More Ferrari promo filming

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
http://www.ferrari.com/English/Form...1_Felipe_and_Fernando_actors_for_the_day.aspx

Ferrari spent an extra day in Jerez carrying out more "promotional" filming before clearing off to Cataluyna. Although the team only did 50km one would presume the car was loaded up with all the telemetry it carries during a normal test session. So following on from their tests promotional filming at Fiorano the Scuderia have snuck in another few laps to find out a bit more about their car and the new Pirelli tyres.

Hmmm...

Why don't all the other teams engage in "promo filming" as well? I would love to see how the FIA would respond to that!

Most of the other teams do engage in promo filming! HRT were in Italy instead of Jerez doing precisely that. And I'm sure the rules say they have to run on special promo tyres that are very different to the race rubber.

Yeah, 1Malaysia Lotus did an extra day after the first test where they managed to complete over 90 laps of testing promotional filming which must have proved very useful given that they missed an entire day of testing due to power steering issues.

I think G is correct that they do have to use a special compound tyre (based on a GP2 tyre if I'm not mistaken) to reduce the ammount of data that they get from it however, especially at this early stage of the season, any knowledge is better than no knowledge at all.

I don't see why they just don't restrict testing to a number of running hours and let teams test where and when they like providing they don't exceed the limit. To log a cars running hours would be an extremely simple thing to do and in this way the use of testing hours would become an interesting art in itself. Let's say we take (sorry I know this is O/T by the way) the current number of testing days and convert that in to blocks of 3 hours of actual car running per day. That would give us something in the order of 15 hours of testing. Does a team use the bulk of that at the start of the season or does it wait a bit and hold some back? If you have to have a sudden driver change due to an injury or a ban, does a team give the new driver a couple of hours in the car. Finally, teams could do all the promotional filming they like providing it does not exceed the total testing hours they have available or do not use a car containing any parts used in the current season.

Most of the other teams do engage in promo filming! HRT were in Italy instead of Jerez doing precisely that. And I'm sure the rules say they have to run on special promo tyres that are very different to the race rubber.

Has anything come out about that? I haven't read anything about it anywhere other than HRT saying they were doing it. Would be interesting to know if the real version of their new car is up and running yet.

The test for me would be: are the other teams moaning about it? And so far as I know, they aren't. For some reason, Shell, Santander and the other sponsors like to shoot footage of the Ferraris for their TV adverts, and this is a good time of year to do it.

As far as HRT is concerned I assume they used the 2010 car (O/T: which is also, probably, the 2011 car) painted yellow and red and plastered with Pirelli logos for the Italian company to use in their promotional activities. We haven't heard anything about it but there's probably nothing to hear. They certainly did it because Pirelli paid them for it.

I don't see why they just don't restrict testing to a number of running hours and let teams test where and when they like providing they don't exceed the limit.
Seriously c_a_t, why do you insist on making these absolutely sensible suggestions.

I really hope the FIA don't start getting ideas :rolleyes:

According to a post on the RBR website every team is allowed 100km of promotional filming per year so I would think Ferrari have used up their allowance now? Isn't the testing restricted to a max of 15,000km?

According to a post on the RBR website every team is allowed 100km of promotional filming per year so I would think Ferrari have used up their allowance now? Isn't the testing restricted to a max of 15,000km?

Yeah, I thought that it was originally restricted in mileage (or kilometerage) but isn't it now strictly limited to official FIA test days. Hence why you don't see teams doing mid season tests which I'm sure they would do if they were only restricted on mileage. If you take Mclaren from last season for example, they were sorely in need of a mid season test to sort out their aero problems post British GP.

And also,

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89304

The duo set times that were good enough to place the pair 19th and 20th in the overall times for the opening pre-season test (Trulli: 1m15.679 and Kovalainen: 1m15.910s), and along with Ricardo Teixeira - there on filming duties - put another 91 laps on the chassis.

Circuit Ricardo Tormo in Valencia = 4.005 Km long, 91 laps by 4.005 Km is way way more than 100km. They should have completed just under 25 laps. Even if it's 100 Km per car it should have been less than 50 laps?

