Kevin Magnussen

The son of former McLaren Formula One driver Jan Magnussen makes his Formula One debut in the 2014 season. He started his racing career in karting and quickly moved onto more powerful single seaters.
After early success in Danish Formula Ford he was soon competing and winning in Formula Renault 2.0 and Formula 3 before competing in the Formula Renualt 3.5 series and winning the championship in his second year.

As a product of the same driver development program that brought us Lewis Hamilton as well as a strong racing pedigree, Magnussen has become accustomed to winning at all levels of the junior motorsport ranks and will want to continue his success when he makes his debut in March.

Not Klingon mate you just have a strange view point with the 'he did exactly what was expected of him' point of view. Like he was some sort of passenger in the car.

Do you know how many drivers we see race in race out qualify well and then go backwards week in week out? Or throw it off the road? and they are drivers who have countless experience.

I could argue that he also didn't just hold position because he was far closer to Ricciardo than he was in qualifying but meh.

Basically by your logic Rosberg only did what was expected of him too. Kyvat only did what was expected of him. Oh and Vettel's last 3 world championships were just him doing what was expected of him.

Are you really trying to argue that a rookie bringing a brand new car home without putting a foot wrong whilst beating his team mate and keeping on the race pace for the entire distance is just 'what is expected of him'?

Saying that Magnussen didn't deserve 2nd place because McLaren weren't 2nd best is like saying Barrichello was rubbish in 2007-08 because Honda were.

Just a tiny thing Mephistopheles but since you keep on saying it I must disagree. Alonso pitted a lap after Hulkenberg which was exactly right for him to get in front of the Hulkenburg train. Dropping him in behind Button was a price worth paying as he did at least get the chance to get some laps in where the time was down to him and the car, not to the Trulli replacement.

Plutus - As I recall, Lewis Hamilton finished 3rd behind his team-mate on debut in Australia.

I said, that these kind of results are expected of Kevin Magnussen if the car under the given circumstances is capable of achieving these positons. Similar to Hamilton he will have to perform on a high level constantly to deliver the expected results. I was not comparing the two results and I trying to convey what is expected from him.

If you would have bothered reading and understanding my post, you might have come to that conclusion.

Explain Plutus . Why is P2 not his true position? I am really interested in your justification of that statement.

Yes.
First of all this is a quote of my original post:

Kevin Magnussen certainly drove a good first race in Formula 1. I agree with Mephistopheles that P2 was not his true positioning but he utilised the cars potential to finish second unlike other drivers such as Bottas.

This is what most people seem to have read:

I agree with Mephistopheles that P2 was not his true positioning and he didn't deserve P2

Tell me in my original post, can you find the words did not deserve? Did I say he drove a good race? Did I say he made full use of the car to finish 2nd whilst others did not?

I was referring to the overall performance of the car during the race in Australia. I thought that would be clear after all I said he made use of the car (a reference to his good performance) unlike Bottas and other drivers who weren't capable because they made errors or their cars failed.
He did a good job because he finished in 2nd and on his way did not make a mistake whilst chasing Ricciardo and keeping the tires as well as the fuel level in check.

The problem is people the result is being hyped. McLaren do not have or at least in the race in Melbourne did not have the pace of Mercedes, Williams and Red Bull. I fear that with the hype around this result people will start criticising him if the McLaren performs like it did in Melbourne with others not making mistakes and he finishes 8th or lower in future races because they don't realise that the car is not good enough although he is performing well.
I am not taking anything away from his performance, when I say he is expected to deliver the results when other drivers fail, and it cannot be taken for granted that he finishes in a position in which the car should not be. It still takes a good driver and drive to complete the task. In Melbourne Magnussen performed like Alonso in 2012 when he took advantage of Vettels mechanical faults and the mistakes of other drivers, no one can say he did not deserve the position if anything it was fully deserved because he didn't make mistakes and concentrated on achieving the highest maximum position.

Anyway, take from it what you will. I said he drove a good race, and that this cannot be taken for granted but never did I say the result was not deserved and I believe that was never Mephistopheles intention either.

Yes I understand that Bill Boddy but for whatever reason it help Button on to the podium.

Anyway I've had guts full writing things down in plain English just so that other people can take my words and twist them to mean something else and so I'm just going to give up throw in the towel and simply go along with the rest of the bleating sheep who do not want to discuss a subject from a different perspective other than their simple minded narrow view of the matter..

So I agree with all of you no matter what your point of view you are all completely correct and I'm completely wrong and by the way don't call me mate because I'm not your mate and you certainly ain't my friend....

Maybe Vettel should prove his ability by winning his fifth title this year in the Caterham? I'm sure Kamui wouldn't mind a swap.

