McLaren Development Program. Abandon 2011 ?

Should McLaren Abandon their 2011 car developement.

• Yes but not until after Korea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
On a slightly different subject.

The regs for next year ... I know about the exhaust exiting on top of the bodywork to stop the blown diffuser issue.
But thats it. Is there any other changes for 2012 because I can't find diddly squat on the interweb ?

Anyone ?

I think that remains the sole significant technical rule change (re-blown diffusers) and it’s still work in progress to ensure there are no loopholes. The rest are just minor alterations.

Pirelli want FIA to reduce the set of hard tyres they bring to races by 1.

Testing could return albeit in limited format.

Red Bull needn't turn up for the last 3-5 races and they'll still win both championships.

Whitmarsh is deluded and seems to be the only one claiming it's still possible to beat Vettel.

To me the only development McLaren need to do on the 2011 spec that doesn't directly compliment the 2012 spec is ensure that they beat Ferrari in the WCC. The rest I'm really not too bothered about. For Christmas all I'd like is for Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull to start the year on an even footing and then we could watch a very interesting season.

Dump the EBD for the rest of the season. It'll be good training for the drivers and 100s of laps of testing for next year's spec. Sod the race wins, sod the championship.

What about the constructors? That's where the money is.

I read somewhere that the money is based on points. So the full pot of €500m is split over the points available for the full season. So essentially your percentage of the pot is the same as your percentage of the allocated points.

Am I completely wrong on this? It's just something that I read a long time ago on another forum.

If this is the case, then I think they need to score as many points as they can.

However, if it is the case that the money is awarded on position in the final standings then I don't think they have a huge amount to worry about. They are quick enough to at least run Friday as a 2012 test day for the rest of the season and still retain their 2nd spot in the WCC.

Right, now we just need someone sure of the facts and in the know to tell us with confidence how this all works.

I always thought it was based on position in the table because I seem to remember that it was reported Brawn/Mercedes recieved around $50m for 2009, also that's why it was important for the new teams to beat each other last year because they got the money for 10th position otherwise Lotus would have got nothing just like Hispania and Virgin.

I always thought it was based on position in the table because I seem to remember that it was reported Brawn/Mercedes recieved around $50m for 2009, also that's why it was important for the new teams to beat each other last year because they got the money for 10th position otherwise Lotus would have got nothing just like Hispania and Virgin.

In addition to prize money, the teams get a cut of the revenue from commercial rights. It is well known that Ferrari get a disproportionate amount based on thier commercial draw to the sport.

There's no prize for finishing last, surely...

Ah, all my knowledge on this subject is out of date now...

In the olden days there was the "Television Payment" and the "Prize Fund".

The TV payment was split equally between the top ten teams in the constructors' championship. I think this remains the case (the so-called 'Column One') but may not be equally split any more.

The prize fund, almost certainly a much smaller amount, was split into four parts: 20% based on qualifying results, 45% based on race results, 17.5% based on the proportion of total constructors' championship points scored, and 17.5% paid in equal shares to the top ten teams only, in a similar manner to the TV money.

That was how the 1997-2007 agreement worked. Since 2008 a new arrangement has been in force, taking more account I believe of a team's longevity in the sport, as well as their championship position. Finishing in the top ten in constructors' remains the biggest cash 'step'.

With the fact that there aren't rafts of changes happening at the end of this year, wouldn't it be beneficial for teams to keep developing, as next year's cars are simply going to be an evolution of what we have already? I know the blown diffuser is banned, which will affect some teams worse than others, but surely leaving some emphasis on developing the current year's car may lay some good groundwork for developments on next years.' I may be wrong, please enlighten me if I am :)

Back
Top Bottom