The regulations regarding promotional filming are listed above.These are the FIA regulations.
I cannot find any reference to any specific mileage
I would appreciate a link to the FIA regulation that states 100km.

The 15,000km limit remains in force, but there is also a restriction (item c) preventing in-season testing unless you bring in a substitute driver:

22) TRACK AND WIND TUNNEL TESTING

a) Track testing shall be considered any track running time undertaken by a competitor entered in the
Championship with the exception of :

i) promotional events carried out using tyres provided specifically for this purpose by the
appointed supplier ;

ii) one three day young driver training test, carried out on a site approved by the FIA for Formula
1 cars and between the end of the last Event of the Championship and 31 December of the
same year, any such driver having not competed in more than two F1 World Championship
Events ;

iii) four one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straight line or constant radius
sites between 1 January 2010 and the end of the last Event of the Championship. Any of
these days may be substituted for four hours of wind-on full scale wind tunnel testing to be
carried out in a single twenty four hour period.

b) No competitor may carry out more than 15,000km of track testing during a calendar year.

c) No track testing may take place between the start of the week preceding the first Event of the
Championship and 31 December of the same year with the following exception.
If a team declares that one of its current race drivers is to be substituted by a driver who has not
participated in an F1 race in the two previous calendar years, one day of track testing will be
permitted between the start of the week preceding second Event and the last Event of the
Championship. The following must be observed :

- Any such day may only be carried out by the new driver and may not take place on a circuit
hosting a race in the current Championship year.

- Any such day may only take place within a period 14 days prior to the substitution and 14 days
after the substitution has taken place.

- If a team, having declared the driver’s substitution and performed the test, does not then enter
an Event with the new driver, the team will be penalised by a reduction of one day from the
pre-season track testing days available in the following year.

Looks like the bloke on the Red Bull site was wrong then. So if you use a set of "promotional" Pirelli's you can thunder round as many laps as you like as long as some bloke with a box brownie and a press pass is standing at turn 3?

Completely off topic Rule 23.1 C states "Powered devices which assist in lifting any part of a car are forbidden in the pit lane during a race."

Anyone know why F1 can use the same sort of tech used in American racing to lift the cars up during pit stops? I think the Brabham BT50 lifted itself. Surely it would be safer not to have a jack man front and rear with the risk of the bloke being run over or the car nipping off down the pit lane with the rear jack still attached?

Completely off topic Rule 23.1 C states "Powered devices which assist in lifting any part of a car are forbidden in the pit lane during a race."

Anyone know why F1 can use the same sort of tech used in American racing to lift the cars up during pit stops? I think the Brabham BT50 lifted itself. Surely it would be safer not to have a jack man front and rear with the risk of the bloke being run over or the car nipping off down the pit lane with the rear jack still attached?

I presume that started with the whole 6cm clearence rule and went from there. Brabham had a "flick of the switch" jacking system to get around the ground clearence rule when the car was in the pits didn't they? Obviously a system to allow the car to lift and change tyres is completely different but maybe comes under the same rule Other than that, I don't see a reason why the car couldn't self jack when pitting. It would make tyre changes safer IMO.

I can never understand why there is a regulation now that the car cannot start itself? I.E. they aren't allowed to have a starter motor. That one always seemed a bit daft to me.

Feedback is minimal with different tyres, and could only be made sense of by doing 50km on normal slicks. By then they could just use the 50km of slick data. They will try to gain everything, but it is worthless compared to 12,000km at official test sessions.

I know this isn't quite the argument, but imagine if team earned testing hours depending on how well/badly they were performing - like negative points - finish lower get more hours. Could be a tad complicated, but would allow the newer teams the time to sort their cars and would work towards a more even field.

I know this isn't quite the argument, but imagine if team earned testing hours depending on how well/badly they were performing - like negative points - finish lower get more hours. Could be a tad complicated, but would allow the newer teams the time to sort their cars and would work towards a more even field.

Because that's a handicapping system in another guise. If the teams aren't able to be competitive they should do something else. The same rules for every team but implemented without bias.

Back
Top Bottom