Is Alonso the luckiest driver on the grid?

I seem to remember Schumacher & Vettel getting the same reputation in their strongest years.

It's true, Alonso is lucky, but then so are others, he's just making betting use of it, or being more ready to take advantage when the pendulum swings his way right now

Yes, you could consider Alonso "lucky", but you need to get yourself in position to be "lucky".

Others, mainly Hamilton and his team, have been singularly unable to capitalize on the misfortune of others.

At this point in time you'd have to say that Alonso is driving just about as well as anybody ever has, and skill played a bigger part than luck today.

Like I said, name the last time Alonso lost when leading and the guy in 2nd position ( making his own luck by virtue of being 2nd as many posters are implying ) won. Lets not forget he was half a minute off the lead and so despite all his overtaking would have only ended up P3 with the same drive.

What exactly would lead you to conclusion that a car is dominant, I would argue that in Malaysia he had the joint best car for the conditions with Sauber, again he had the car underneath him to win in Barcelona or Monaco, yet it took a retirement and a safety car to give him the win. Even in 2010, whenever Alonso won, Massa was on podium except Singapore where he started way back due to qualifying issues.

Well with Ferrari having traditionally a good race car than qualifying, its easy to say that he does not have the car based on qualifying and then praising him for gaining places during the races.

No you make your own luck.

I don't believe he is lucky because if I did then I would have to believe in some sort of external benevolent force such as fairies guiding a persons fate and looking out for them throughout their lives, which I don't..

I don't believe in horoscopes, palm reading, tarot cards, the boogeyman, mystic Meg, a psychic pig or any of that sort of mumbo jumbo either...

I'll say another thing. Alonso has routinely received excellent service in the pits. If he was receiving Hamilton's service, he wouldn't be perceived as being lucky by any stretch of the imagination. Mainly because he wouldn't be put in position to succeed.

F1 has never been more of a "Team" sport than it is now. And Fernando's team is 100% behind him.

Yup. had he been unlucky he might have been born butt ugly. Sorry to stray off topic ... although I did use the word luck in there, sort of ... :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom