Mark Webber

I'm a little puzzled as to why Webber doesn't have a page in the teams and drivers section, as Webber is a pivotal figure in the story upfront. There are questions that need to be asked. Why can Vettel win, and Webber struggle to get on the podium fighting Ferraris and McLarens? Why is the man that was noted as a good qualifier unable to get near Vettel? Did the leg break in late 2008 do him serious performance damage? and What should Webber do in the near future?

Mark Webber. Over to you...

He was not a fan of Marko but he didn't seem to have issue with anyone else there. He tells a few bad stories about Vettel but talks about good times and how Vettel was a much better racing driver than him anyway. It's not the hatchet job people hoped for.

It's the Lance Armstrong thing that bothers me somewhat. He barely addresses the issue of what Armstrong was discovered to be.

Well Mark could have thrown the laundry out about his time at Red Bull. I am not surprised he did not have much nice things to say about Marko and I was going to wonder if he was also going to throw Christian Horner through mud considering he was on the wrong end of team calls

His friendship with Lance Armstrong is disturbing - a guy who lied and cheated his way to make millions... he makes Tiger Woods look angelic in contrast

It has to be said both Flavio and Bernie have cheated and lied their way to make millions..although no one has managed to prove that Bernie is a crook for all his tax dodging and bribery

Flávio, Bernie and I guess Lance Armstrong all succeeded in their twisted views of a normal world, ( what they do/did they consider normal, I'm sure ) so they are VERY strong personalities, probably charismatic in personal situations, how else would they succeed ?
So why should we be surprised that Mark Webber was taken in by them, he's not exactly sophisticated, nice maybe naive, he probably took their charm at face value.

Good point Titch It's also worth remembering that F1 drivers aren't normal people. To get into F1 you have to be a self obsessed, highly ambitious thrill seeker with psychotic tendencies. Sounds not to unlike Lance, Bernie and Flavio.

Webber prides himself on honesty and hardwork though. Always been a theme through his career and through the book. Which is why I thought he'd have a lot more to say on the Lance Armstrong issue.

Still a good book though and he comes across as a great family man.

Then it will be a good read no doubt. I would like to understand about his inner mindset about the Red Bull situation and how he had to deal with constant knife poked in his back about his career

Incubus Nope missing out on 2010 world championship .. he was leading with 3 rounds to go then crashed , followed by his favouritism comment towards Vettel at Red Bull and then fluffing up completely at the last round. He did not have believe he could still do it at the last round

It was his best chance to be world champion and his best season and would have been the perfect response to some of the management decisions and comments earlier that season

500px-Corporal_Punishment.png

Anyone been listening to the on the grid podcast series. Listened to the mark webber tonight. I thought it was fascinating so many stories.
  • Had an offer to drive the championship winning 2005 renault, but turned it down to drive for wiliams on a inferior contract. Because of heritage. Calls it 1 of his worse decisions of his career. Knew he cocked up straight away at 1st test in valencia. Rang his dad saying how he made a huge mistake
  • Came within inches of driving for ferrari in 2012. Had big discussions at Monaco 2011 with di montezemlo. Already ready to sign on a 2 yr deal with personal terms agreed. Until it changed to a 1+1 & by then few months down the line. Red bull had heard. He ended signing new 2 yr deal
  • After monaco 2006 & the Schumacher incident in qualifying. Webber at Silverstone went upto the wife, Sabina or sabrina. Said i need a chat with micheal. Where in a conversation where he talked about his concerns to his educated eye. Schumacher held his hands up & owned up to deliberately crashing, which makes you wonder what else was deliberate;)

To sum it up

- He made a mistake joining Williams - his career was rescued by Flav who used his connections to place Webber at Red Bull along with Renault engines. Whilst Williams were not immediately on the pace they were still able to battle for podiums. The season became a write off once WIlliams and BMW announced going separate ways and fell out big time blaming each other

- Nearly joining Ferrari in 2012 alongside Alonso would have been fascinating as they are good mates off track

Back
Top Bottom