I fear that with the hype around this result people will start criticising him if the McLaren performs like it did in Melbourne with others not making mistakes and he finishes 8th or lower in future races because they don't realise that the car is not good enough although he is performing well

I am not taking anything away from his In Melbourne Magnussen performed like Alonso in 2012 when he took advantage of Vettels mechanical faults and the mistakes of other drivers

You are saying that he only achieved position because of others failings or problems and trying to appease with the odd 'he did well' comment.

- Every driver benefit from Hamilton's retirement
- We can assume Ricciardo's car had a little extra
- he qualified fourth, in the wet, only 3 other experienced drivers did better
- he didn't make any mistakes
- other drivers being mentioned had shit qualifying and average to poor races, he had the opposite
- So what if it goes tits up next race, this race he did better than most and he got a podium
- good car, bad car, others problems.., he got a podium.

Is it fair to say that one swallow doesn't make a summer? Great race for the lad but shouldn't we reserve judgment on just how good, or not, he is until we are a few more races into the season? Some may hail him as the next big thing, others may think he lucked into a 3rd place (he certainly lucked into 2nd) but I doubt point by point rebuttals will manage to change anyone's mind.

Hamberg.
You are saying that he only achieved position because of others failings or problems and trying to appease with the odd 'he did well' comment.
No. Because he took advantage of his skill, the car and that others failed, although the latter was not good enough to finish in that position.

- Every driver benefit from Hamilton's retirement
Yes but this is the Kevin Magnussen topic.

We can assume Ricciardo's car had a little extra
Yes as I said good job that he kept the car on the road and brought points home. Maldonado in a similar position crashed his car into the wall a couple of years back.

- he didn't make any mistakes
I said that, did I not?
Come on, read my post.

- other drivers being mentioned had shit qualifying and average to poor races, he had the opposite
I said that, did I not?
See the post you quoted and first paragraph of this post. Makes it a good race for him does it not?

- So what if it goes tits up next race, this race he did better than most and he got a podium
You didn't read my previous post, did you?
Here:
I fear that with the hype around this result people will start criticising him if the McLaren performs like it did in Melbourne with others not making mistakes and he finishes 8th or lower in future races because they don't realise that the car is not good enough although he is performing well.

good car, bad car, others problems.., he got a podium.
Yes. And he did well to achieve that.

I don't know where your problem lies. Do you just want to have an argument of some sort? In the end we have the same opinion that it is a good first result.

I tired of this, and I wasn't really up to writing the first post because I knew it wouldn't satisfy someone but you can't ignore the facts that to achieve this, in what seems to be a mediocre car - we will see if it is better in Malaysia - took failings of other drivers and cars but it was still down to his skill.

Do you understand the last part. His skill, he did it because he didn't fail like others.

By the way. I am not trying to appease if weren't the case I would say so, I also said it was a good race at the start of my posting yesterday which you just ignored.

Last edited:
FB Nobody is basing his future on this race but to ignore what he achieved on his debut would not be fair. I think it's reasonable to applaud it, but also reasonable to keep watching.

Plutus I'm guessing you realise forums are about debate right? Or argument if that's how you want to badge it. If you want to make statements nobody comments on or questions then maybe a private diary?

Yes you did say all of these things but you also have said, sorry, heavily implied it was a good but others reactions are overboard. I disagree. It was a superb result in difficult circumstances where he not only beat most of the field but also his former 'King of the wet' WDC team mate.

Mephistopheles, it was RasputinLives not Bill Boddy that called you mate

Hamberg that wasn't the point of your post I quoted though was it............................?

I know forums are about arguing but as we are agreeing on most of the points there is no point in arguing because we have the same point of view. Although you still did your best to accuse me subtly saying the result was only down to others which I never said.

Last edited:
by the way don't call me mate because I'm not your mate and you certainly ain't my friend....

Wow. Ok. Bit taken aback.

I disagree with your point and I'll debate it and I do so because I'm passionate about F1. I only debate it with people I respect and I know are passionate about F1 too. At no point did I ever get personnel nor would I.

Sorry you've got so angry about all this. Not my intention. I certainly never said you were wrong about everything.

I called you mate because in an internety way I count you as one. Guess I know where I stand eh?

Last edited:
This all seems to have gone a little over the top. Healthy discussion is fun. Getting personal is not. Count me out of this one.

Sorry RasputinLives I do class you as an internety friend but I'm a Bristolian and calling someone "Mate." in the context you used it, is taken as an aggressive stance down in this neck of the woods, or it could just be me being parochial.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I believe that FB has made the most sensible post on this entire subject, lets just see how his career pans out before we stick him up on a pedestal just so that people can come along and kick him off of it if he does not reach the heights of achievements some people have already endowed him with...

His Ronness was right when he said his feet should remain firmly planted on the ground at this point in his career....

Back
Top Bottom