Liberty Media buy F1

Well I've deduced Izumi from reading the article(it's a clever tactic i know) that Liberty Media wanted to do a ten part documentary series on Netflix to promote the sport but two of the teams (the formentioned enemies of humanity) refused to do it because they wanted more money than all of the other pleb teams. Due to this, and combined with the constant pledges in the press about it all being about the show and trying to bring the sport to 'new platforms', the documentary makers have come to the conclusion that they are letting down the sport.

It's all there in black and white in the article.

Well I've deduced Izumi from reading the article(it's a clever tactic i know) that Liberty Media wanted to do a ten part documentary series on Netflix to promote the sport but two of the teams (the formentioned enemies of humanity) refused to do it because they wanted more money than all of the other pleb teams. Due to this, and combined with the constant pledges in the press about it all being about the show and trying to bring the sport to 'new platforms', the documentary makers have come to the conclusion that they are letting down the sport.

It's all there in black and white in the article.
"Mercedes and Ferrari wanted to operate under different terms to the rest of the teams, and us, as producers, and Netflix as the broadcasting platform, didn't feel comfortable with that," executive producer Paul Martin said.
Nothing about wanting more money in that explanation. Moreover, narrative is rather ambiguous whether terms suggested by Ferrari and MB were supposed to be exclusive to two teams, or change was for all of them. Executive producer perhaps prefers all sounding worse that actually it was.

Last edited:
Perhaps. But as you said we need to take the guy who owns Alfa Romeo on his word that they are not a Ferrari B-team and are and Alfa A-team as he has not reason to lie why would you not take the producer of the Netflix series on his word and opinion? What reason would they have to lie about it?

Also if you did read it to correct me on the more money thing how did you not understand the headline?

You're very grumpy today Izumi

Perhaps. But as you said we need to take the guy who owns Alfa Romeo on his word that they are not a Ferrari B-team and are and Alfa A-team as he has not reason to lie why would you not take the producer of the Netflix series on his word and opinion? What reason would they have to lie about it?

Also if you did read it to correct me on the more money thing how did you not understand the headline?

You're very grumpy today Izumi
If I may correct you (again), grumpy I am ever since realization in what kind of trouble F1 is, that was about 3 months into a season 2014, and it all got magnified when we learned Liberty bought into it. I think Netfix is running agenda. Ferrari and MB aren't exactly idiots, and they simply did not swalow hook as offered.
Had Netfix run something like that about baseball or that rugby-football they play, they would not dare to make angry any team. I would bet on that, because fans would probably burned his house down. Here he wants us to belive that he plays editorial freedom only? Give me a break, will you.

Last edited:
Ermmm....Amazon and Netflix run reg series on all of the sports you are talking about. In fact the director in question has made many of them. As for your assertion of an agenda and a conspiracy against your below Merc and Ferrari - I imagine the whole topic came up when someone watched the series and went "hey where are Merc and Ferrari?". Now the director could have stayed deadly silent and held up a sign saying "I don't want to anger Izumi" or he could have given his opinon on the subject.

Purely and simply though if Merc and Ferrari don't want any blow back then don't refuse to be in a documentary which features every other team. It's like when Lewis Hamilton didn't turn up at the London F1 event. It something for the fans and if you bang on about doing it for the fans then you need to be involved.

I'm afraid as angry (and grumpy) as you get about it the majority of people (most of whom aren't die hard Ferrari fans) are going to view them in a bad light for this.

I am interested to see what both teams have said about their lack of involvement.

Certain F1 teams trying to ruin a potentially good thing for their own self interests. I wont have that said, because when have they ever done that, apart from every week :whistle:

but its obvious where the problem is because as is mentioned all 10 teams got given the same contract & everyone like the big teans Red bull, Williams, Renault, McLaren (although their used to it) were more than happy. but Mercedes which really does surprise me but I always had a inkling they are 2 faced, with the public face of the team very different to the private face. & Ferrari which is no surprise considering under arrivabene, he could barely stand being interviewed & only does it because he obligated. never mind have camera crew following him. but this isnt unusual because in the man city documentry that I watched but on amazon man utd or jose Mourinho did get the huff & refused to let them in. despite every other team in all cups allowing access

but its just another notch on my ever growing itteration that the teams thing they are bigger than the sport & need bringing down a peg

Last edited:
Had Netfix run something like that about baseball or that rugby-football they play, they would not dare to make angry any team. I would bet on that, because fans would probably burned his house down. Here he wants us to belive that he plays editorial freedom only? Give me a break, will you

its amazon prime not netflix but it streaming & its documentaries. but do you mean like these 3 at 2 NFL teams who both in to their 3rd series & the biggest most well known rugby union team in world

all or nothing 1.png

all or nothing 2.png

all or nothing 3.png

Last edited:
...but its just another notch on my ever growing itteration that the teams thing they are bigger than the sport & need bringing down a peg
Err, maybe they do think as you say, I am not sure of it at all, but then, maybe they are actually The Sport. Fans I know occasionally watch the race to see them. Not everyone is 80 years old (yet), who has his own ideas what the sport should be to his personal liking.

