Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

I think that this season there has been one main change to last year.

Jenson has had the same race engineer consistently.

I'm no expert, but i bet that makes a difference.

What's also helped Jenson is that he fits into the car better than he fit into the MP4-25 for which he had no input. That 2010 car was designed around smaller framed drivers like Lewis and Kovy and Jenson sat 'too high' in it...and when you're attacking bends at 170mph it helps when you're 'one' with the car and also when you've had some level of input.

The other thing is that Jenson's found something in the Pirellis which gels better with his style than it gels with Lewis' style...not that Jenson is faster than Lewis generally. (He isn't...but the gap has reduced significantly from 2010).

I imagine every little bit helps when it comes to finding 1 or 2 tenths over a 100 second lap.

EDIT:

The other side of the coin is that Lewis has had his balls bashed in by the Stewards, media and some pesky little South American drivers in recent months and that can only help Jenson, relatively speaking. :D

Lewis' balls will heal after a period of convalescence...so Jenson must make hay whilst the sun is shining!

Gahahahah!!

Just reported that Button has signed a multi-year contract with McLaren.

How long is a 'Multi' LOL you have love the vague terms used in these contracts. So we are to assume its at least 2 years. Fairly sure a 1 year contract can't be a 'Multi' :thinking:

What's also helped Jenson is that he fits into the car better than he fit into the MP4-25

Is this a documented fact? I've seen you mention this several times Ray, but I don't recall any stories last year or this that centered around Button's comfort in contrast to the MP4-25. It may be true, but I'm fairly sure that McLaren would have gone to great lengths last year to ensure their driver was comfortable in the cockpit.

Oh, and congrats on the Pay-Day Jense!

Is this a documented fact? I've seen you mention this several times Ray, but I don't recall any stories last year or this that centered around Button's comfort in contrast to the MP4-25. It may be true, but I'm fairly sure that McLaren would have gone to great lengths last year to ensure their driver was comfortable in the cockpit.

I think I've seen this coming from somewhere outside Ontario as well, not sure who!

And welcome to the mod club, Keke! :tea:

Thanks TBY!

I guess it's natural that Button would be more "comfortable" in his 2nd McLaren car. Whether that's entirely because of roomier cockpit confines is up for debate.

Haven't seen any of the details Ras.

While looking I came across this quote from an ESPN article. Jenson pretty much confirms what everyone thinks the main difference is between him and Lewis.

"Lewis is very good. Even if his car is not perfect, he makes more of the opportunities than I do. I, on the other hand, feel uncomfortable in a car that does not meet my wishes or ideas. If I can not find the optimal setup, I find it difficult to drive extremely fast lap times."

In the article he also says that having a clear Number 1 is the way to win the WDC, but that he knows that won't be happening at McLaren.

http://en.espnf1.com/mclaren/motorsport/story/60439.html

Is this a documented fact?

Would a quote from Jenson Button from winter testing in February be ok? Or is more documentation required?

I have been saying he sat too high last year...that the car was built around smaller drivers like Hamilton and Kovalianen...and that if you're attacking fast corners and bends while bench-marked against Hamilton, you want to feel like you fit well in the car and are one with it.

Here:

http://motorcentral.com/f1-button-better-suited-to-2011-challenger

I can really feel that the car has been built around me, which obviously wasn’t possible last year because I arrived so late to the team,

I’m the tallest driver, so I’m the limiting factor, and I fit it very well – I’m in a much more comfortable position, which is important and we’ve just been making steps forward in many different areas. Lewis (Hamilton) and I have been giving a lot of feedback.”

I think I've seen this coming from somewhere outside Ontario as well, not sure who!

It's from a guy in England. Frome, I believe. 8-)

I guess I just struggle with the notion that McLaren were unable to create an MP4-25 to accommodate Button's frame.

And as a matter of fact, it appears Jense was actually driving an MP4-25 when he made the comments in the article you linked.

Despite piloting an interim version of the 2010 car, with this year’s chassis being launched in Germany on Friday.....

Like I said earlier, I've no doubt that Button is more "comfortable" in 2011, but I just wonder how much is due to the cockpit dimensions.

Wow... I got that wrong then didn't I? Unless McLaren's offer was astronomic... Well played JB and his management team but does anyone else think this all leaves Lewis a bit isolated, just when he needs to feel the love the most? Wasn't McLaren supposed to be Lewis' team?

I don't know what to say.

If he says he was feeling more comfortable with an updated iteration of the '10 car, then imagine how much more comfortable he would feel with the '11 car itself.

If he says he had input into the '11 design ... but none for the '10 design, then you can choose to believe him or not.

Congratulations on becoming a mod. :goodday:

Wasn't McLaren supposed to be Lewis' team?

No. It belongs to Ron Dennis and Gulf Kingdom investors mainly.

Drivers are only employees and they come and go. Like Senna and Prost, two of the greatest drivers to ever sit in a McLaren.

EDIT:

If the last 11 or 12 years are anything to go by, I don't expect McLaren to be making a world beater...and with Jenson there, I can't see Hamilton becoming World Champion in 2012 or 2013 - unless we see a type of near-perfection that's yet to be seen from him in F1 or that is rarely seen by most Aces in any one season.

I guess I just struggle with the notion that McLaren were unable to create an MP4-25 to accommodate Button's frame.

And as a matter of fact, it appears Jense was actually driving an MP4-25 when he made the comments in the article you linked.

I understood that once the chassis is laid down, you can no longer change the chassis intra-season. So, whatever they did for Jenson during the season wasn't 100 percent optimal for him.

We already know that he - unlike, say, a Hamilton - only seems to committ/extract maximum performance at 10-tenths at every bend on every single lap if everything is hooked up exactly to his liking. I'm sure every tiny bit makes a difference, even a psycological one. So, if the 2011 car is much more to his liking - as he himself, basically, says so - then he's obviously going to be happier and that much more committed.

I'm sure you can't disagree with Jenson's own opinion.

Brilliant news on the Button front, was hoping this news would come out before this weekend :). Really think that this could be a good thing for Mclaren, hopefully it'll boost there chances of getting a WCC in the near future.

Now that Button has tied up his seat for the long term at Mclaren that provides one more clue to how the driver market will play out in 2013 and onwards. I must admit I never really believed that Ferrari was a genuine option either from within the team or from Buttons point of view, however tempting it must be.

Button has certainly come a long way since those desperate few months prior to the start of the 2009 season and in many ways he has made a lot of people sit up take notice with some of his recent performances.

Going forward, I'm almost certain that Mclaren will be now looking in sharp focus at their 2012 car and with a 3rd year of virtually no major rule ammends should be in a prime place to challenge from day one. Especially so since the rules on EBD's have been pinched off meaning that avenue of development is no longer open. With out doubt, the 2012 cars will be evolution rather than revolution. Mclaren have done a great deal to close the gap so far and there is nothing to suggest they won't close it further from now until March next year.

Back
Top Bottom