Lewis in private talks with Christian Horner

Who will Lewis be driving for in 2013

• Total voters
I'm not sure it would be equal footing exactly.
Vettel is the No.1 at Red Bull, just as much as Alonso is at Ferrari, and I can't see that changing, no matter who the other driver is.

And Hamilton wasn't the No.1 at McLaren when Button joined? If Red Bull are going to get Hamilton I am very much sure it wi;; be equal...yes Vettel may know the team more, but so did Hamilton when Button joined, and Button probably being the lesser driver out of the two seemed to settle in well.

I can't see RB talks as anything other than a negotiating tool and I'm sure Lewis knows he would never be on an equal footing while Vettel was about; same as Ferrari.
He'll see out 2012 at McLaren and if he's got any sense stay there in 2013 until the dust settles in the first half of the season. By then it should be clear who has a handle on the new regs but will be getting a feel for them in an environment he knows; a new team and new regs in the same year could be a disaster for him.

Turkey 2010, Silverstone 2010

Doesn't mean they have a number one, for one Mark Webber's engineer was told to pass on the message to give Vettel reasonable room if vettel was going o make an overtaking move not a just a car length that webber gave. But the message didn't get passed on hence why they were annoyed at webber. Here's an example 2008 hockenheim shall we say where Ron Dennis was in the radio to heikki to let hamilton through as Hamilton was faster but heikki didnt let him I assume mclaren and Ron Dennis would be siding with Hamilton if that happened.

Now silverstone 2010 I will never understand, Mark webber used the media trick which he tried to pull twice in 2010 no one sided with him when he came out in brazil saying what he did. He preferred the old wing in silverstone and was going to use he old one for the weekend that is why red bull gave the new one to Vettel. Ray has a few articles on this I am sure he can dig them out...

On number one drivers

The policy at both McLaren and Red Bull is to treat their drivers equally. But in moments of stress, the people in those teams will pick sides.

I think that's all that happened at Red Bull last year. There was tension on track, there were almost certainly rows behind closed doors, and people find that really hard to sort out. To an outsider (me), it looked like they favoured Vettel, but on the inside, they were probably just wishing it would all go away and saying what they thought would calm the drivers down.

On the best place for Hamilton

I believe that what Hamilton needs is to become a better, more aware person. If he does that, he can become a more effective driver - judging risks as well as taking them.

I think (hope?) he's started that transformation. Since the departure of Ron Dennis, the split from his dad and the arrival of Jenson, he's got a much better group of role models around him. So if I had his ear, I'd suggest he stay put. Still, Red Bull seems a happy place, and Christian Horner is a level-headed guy who has done well at nurturing Vettel. Perhaps that would work out too.

Having gone through this thread a few things come to mind.

How long is Adrian Newey going to keep going...and when he leaves, won't Red Bull be just "an energy drinks company"? Haven't all the top drivers talked to managers of other top teams once in a while throughout F1 history? If Ferrari are talking about Vettel long term, shouldn't Red Bull be feeling out their long term options too? Who is to say Hamilton's management haven't advised Lewis to do this for bargaining reasons? It's all a game and the players are playing it as they always have.

In terms of getting the best car I think that Hamilton should sign a 1 year extension to see where things settle after 2013 changes ... although these may be being delayed anyway! Which teams have generally reacted best after rule changes? Brawn and RB certainly didn't do badly in 2009. But going to the team with the best car will probably give a worse contract (given that he wants to join), I just hope his career is more important that money to him (and he can ignore his agent about this)

If Hamilton does leave Mclaren and thats a big IF. I'd personally like to see him going to Mercedes over the other teams, so he can build a team around himself and possibly Hulkenburg as his team-mate.

I can actually see Rosberg going to Red Bull more than Hamilton as i think he's fed-up of Mercedes promising a car that their can't proved.

If Mclaren are to replace Hamilton i'd very much like to see Di Resta replace him and be Button's team-mate as i've heard both have a brilliant relationship and Di Resta knows the Mclaren team after spending a few years as a tester for them.

Hamilton should be doing everything in his power to get his arse into a Red Bull ASAP.
There is no reason 2012 should be out of the question, contracts in F1 are'nt worth the paper they're written on.

Back
Top Bottom