Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

OK then. Back on topic.
Shame though, for a second I thought I was in line for the:

nobel-peace-prize-medal.jpg

Okay so you agree with team orders as long as it's in Lewis' favour even though Lewis only wants to win on his own merit.

Just out of interest, did you watch the entire 2007 season?
I don't agree with team orders...
But if a team car is going to impede the other team car then the driver should not need team orders...........
I don't know if it was last year but LH was a long way in front of JB in a race..he lost a few gears(?)..& the team told him how far JB was behind him & when JB arrived LH let him thru...straight away..Martin Brundle said 'that was the sensible thing to do....It releases JB to go forward & challenge the leaders'.....Did he heck..he just pocketed the extra points & did nowt else.

Yes I did watch all the 2007 season & I know of the shenanigans that went on..
If you cannot go for the win...don't impede your team-mate.
If some are fed up, so am I........... I replied to the needling, that I have oft' resisted............
I had decided I wasn't mentioning it again.......................

A team member should not need team orders ...just an unselfish attitude.
I wa

So you're happy for others to help Lewis (despite it potentially negatively impacting their own career) even though he wants to win on his own merit.
Got it :thumbsup:

In other news, I wonder, with Mclaren having closed in on Ferrari and Red Bull in the last couple of races, will Ferrari open the gap again due to them being able to test new mods at the young driver test? I bet the race to keep the developments coming is going to be key as we reach the closing stages of the season. Also with Mclaren once again locked into a title fight, will this cause down stream problems getting next years car ready?

So you're happy for others to help Lewis (despite it potentially negatively impacting their own career) even though he wants to win on his own merit.
Got it :thumbsup:

Nah, already read it. Although I do hope Lewis wasn't responding to team orders :whistle:

Lewis won the race
HK was 5th.....
Are you saying that if HK had kept LH behind...that HK would have won?
Why wasn't it a McLaren 1/2 then?

I honestly don't care. But whatever argument you find for Hamilton being hard done by, there are examples where Hamilton has been the beneficiary. He's lied to gain positions, he's gone against team orders, he's allowed his team mate to let him through. He's one of the best and the best have a ruthless streak and he expects his team to work for him and communicate with him. Button has lost a wheel after a stop, has had things left in his radiator and if I'm not mistaken had a botched stop and mechanical failure last race, the race where it worked beautifully for Hamilton. He's also been the recipient of dodgy strategy and despite being on equal WDC and being the only teammate to beat Hamilton is reportedly getting paid significantly less.

I myself have questioned Whitmarsh's responses and think McLaren are diabolical when it comes to strategy. But when you become consumed like this you only hear and see what you want, which leads to bias speculation that is worthy of the daily mail.

A 27 year old intelligent, talented millionaire is a free thinking individual and is not that naive and as has been shown will tell his engineers to do one.

I'm a huge Hamilton fan as are many on here and it's frustrating to hear this as it only serves to fuel anti sentiment.

Back
Top Bottom