Did Vettel retire 1 year too early?

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
It could have been Vettel on the podium in place of Alonso.

Clearly RB and Verstappen are going to win everything again but Vettel could at least have gone out on more of a high.

Although Vettel wouldn't have brought 6 tenths , so there's always that ...

It could have been Vettel on the podium in place of Alonso.

Clearly RB and Verstappen are going to win everything again but Vettel could at least have gone out on more of a high.

Although Vettel wouldn't have brought 6 tenths , so there's always that ...
I don’t think that Vettel retired because he wasn’t competitive. i think he retired because his heart was no longer in F1 - and couldn’t justify the cognitive dissonance caused by driving f1 cars whilst also campaigning about pollution.

Losing Vettel has made a real difference - there’s no longer so much of a visible, active social conscience. (Early on his career, I never thought I’d have said that).

I agree with The Artist..... I think Seb had simply had enough. I definitely think he'd have had another year in him pace wise but not in his head.

There are two types of drivers who go on too long. Those that no longer have the pace but firmly believe they still do and those that have the pace but mentally believe they don't.

(leaving out those thst never had the pace in the first place but somehow still managed to show up on the grid every year)

I'll leave it to others to work out who fits best into which category.

LOL

on pure performance yes, Vettel will be lying if he wasnt regretful about leaving F1, because any wouldve loved to have been in that car. & the what if, just schumacher in 2007, Coulthard in 2009, & theres a reason why F1 drivers never really retired Alonso, Lauda, Prost, Mansell all came back to F1. Button at Le Mans, Both him & Kimi going to Nascar. Barrichello & Grosjean in IndyCar & his performances last season in those last 2 months once it is was asian, American run in. he looked back to his best, he had since before germany 2018. but whether that was because the pressure was off & he was just enjoying his final few races. we may never know

but i think he personally made the correct decision, because he wanted to spend more time with his young family & not miss out on the childhood. which with an ever expanding calendar with testing starting at the end of February & the 23 races later finishing at the end of november. something had to give. but if he had known how good this car would be, he may have stayed. but that the benefit of hindsight

If Vettel was in the car he'd have won......

Just kidding.

I think he would have got the podium but personally I don't think he gives a crap anymore.

Some drivers hold on to F1 for all their worth until they find the majority of their career will be remembered for running in the midfield (Alonso, Kimi) whilst others leave at the top and never look back (Rosberg, Hakkinen). I think Vettel realised he was probably two thirds of the way to becoming the former so decided to jump out for the latter.

If Vettel was in the car he'd have won......

Just kidding.

I think he would have got the podium but personally I don't think he gives a crap anymore.

Some drivers hold on to F1 for all their worth until they find the majority of their career will be remembered for running in the midfield (Alonso, Kimi) whilst others leave at the top and never look back (Rosberg, Hakkinen). I think Vettel realised he was probably two thirds of the way to becoming the former so decided to jump out for the latter.
yeah kimi was odd driver so in a way we probally all shouldve expected it. but i remember wasnt there a time when Kimi became angry at a journalist. because nobody could understand why he was so happy to be racing around in 15th. as he said that he just wanted to race F1 cars even if they werent competitive

Vettel achieved everything with Red Bull his dream was to emulate Schumacher to cement his legacy but the politics really has taken too much toll on him . He was never going to reach the heights of his early career once his Ferrari dream died.

Just watching the Race on why Vettel Ferrari's dream was doomed before it started

Alonsh is still clutching on straws that he has a point to prove. A pattern with Alonso is he comes in full.of energy but falls out once things go downhill really fast

Indeed, the situation with Vettel in Formula 1 in recent years was not very good. You could say that he has lost his drive and his confidence, which were associated with the best years at Red Bull Racing. He moved to Ferrari hoping for great success, but he never stayed in first place in the red car.

Only Vettel can decide if he left too early, from what he has said the answer is no, various drivers have left for many reasons, some like Button the fun has gone, that doesn't mean the fun has gone from racing, just has gone from F1, it is an intense sport but when it becomes a dreary job, time to go

Indeed, the situation with Vettel in Formula 1 in recent years was not very good. You could say that he has lost his drive and his confidence, which were associated with the best years at Red Bull Racing. He moved to Ferrari hoping for great success, but he never stayed in first place in the red car.
At the same time, it is worth noting that Vettel is an outstanding driver, who has many victories and titles in Formula 1 to his credit. Despite the unsuccessful last years in Formula 1, Vettel continues to fight for the best results and demonstrates a high level of results. His move to Aston Martin could be a new stage in his career and give him the opportunity to show his talent and winning spirit again.

At the same time, it is worth noting that Vettel is an outstanding driver, who has many victories and titles in Formula 1 to his credit. Despite the unsuccessful last years in Formula 1, Vettel continues to fight for the best results and demonstrates a high level of results. His move to Aston Martin could be a new stage in his career and give him the opportunity to show his talent and winning spirit again.
Are you talking about Vettel or Alonso?

Vettel has retired and Alonso has moved to Aston Martin.

Interesting was watching this on YouTube last night and they think Vettel had the most awkward fall out wit Ferrari compared to Alonso

I think Vettel had one dream left and that was win with Ferrari like Schumacher and when that failed it seems he was a spent force

I don’t think that Vettel retired because he wasn’t competitive. i think he retired because his heart was no longer in F1 - and couldn’t justify the cognitive dissonance caused by driving f1 cars whilst also campaigning about pollution.

Losing Vettel has made a real difference - there’s no longer so much of a visible, active social conscience. (Early on his career, I never thought I’d have said that).
You know the only saying something is Hamilton and everyone is telling him to keep politics out of sport and labelling him attention seeker.. funny how because he has a different skin colour opinions on him are different to Vettel

Back
Top Bottom