Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

2008:

8 Poles - McLaren
8 Poles - Ferrari

Vettel and Kubica had the other two poles.

I think, if you take everything into account, McLaren and Ferrari basically had the co-fastest car in 2008 ... and you really have to go back to 2004 to say Ferrari have produced the fastest car.

Something to do with Jenson Button perhaps? ;)

Ok well then this is what Jenson should do IMMEDIATELY (as there's no time to waste, no time like the present, striking while the iron is hottest, etc...):

Call di Montezemolo and say:

"Look, I'm beating the guy who pushed Fernandp out of McLaren. I know you're paying him about $30 Million a year. Tell you what, Luca...Pay me a retainer of $20 Million per year over the next 3 years with escelators. The escelators kick in based on my percentage of Alonso's points. If i'm at 100 percent of Alonso's points, them pay me a 10 Million bonus, etcetera. I know you can afford that. Who knows, I might be a better driver than Alonso and it's info you'll need to know so you can hire Vettel as soon as, say, 2014 or '15. Either way, you can't lose."

:)

"Look, I'm beating the guy who pushed Fernandp out of McLaren. I know you're paying him about $30 Million a year. Tell you what, Luca...Pay me a retainer of $20 Million per year over the next 3 years with escelators. The escelators kick in based on my percentage of Alonso's points. If i'm at 100 percent of Alonso's points, them pay me a 10 Million bonus, etcetera. I know you can afford that. Who knows, I might be a better driver than Alonso and it's info you'll need to know so you can hire Vettel as soon as, say, 2014 or '15. Either way, you can't lose."

"Oh, and by the way, Luca. I'm a very good looking man and imagine all the merchandising money coming in from various sources. My face will be everywhere and you already know that women swoon when they look at me."

LOL

Could I please ask, in my role as moderator, that some of the sniping and less than complimentary comments toward Jenson stop please. If you don't like him, don't contribute to the thread it's very simple. Just because you don't like him doesn't mean everyone else holds the same view.

Thank you

FB

I think Hamilton being pushed off the circuit may have something to do with that...
Besides, Schumacher's tyres were gone at that point, which is why he pitted for new ones.

Yes he overtook both of them, but I wouldn't class them as difficult overtakes under the circumstances.

But he did overtake Schumacher when he was given his opportunity and he went around the outside at Ascari whereas Lewis was seemingly kept trying to sell the same move lap after lap which clearly was not working

Schumacher actually could have cut back on Jenson like he did with Lewis but realised Jenson was already there and had to yield

Alonso - he did him on the inside when the line to the next corner was a left hander and Alonso should have been favourite to block him off

I should add I think some people should hold their heads in shame on here (and Eddie Jordan) who were quick in labelling Jenson a wimp last year for failing to overtake Schumacher in Spain (Barcelona) and bragging Lewis would have nailed Schumacher just because he is suppose to be the supreme overtaker... Monza proved otherwise Lewis would have done better and proves how hard Schumacher will defend his position to overtake and even risk wiping your nose off

A few points.

Hamilton will never go to Ferrari while Alonso is there.

Hamilton will never go to Red Bull while Vettel is there - Horner confirmed that.

If McLaren never made Alonso or Hamilton number 1 driver, why would they do so for Button?

Which is why Jenson's position / prospects are better than LEwis' because the two teams you mentioned would prefer Jenson than Lewis as the teammate to their main driver because he's not going to cause huge uproar and act petulantly with the wrong words in front of the camera or disobeying a team order - Hungary 2007 quali was Hamilton's fault but Alonso made himself look like a bigger idiot with his antics that followed

Make no mistake Red Bull would be the coveted drive every driver would want now with Newey in that team

Ferrari is more like every driver's dream to drive for them..Alonso knows Jenson from their days at Renault together whilst there is mutual respect it won;t get as ugly or intense as his rivalry with Hamilton in 2007 as teammates

Monza proved you can't hold off a car with shot tyres. It also proved that if you run a guy off the road and weave in front of him you'll get away with it, depending on who you are and what the stewards had for breakfast.

I've said it many times before Schumacher has done it many times in the past and some accused me of being anti - German or take it as its simply motor racing especially when Schumi squeezed Rubens into the wall last year...I am sure people would have said something different if Schumi had done it to Lewis or taken his nose off at Monza

Monza proved you can't hold off a car with shot tyres. It also proved that if you run a guy off the road and weave in front of him you'll get away with it, depending on who you are and what the stewards had for breakfast.

Schumacher tried it on Jenson last year in Barcelona and his critics were quick to label Jenson" wimp"," coward","bottler" for failing to find a way pass on a track that is almost impossible to overtake whereas it is easier at Monza to pass

I should add Lewis actually got past Schumacher but immediately fell asleep and forgot to defend his line and was retaken next corner on about lap 14

Schumacher tried it on Jenson last year in Barcelona and his critics were quick to label Jenson" wimp"," coward","bottler" for failing to find a way pass on a track that is almost impossible to overtake whereas it is easier at Monza to pass

I should add Lewis actually got past Schumacher but immediately fell asleep and forgot to defend his line and was retaken next corner on about lap 14

That's an interesting summary of events. One I will wholeheartedly disagree with and move on from. With our views on this so far apart I can't see it's worth trying to find a middle ground on this. When you start interjecting things like "Lewis got past but immediately fell asleep" then it's a sure sign that we're not about to have an objective debate. I'll leave you with your version of events to behold rather than try to take them apart. This forum went through that over a week ago.

That's an interesting summary of events. One I will wholeheartedly disagree with and move on from. With our views on this so far apart I can't see it's worth trying to find a middle ground on this. When you start interjecting things like "Lewis got past but immediately fell asleep" then it's a sure sign that we're not about to have an objective debate. I'll leave you with your version of events to behold rather than try to take them apart. This forum went through that over a week ago.

I am sure if Jenson spent 20 to 30 laps behind Schumacher and Lewis did the move in one go there will multiple posts now praising what a brilliant overtaker Lewis is and what a lousy racer Jenson is

So when Lewis spent 30 laps behind MS there is absolutely no explanation ( like he was proving a point) and when Jenson overtook in one lap, again there was no explanation ( tyres, radio warning)?

Jenson suddenly showed what he has been hiding all this time, that he is faster and better than Lewis, bolder, braver and the better overtaker?

Hmm. You've got me confused with all this football lark. Means nothing to me and in all my time on 606 I can't think for the life of me how you reached that conclusion.

Anyway, football and 606 aside, Button gets plenty of credit and plenty of criticism, as does Lewis. The problem is that Lewis' drives range from brilliant to poor whereas Jensen's drives range from very good to mediocre. Lewis can be very bipolar in his results whereas Jensen is constant. Jenson gets credit and criticism for being Jensen whilst Lewis gets credit and criticism for being Lewis.

I have to say, it would be easier to support Jensen. You can rely on him getting a decent result most of the time. What you don't get from Jensen is the constant anticipation of brilliance that you get from Lewis.

The attention they each get, positive and negative, is not any surprise to me. It is easily explainable.

Which is how Prost and Senna were viewed as teammates at Mclaren

Back
Top Bottom