Kevin Magnussen

The son of former McLaren Formula One driver Jan Magnussen makes his Formula One debut in the 2014 season. He started his racing career in karting and quickly moved onto more powerful single seaters.
After early success in Danish Formula Ford he was soon competing and winning in Formula Renault 2.0 and Formula 3 before competing in the Formula Renualt 3.5 series and winning the championship in his second year.

As a product of the same driver development program that brought us Lewis Hamilton as well as a strong racing pedigree, Magnussen has become accustomed to winning at all levels of the junior motorsport ranks and will want to continue his success when he makes his debut in March.

Okay I realize that in that day in history he got second but the points I have highlighted are valid and if I were a young racing driver I would know exactly where I stand and what my potential was on that day and would not feel that I had a genuine claim to the praise that some are heaping onto him and in fact it could do more harm that good in the long run.

If anyone of the points in my post above is not true please point which ones they are and please tell me hand on heart that you believe that his second position was down to his magnificent skill as a driver..

Like I said K Mag did well I am not denying that but there were a myriad of circumstances which contributed to that result and all I'm saying is don't get carried away by it after only one race, if he continues getting these results then all power to the lad...

Great well in that case I will not accord any assessment that can possibly be construed to relate to Jenson ****ing Button then, this may mean that I have to keep schtum about most things regarding F1 so from now on I will stick to the food thread for fear of being dubbed as a fan boy, but I may even trip up even then as I may talk about a Japanese recipe I may wish to try..

I am at a loss on how to post without being labeled, I think I need professional help..

I'm with Mephistopheles ... up to a point. K-Mag did okay but realistically others ****ing up did help. However, that is the way of F1 and indeed life itself. It is often said that one makes one's own luck. In that regard K-Mag made his own luck by being where it turned out to count. On another day that "luck" may not be with him. To use another cliche, "no man is an island" and to understand what that means one only has to look at the luck of the Oz GP pole sitter and the current F1 WDC.:)

That is indeed true Fenderman and and at no point have I said that he did not deserve his finishing position, after all to finish first, first you have to finish, but that does not cover everything that happens in a race, I would rather not big the lad up after just one race I would rather wait until I get a fuller picture.

Just in case anyone is wondering this post has nothing to do with Jenson ****ing Button...

Last edited:
Mephistopheles - Point is his team-mate is a World Champion and an excellent driver, and said team-mate required a big break to get close. I see no reason at all to disparage Magnussen at this race.

Maybe this doesn't prove that he's the world's second best driver, but I think that's a straw man. He did very well at this race, was held at bay by someone with illegal fuel mixing and deservedly finished 1st in the not Mercedes AMG category.

This was Kevin's first race in F1, and as a rookie on a very highly profiled team, performed exceptionally well considering all the pressures that must bring.

Kevin was also able to accomplish something, which hasn't been seen for a long time, a smile on the face of Ron Dennis.

You only suggested his performance merited a finish six places or more lower down the finishing order, because he had the temerity to drive a legal, reliable car, set a sufficient banker in qualifying, react well to pressure, not throw himself into a wall, not qualify in the mid-field accident zone and drive well in the wet.

At the least you're damning with faint praise.

If you say so, to my mind I just gave a trueful assessment of his race weekend nothing more nothing less how you take that is your problem not mine...

You've listed a bunch of drivers that would have been ahead of him had it not been wet and had there not been a yellow flag or had Hamilton finished or had Bottas not put in in a wall.

Who is to say those drivers caught by the yellow flag were going to go faster? Banker lap anyone?! Bottas did put it in a wall and well if Hamilton is being used as a reason for not giving praise then no drivers deserved their position.

It was his first race in a car people still don't understand, he had to qualify in that car in the wet, his job was to start as high as possible, to finish as high as possible and bonus points for convincingly beating a WDC team mate. He did all of that AND finished on the podium which McLaren failed to do last year so I think they are allowed to get a little excited.

Was it an exciting drive for spectators? Probably not. Was it a great quali and race for a rookie? Yes it bloody well was. Credit where it's due please.

Back
Top Bottom