Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

And this is the person who can apparently develop cars? Unless he solely designed the double diffuser I'm not sure that quality attributed is completely true.

Drivers feed back to engineers and tell them what has worked and what hasn't, it's not just about telemetry and what the stop watch says. Ayrton Senna used to be able to tell his engineers how the car had performed on every corner of every lap and break the corner down into three parts to help them understand what to do with the car to make it faster.

I cannot help but think that these days it is far less about the driver, and more about the data, regardless of which team and which driver. I would suggest that the driver feedback is as much about correlation as the wind tunnel vs CFD etc.

Yes but the engineers still have to translate that information into the car and if they can't do that then any feed back is pointless or the car maybe so fundamentally flawed it is impossible to do that, driver feed back is a small part of what is going on so why blame the driver if the car does not improve over the year?

Sometimes a teams can't even get the correlation between wind tunnel data and what actually happens on the track right which is a purely a mathematical/technical problem so how can they be expected to get the driver feed back and the car correct when that is a subjective problem.

Edit

The Pits posted at the same time I did.

Last edited:
I think he would be the perfect ambassador for it too. Hopefully between now and next September when season 2 of Formula E starts someone else will think like we do and sign him up.

Maybe before that. How much bigger would the crowds be at the E-Prix on the streets of London next June if Jenson was driving in it?

Guess it's been a pretty shit year for Jenson his dad died at the beginning of the year he has had to put up with another shit car and he has been left dangling on a sting about his F1 future and if that weren't enough to contend with he has to suffer getting married...

Bloody nightmare...

With it still undecided - as at 5 PM - I'm wondering if Honda's not prepared to come up with the extra money for Jenson so the board is having to decide on whether they want to pay a comparatively high salary or a comparatively low one. Otherwise I would think Jenson would be the obvious choice while the new Mac continues to be developed.

Back
Top Bottom