Lotus Renault Driver Change

A black and gold Lotus Renault with Senna written on the roll hoop is a great image, but it is equally saddening to see the team struggling into this position. I've no doubt Boullier and the team would rather Heidfeld remain in the car if it were a possibility.

If only their sponsorship deals weren’t all ruined by the one who shall not be named...

A black and gold Lotus Renault with Senna written on the roll hoop is a great image, but it is equally saddening to see the team struggling into this position. I've no doubt Boullier and the team would rather Heidfeld remain in the car if it were a possibility.

If only their sponsorship deals weren’t all ruined by the one who shall not be named...

Heidfeld does remind of the black night in some ways. They keep cuttin him down and he comes roaring back!

Well can;t say this suprises me. Heidfeld hasn't brought them the results they wanted and they're so short of cash that it was the only decision they could make. As for not taking Grosjean on - Roman made the mistake of jumping in that car before the end of the GP2 championship before and it slapped his career back a couple of years. I think he'll concentrate on taking the GP2 title first and then jump in that Renault. I'm pretty certain if he is GP2 champion Eric Boullier will give him a drive. French team, French driver - makes sense.

As for next years line-up I think that depends on Kubica's recovery but I can see Petrov heading down the grid to russian owned Virgin and the line-up being Kubica and Grosjean. Of course if Kubica doesn't make a come back they have Mr Senna and probably D'ambrosio as back up.

As for Bruno himself. He has no excuses now and needs to take this chance. Whats interesting about that article though is that it only says he'll be in for the Belgium Grand Prix. Its open to interpretation whether its for the rest of the season or not. When they interviewed him earlier in the season and was asked if we'd see him in an F1 car soon he smirked and said 'we'll see' and Jake made the observation that he obviously knew something we didn't so maybe the deal with Renault is similar to the one Chandock had with Lotus, that they would give him a race to show what he can do - as he had a recent run out in Belgium maybe they decided that would be best for him.

Sucks for Heidfeld (and EW), but Renault might as well find out what they can get from Senna. He was in the car at Spa about a month ago for some sort of promotional thing, so he's got that going for him. :dunno:

If Bruno's dog slow, then at least they will know for sure. As many have already mentioned, I doubt this is the last driver change for the Lotus Renault crew this year.
Do you remember Bruno being 'dog slow' at Istanbul park in GP2?ROFL. Not really a laughing matter-he'd have won the championship without that....but I couldn't resist:D.

Just wondering what would have happened if they'd given Liuzzi the seat instead of Heidfeld at start of the season. Probably something pretty similar as the switch is all about the money - something that Petrov and B.Senna have and Heidfeld and Liuzzi don't.

Personally I'd have put money on Liuzzi being further infront of Petrov as he's a hungrier driver than Heidfeld. Then they'd have looked slightly daft.

All heresay though really.

If Nick had done worse than Webber at Williams in 2005, maybe BMW would have signed Mark up instead, and Heidfeld could have wound up with the Red Bull drive that at the time looked pretty scant consolation.

It's funny how things turn out.

Interesting points but Liuzzi is one of these guys who seems to have a favourable reputation based on nothing in particular. Heidfeld's gone head to head with some top drivers and come out on top. I still feel for him after Canada, he'd driven so good all race and his position was getting stronger as time went by then Kamui hit the Matrix style EMP button.

Oh well, I'm not usually an "ifs and buts" type and I shouldn't change that based on circumstance.

What will happen will happen, the reasons behind it are rather infuriating though.

Jos, thanks for the James Allen link. I must comment on this:

"Genii announced earlier this month an important strategic tie up with WWI Group, to create a $10 billion investment partnership. As the statement said, “The two companies will focus on private equity investments in Energy, Renewable Energy, Real Estate, Information Technology, Telecommunications, Oil, Gas and the Automotive sector. Their association gives birth to the 8th most powerful private equity investment company in South America.”

The idea is to get Brazilian investors to diversify their portfolios, so it’s very much Brazil focussed.
Clearly Bruno Senna being from such a significant Brazilian family, there must be some positive connections here...For a driver, Senna is a very good communicator and an effective operator in social and business situations."

Dear James,

You know a lot about F1 but have no clue whatsoever as to how the world of private equity works.

At that level, James, private equity bankers have enough connections. A Bruno Senna won't open any further doors.

In addition, private equity chases returns only. There's asoloutely no loyalty in the chasing of returns. There's an initial element of trust...of 'comfort' (while doing their due dilligence)...but zero loyalty thereafter.

Boullier's F1 team need to show a profit in their own right and hiring a (potentially) slow(er) driver - regardless of his family connections - won't help them win FOM prize money. If Genii are investing in Boullier's operation, they'll want it to generate profits. A reasonable profit.

Senna can bring some funding but he won't be able to bring endless funding ... and he'll need to be fast and produce.

---

And, to Bruno, good luck and best wishes, mate!

Bruno will do the two races because the GP2 season finishes after Monza so that's when Grosjean becomes available to Boullier.

Nick's lawyer(s) negotiated (or is/are in the process of fully negotiating) his severence...

...Bruno's guaranteed Spa and Monza...

...and Grosjean's GP2 season comes to an end after Italy putting him in line for the fly-aways.

The French haven't had a good Formula One driver since the early 90s (Prost, Alesi) so Grosjean has the world as his stage if he's any good.

Back
Top Bottom