as "the show" is concerned, the DRS ticks all the boxes because the casual armchair viewer can watch it flipping up and down, accompanied by the flashy red and green on-screen graphics.

Oooh, shiny, shiny.

Lowering corner speeds would have the added bonus that run-off areas wouldn't need to be quite so vast and could possibly even revert to gravel, so there would be fewer opportunities for the drivers to use them to gain unfair advantage, and spectators could get a bit closer to the action again.

Back
Top Bottom