McLaren Duet 2015

Who will be to drive McLaren 2015? (choose the duet)

• Alonso

Votes: 32 94.1%
  • Button

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Magnussen

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Vandoorne

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • other

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
I might be wrong but I only read about a meeting being conveyed today.

Did they actually say they were going to announce anything in public at the end of it?

Indeed - I suspect not. There will have to be contract negotiations, one would have thought - and who's to say that JB might decline the offer even if he does get the nod? They might well offer him the same thing they offered Damon Hill (salary on points/wins only, IIRC), which a former WDC would probably find tantamount to an insult. I'm not expecting a resolution today, personally.

Pity. They seemed a perfect fit for Bernie's idea of a sponsor. As a kid some of those larger Lego projects are about as attainable as a Rolex. :D Which is to say they're outrageously priced!

I can just see a Lego Tilkedrome!

You could have 15 different sets, all of which look identical!

and goodness knows Maldonado could do with a lego car that his mechanics can just piece back together after his inevitable prang in practice. Maybe that is why they will not sponsor McLaren?

It doesn't make sense to why Lego won't sponsor them, they are releasing a Lego version of the McLaren anyway next year.

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/inside-the-mtc/mclaren-lego-set-to-arrive-spring-2015/

Lego-Press-Release_2_5.jpg

I think I know why they won't commit to a deal. Lego are also making Ferrari & other F1 makes as well as other motoring sets. I don't think McLaren would allow Lego to also promote other competing teams in their toy range. Lego will probably sell more Ferrari sets than McLaren anyway.

"allow them"?

When a company invests large sums into a team the team doesn't dictate them what to do with their own range of products do they?

McLaren will have given their image rights to Lego to allow them to be reproduced in plastic, if Lego became a major sponsor in the team, McLaren would be within their rights to stipulate what conditions their brand could be used.

I see Lego as more of a partner to F1 in general rather than a specific team.

I do know of cases where sponsors do invest in rival teams, I'm pretty sure Rangers & Celtic had the same shirt sponsor one year.

That still wouldn't give them the right to dictate what to do with the range of products not associated with them though.

What would have been more conceivable though would be to see the other teams denying them the license to produce items with their image but even then why would they do that as long as they get a cut?

Back in the 80's while Marboro was McLaren's title sponsor Marlboro were also sponsoring half the grid and drivers. Certainly never gave McLaren the right to demand they stop sponsoring its rivals.

Anyway, the Lego thing isn't happening now so it's all a bit academic.

Last edited:
Actually on seond thoughts maybe it's not so academic... was the timing of today's meeting pre-planned to coincide with Lego's decision?

Could this even have been the determining factor into the drivers' decision? All that stuf about Dennis flying to Denmark to attract investors into a "chance of investing into someone who long-term could become aa legend of the sport"?

Was the plan all along to put Magnussen as third driver for a year while paying for Button's salary with the danish money? Was this the actual reasonfor all those delays?

I'm getting a headache now....

Apparently the announcement will come tomorrow, it's not very fair on either driver leaving it so late in the season, if all other drives are taken then they have no choice but to either leave F1 completely or take a test driver role. At least McLaren found Perez a place after ditching him at the 11th hour, will they do the same for the unlucky driver in this decision.

Alonso 161 points
Raikonnen 55 points

That is value for money.

It is you are correct. My comment was not based around Alonso has the talent but it could be that some of the directors (not me) wonder if it is worth paying Alonso so much more wages wise than Button when both are world champions and both probably only have a couple more season in them.. Does that represent value for money - especially with the unknown quanitity of Alonso gelling with the team. Button has worked hand in hand with Mclaren and previously Honda so is less of an unknown quantity in that sense.

Plus some of the Mclaren board may remember how they got burned on a big deal for Alonso last time.

Back
Top Bottom