Is Alonso the luckiest driver on the grid?

It was for Vettel and the opposite for Alonso.Tthat is unless you are suggesting that Alonso engineered the fault in the Renault engine in which case that is another talent Alonso has that we didn't know about. :p

I wouldn't put Vettel's car down to bad luck, but its not an error from him its an error by Renault. It happened for a reason, so it wasn't unlucky.
Scientifically speaking everything happens for a reason.

But as the ninja says the fault on Vettels car was completely outside of Alonso's control and it was of benefit to him. So I with many would say Alonso was lucky.

Not to take anything away from Alonso himself who I think is an awesome driver. Driver skill, a good car and good luck make a formidable combination as we saw on Sunday.

To be honest I think it is a good car now, impressions last and the car started the year as a bad one and the impression has stuck but this is clearly a much better car than the one that lined up to start the Austrailian Grand Prix.

Indeed, it is better and even Massa can get something out of it, but not quite up there with RBR or McLaren, possibly even slightly behind Lotus :dunno:

I tend not to look at the different circuits and their peculiarities, in the same way as I judge a car by its abilities over a season (which, of course, change with the upgrades), although these are always subject to who is driving.

Which is why I don't believe that Nando was especially lucky - he is the single most consistent driver this season - his lowest position is ninth, 2 wins, a second, a third, 2 fifths and a seventh. Of course, this may change throughout the rest of the season, but at the moment I would like to think this is more down to skill than luck.

In sport, business and life in general, there's no such thing as luck. "Lucky" people work hard to position themselves to be able to recognize an opportunity when they see it coming then grab hold of it with both hands. Unlucky people let opportunities slip past without even realizing it was an opportunity or at best realizing it was too late. Alonso's a master at putting himself in a position to capitalize on every opportunity that comes his way. Hamilton's misfortune may appear lucky for Alonso but if you look at their lap times all it did was hand him a place he would have taken anyway. Working his way from 11th to 2nd had nothing to do with luck and placed him perfectly to take the win when Vettel failed.

Valencia just howed how luck can alternate ha-ha-ha.

ouch.jpg

To suggest that Alonso was lucky at Valencia could well be correct...

I put his luck at 90% manufactured by Alonso... 10% manufactured by Renault

The good/bad luck evens itself out. The F2012 at the very beginning of the season could be considered back luck to the drivers, but with smart, consistent and mostly conservative driving, you can finish very well. Alonso and Ferrari have proven this season that being excellent in your strongest areas (pit stops, reliability) and improving your weakest areas (F2012 downforce) at each race you set yourself up for success.

I wouldn't call what Alonso has luck. He puts himself in positions to score the maximum points possible from the situation he's in. That has brought him wins, podiums, ect with a crap car. I guess you could say the great drivers create their own luck.

Back
Top Bottom