Indy Racing League Tragedy - R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

It is the greatest sadness of motorsport that young men give up their lives for it. It is ridiculous for IndyCar to be using the same unsafe spec cars as they did 9 years ago, and it is mad to add more cars to a smaller circuit in Vegas.

All of these recriminations are deserved and hopefully such accidents will be prevented in future. For now, Rest In Peace Dan Wheldon.

Something looks very bad with these Indy cars blasting past in pack on such a banked high speed oval. These cars don't normally run like that. This oval is meant for NASCAR which is about 75 kmph slower, and the NASCAR don't tend to fly. These IndyCars were flying, I mean literally flying during this multi-car pile up. It is a very bad decision to stage an Indycar race in this track.

Something looks very bad with these Indy cars blasting past in pack on such a banked high speed oval. These cars don't normally run like that. This oval is meant for NASCAR which is about 75 kmph slower, and the NASCAR don't tend to fly. These IndyCars were flying, I mean literally flying during this multi-car pile up. It is a very bad decision to stage an Indycar race in this track.
I'm hoping something comes out of this, Indy Car have not said anything at the moment in regards to an investigation. Which is correct, they should wait at least a week to let those mourn Dan, but then make the necessary statements.

There is numerous footage on YouTube of the accident, they are frightening there is in car footage of Charlie Kimball and you see Will Power fly over Charlie's head only inches above his helmet and as he spins you then see the underside of Dan's car & I estimate he's about 6 to 8 feet off the ground as he too goes airborne.

Not right both Dan & Will Power went airborne through hitting the rear end of other cars at speed, be interesting how Indy Car mitigate again this for the future?

Watching that makes you wonder what would have happened if they let the Michelin cars race at Indianapolis in 2005, If the tyres blew going round turn 13 in traffic there would have been a similar accident :(

wheldonap_2028715c.jpg

RIP Dan.

Recriminations can be saved for another day. Today my heartfelt condolences go to his family and friends. I only caught highlights of just a few of his races but it is clear he was a great Indy champion over the water and he may one day have made it to F1.

Again, condolences to his family. R.I.P. Dan Wheldon.

In the pictures posted above, the 1st picture you see the 77 car to the left airborne is Dan, to his right the other car airborne and on it's side is Will Power.

On the the 5th picture, it's near the end of the crash & you see Dan's car with the Bowers & Wilkins logo. You also see Will Power's #12 car in the back ground, you can see the integrity of the car above Will's head is still intact. What you don't see is the same for Dan's car, the integrity has been lost with the impact.

As ATL said, Dan's car has suffered heavy impact damage to the roll hoop, probably from the outer wall. a horrifying crash, much like Greg Moore's, and there's nothing he could do to avoid it. Totally stupid to have that many cars on that circuit. What is so sad is that these guys do this for our entertainment, regardless of the financial rewards.. I totally agree with Fenderman, recriminations are for another day, but to me this was avoidable. Dan was a very good and very experienced racing driver.

A very sad day.

Whatever the ins and outs of why this happened, Dan knew that it could happen. Indycars have never been made fully safe, maybe never can be.

Whatever the ins and outs of why this happened, Dan knew that it could happen. Indycars have never been made fully safe, maybe never can be.

He may have known it could happen but its no excuse for the cars not to be made safe.

I've just seen the footage once and I'm surprised more drivers weren't killed or seriously injured. I'm not sure if I want to watch any more. Cars should not go airbourne like that in close procession and the fuel tanks should never rupture to that extent.

F1 has spent 100's of millions trying to prevent any more drivers losing their life in the sport. The last 17 years has been the safest in history, possibly too safe as the drivers now drive like they are invincible. It took a death of a legend in F1 to make people realise that things had to change. The organisers of Indy racing need to take stock and rebuild the sport from the ground up.

The sport itself is not short of money or sponsors, I would hope that they don't start a new season until the regulations and safety are considerably altered.The circuits are not really suitable, the cars are outdated, the drivers themselves are quick but I don't think they have to go through the same tests as F1 in order to become a driver.

I'm hoping Indy can learn from this tragedy and bring the sport up to the same standard of safety as F1

RIP Dan.

RIP Dan new car should be lots safer for those wondering lots of coverage here in Indy. Nothing wrong with ovals, but the tracks in Vegas and Texas are certainly too fast for these cars.

Tragic, Just Tragic.

Walked in on the crash when it was shown BBc news (something i tried to avoid). It was amazing (wrong word to use i know) that somebody else didn't get killed either.

A bit pissed of at how i keep reading/hearing how it is a huge loss for British Motorsport. Its a loss for Motorsport full stop. A 2 time Indy 500 winner and a Indycar champion. The guy was a credit to motorsport and seemed a genuine nice guy.

Really upset by this, I was hoping he would find a good drive in IndyCar this season, and was really thrilled to see him comeback and win the Indy 500 this year.

R.I.P Dan Wheldon.

Can only echo the sentiments already shown on here by others. What is as tragic is that not only was Dan Wheldon involved in the development of the 2012 Indycar, but that the car will incorporate bodywork specifically designed in such a way that cars becoming airborne through hitting another car's wheels/wheels interlocking should now be a thing of the past.

Back
Top Bottom