Last edited:
Ermmm....Amazon and Netflix run reg series on all of the sports you are talking about. In fact the director in question has made many of them. As for your assertion of an agenda and a conspiracy against your below Merc and Ferrari - I imagine the whole topic came up when someone watched the series and went "hey where are Merc and Ferrari?". Now the director could have stayed deadly silent and held up a sign saying "I don't want to anger Izumi" or he could have given his opinon on the subject.

Purely and simply though if Merc and Ferrari don't want any blow back then don't refuse to be in a documentary which features every other team. It's like when Lewis Hamilton didn't turn up at the London F1 event. It something for the fans and if you bang on about doing it for the fans then you need to be involved.

I'm afraid as angry (and grumpy) as you get about it the majority of people (most of whom aren't die hard Ferrari fans) are going to view them in a bad light for this.

I am interested to see what both teams have said about their lack of involvement.

At the end just really consider what actually happened. Two teams refused to engage in an unplanned off track activity, regardless what Netfix thinks of it. Now you read the article headline, and tell me how did they let sport down? Its all overblown out of proportions.

Last edited:
Izumi I personally don't think it is. The way I look at it is the sport is at a crossroads and it needs to modernise or die. Merc especially are always talking about the good of the 'show'. So when they refuse to take part in something Liberty Media are actually doing then yeah, I'm sorry, in my view they are letting the sport down.

Izumi I personally don't think it is. The way I look at it is the sport is at a crossroads and it needs to modernise or die. Merc especially are always talking about the good of the 'show'. So when they refuse to take part in something Liberty Media are actually doing then yeah, I'm sorry, in my view they are letting the sport down.
Would be nice to know reasons behind their refusal. Rational people do not act impulsively when their name could be dragged through mud.

Yes it would. I said that earlier. To be honest I'm surprised you've jumped so passionately and aggressively to their defence without asking that question. Especially as from what I've read you are no Toto Wolff fan.

Yes it would. I said that earlier. To be honest I'm surprised you've jumped so passionately and aggressively to their defence without asking that question. Especially as from what I've read you are no Toto Wolff fan.
Let me correct this perception through assurances, that I do not like or dislike anyone from distance of the internet. I do respect or frown upon their work, but that's as much exciting as it gets from my side. I am not a fan of any team. Those are nameless entities with nationalistic slant. I am however a fan of a real person — a driver, who has his face, his ups and downs as he is going through his chosen profession. I also have reservations to some drivers, but that's about all. On business and regulatory side...don't let me started. In recent times teams like Ferrari and Mercedes AMG has taken a lot of brunt in F1 arena, and someone has to stand up to it, especially if as I feel, anger is misdirected, and crux of the problem is elsewhere. That's when forums like this one comes in, and discourse evolves.
:)

Ok. Well I nice to understand your view point but that withstanding even you have to admit that the two top teams not taking part in a series which has been commissioned by the series owners to try and get closer to the fan base is not doing then any favours. Surely you can understand why people have reacted the way they have too it? From a reasonable point of view.

By the way I think it's fine to dislike from the internet. I dislike someones media persona. Doesn't mean if I met them in person I wouldn't think they were alright. I dislike Toto Wolff because I think he outright lies and manipulates in the media. Doesn't mean if he turned up at my door starving I wouldn't serve him up a nice plate if apple strudel.

Ok. Well I nice to understand your view point but that withstanding even you have to admit that the two top teams not taking part in a series which has been commissioned by the series owners to try and get closer to the fan base is not doing then any favours. Surely you can understand why people have reacted the way they have too it? From a reasonable point of view.

By the way I think it's fine to dislike from the internet. I dislike someones media persona. Doesn't mean if I met them in person I wouldn't think they were alright. I dislike Toto Wolff because I think he outright lies and manipulates in the media. Doesn't mean if he turned up at my door starving I wouldn't serve him up a nice plate if apple strudel.
Would you know where we can find out why those two teams stand alone? Of course I am not interested in tabloid like opinions.
Thanks

RasputinLives thanks at that point where im very rarely youngest in anything, last time was when I was in Fleetwood market killing time before the football & everyone I past was about 40yrs younger than me LOL

Would you know where we can find out why those two teams stand alone? Of course I am not interested in tabloid like opinions.
Thanks

I dont think we will ever know why because it will have to come from the teams themselves & even that will be PR spun. so all we have all have rumours & opinions. Ferrari just like privacy & as un fan friendly as that is I understand that because Ferrari have always been like that. but Mercedes are the ones I think are dodgy because under toto are worried that they will lose their public image.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom