More bad news for Donington ??

I think many of us on here are of the same opinion as regards Bernie and Donnington / Silverstone. This has all the same hall marks of the Brands Hatch and Octagon motorsport fiasco of about 10 years ago.

Bernie has had a long standing axe to grind with Silverstone which goes back a long time. It would seem that the facilities at Silverstone are just not posh enough for Bernies crowd to enjoy their prawn sarnies in peace and quiet without an inconveniant motor race getting in the way. Apparently last year one of Bernies guests spilt some Pimms on her best party frock and vowed never to return to Silverstone again.

It was a win/win situation for Bernie because (and I bet he knew this all along) it would put pressure on Silverstone to up their game whatever happenend because Silverstone would need to attract fresh investment to make up for the lack of Formula one. Of course I don't think Bernie gambled on the BRDC being quite so un-willing to do a short term deal.

As Brands Hatch went bankrupt after the collapse of the Octagon deal it must put a huge amount of doubt on the future of a once great circuit. Weather or not their has been too much damage to the circuit already or weather it will be a quick fix to repair any work that has already taken place remains to be seen? It must be worrying times for the circuit owners.

There are times when the cynical amonst us wonder whether not just that the contract was intended to fail, but that the Donnington owners were meant to commit to such an extent that CVC would end up with a circuit as settlement.

I guess I'll remain cynical until I hear what the British GP plans are for 2010 - If Silvestone gets the 17 year deal I'll know I'm simply trying to wind myself up.

Yeah, it's not like the very first Formula One World Championship Grand Prix was the British GP held at Silverstone.

Oh wait...

OK, lets do the Maths on traditional Grand Prix in the World Championship:

Italy 60
Britain 60
France 58
Monaco 56
Germany 56

So Britain and France need to have a bigger discount than Monaco.

OK, so can we have a French GP?

Back
Top Bottom