Jim Clark

Today marks the 45th anniversary of that most tragic day at Hockenheim when Jim Clark, the greatest driver I ever had the pleasure of seeing in action, was killed when his Lotus crashed.

Clark amassed some incredible statistics: 33 F1 poles in 73 races, 25 wins in 72 starts. What always amazed me was how effortless he made it all appear. The one race of his that I will never forget was Monza in 1967. Clark was leading, but had to pit with tyre issues, thereby losing a lap. Upon rejoining, his brilliance was such that he not only recovered the lap he lost, but he regained the lead. Ultimately he ran out of fuel on the last lap, handing the win to Surtees in the Honda, but EVERYONE knew who was the "real" winner. And it's not like the field was weak, with the likes of Graham Hill, John Surtees, Jack Brabham,Jackie Stewart,Chris Amon,Denny Hulme, Dan Gurney, Bruce McLaren, Pedro Rodriguez, Jo Siffert and Jochen Rindt taking part!

I had the privilege of meeting Jimmy on several occasions (drivers were infinitely more accessible in those days), twice at the late and much-lamented Tasman series, and found him to be an extremely nice and modest man.

Formula 1 has never been the same for me since Clark's death.

Being from the beautiful Country that I come from I can undestand the instruction to give up your car. There is usually a gun at the side of your head:rolleyes:

He was long gone before I was old enough to attend my first U.S. Grand Prix, and I always regretted not being able to see Jim Clark drive. One of the things that you just had to like and admire about Jim, was his competitiveness in all forms of motorspots, and the fact he could win anytime that he got behind a wheel.

I was just about to turn of the telly and go to bed when I noticed that Jim Clark: The Quiet Champion is on BBC4 at 1am tonight. Recording that - never seen it.

You'll enjoy it, it's brilliant.

Incidentally has anybody on here been to the Jim Clark museum? It's on my to-do list and I'll be in Dumfrieshire this summer, so not too far and a chance to stop by on my way. Anybody knows what to expect?

I've been to the Jim Clark museum Incubus
It's quite small but free to enter, there's some personal looking photographs, we watched a short film and there's some interesting memorabelia. All in one room so not the V&A!
If you walk around the village there's mementos to him like the clock with the racing car, the locals are quite rightly proud of him.
We also visited his grave which had plenty of flowers and messages on it and I personally found it quite humbling.

Back
Top Bottom