Current Max Verstappen

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
A driver says another driver only won because of their car? *Falls down flabbergasted*

This has only happened in the close season every single season I have ever watched in F1. Seriously every year and every champion since 1990 has been accused of only winning because of the car. Not one exception.

Senna 90? Car
Senna 91? Car
Mansell 92? Car with bells on
Prost 93? Car car car
Schumacher 94? Car had active suspension
Schumacher 95? Car
Hill 96? Car
Vilenurve 97? Car
Hakeinen 98? Car
Hakeinen 99? Schumacher broke leg...(and car)
Schumacher 00 to 04? Car and cheating
Alonso 05 - 06? Best car
Kimi 07? Fix due to racism
Hamilton 08? Fix and car
Button 09? Car!
Vettel 10 - 14? So much car that grown men have hate campaign against him
Hamilton 15? Car
Rosberg 16? So much car Indy Car drivers mock it
Hamilton 17 - 18? Car car car car car.

My only conclusion is that all F1 drivers are in fact rubbish and without assistance couldn't even get it lined up straight in a family parking spot in Tesco.

What we need is Robots

siffert_fan

Too old to watch the Asian races live.
Contributor
There are two big differences between now and the previous eras:

1. The current rules have enshrined the Mercedes advantage by limiting development, primarily of the power unit, to a degree never seen before in the sport.

2. The budgets have ballooned to the point where only manufacturers have a prayer of being competitive. Compare the defense-program-sized budget of Mercedes to, say, the Williams of the late 90s, or even Ferrari in the Schumacher era. The Cosworth era budgets would be laughable today. Why do you think Williams and McLaren can't compete? Did they suddenly become totally inept?

RasputinLives

Not dead
Contributor
Whilst I'm not saying you're wrong the 'other eras were different from now' and 'its never been like this in the sport' arguments have also been around for as long as I've been watching. If it's not driver aids it's traction control, if it's not traction control it's the close relationship with the FIA, if it's not close relationship with FIA its blown diffuser.

It's the same song, with the same beat but just a slightly different instrumental.

FB

Not my cup of cake
Valued Member
The intro to Autocourse in 1980, the year Alan Jones won the title, has a wonderful article entitled "Does the driver matter anymore?". Plus ca change

Izumi

Points Scorer
The current rules have enshrined the Mercedes advantage by limiting development, primarily of the power unit, to a degree never seen before in the sport.
That's correct. Damage caused to the series is yet to be fully assessed and appreciated.

The budgets have ballooned to the point where only manufacturers have a prayer of being competitive. Compare the defense-program-sized budget of Mercedes to, say, the Williams of the late 90s, or even Ferrari in the Schumacher era. The Cosworth era budgets would be laughable today. Why do you think Williams and McLaren can't compete? Did they suddenly become totally inept?
Generalizing highly complex topics to provide an ecological/geographical determinist view of F1 checkered history perhaps should be avoided because it doesn't adequately explains all facts, and overly simplistic account ultimately results in false understanding of it.
are Williams and McLaren then suddenly inept? I will be beaten up for this, but no, its not suddenly, but most likely yes, they are inept. Williams had Mercedes, McLaren had Mercedes, and compare them to other teams. It's not just power unit which makes them what they became, and answer is complex beyond what I would be able to assess, yet it keeps me suspicious, that both teams lacking top shelve personnel. When Honda left, and McLaren become an emperor without cloths, suddenly we know that they have more problems on the table. Andreas Seidl is pretty smart guy, but I doubt that he will be able to change prevailing corporate culture, and I think he will be lucky if he can escape later with his good name intact.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Bear
Contributor
Maybe he learned from the best? No, sorry, that cant be right because they've never spoken to each other before and they confirmed this is a joint interview where they were talking together about their fond memories of not talking to each other before.:dizzy:

Ruslan

Points Scorer
Don't know if you guys have posted this video before from 2009, but he was much cuter back then:

Top Bottom