Indy Racing League Tragedy - R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

RIP Dan Wheldon

I don;t want to see a death at a motorsport especially on TV. I was numb for a whole day when Senna died after realising the consequences of his accident.

He was asked to compete at this event because they felt his past reputation as Indycar champion and Indy 500 winner deserved it better than some unknown novice/ amateur which the organisers had planned

While there will be a lot of ground covered in terms of investigations and explenations into how this tragic accident occured, you can't help but wonder how this effected the weekend:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karl-uberbacher/dan-wheldon-five-million-dollars_b_1009505.html

There's nothing more to add to the above at this time.

The track is dangerous for Indy cars. They were running three and four abreast. Dan was one of 15 cars involved and 5 million dollars had nothing to do with it.

It makes you realize just how much these motorsport drivers are playing with there lives when they step into these motor-racing cars and really do earn their money unlike the primadonna footballers we have these day.

Feeling very sad at the moment and really hope that in India F1 will show its respects to our Dan Wheldon.

The track is dangerous for Indy cars. They were running three and four abreast. Dan was one of 15 cars involved and 5 million dollars had nothing to do with it.

Sadly, I disagree. He was starting at the back of the field as a result of the 5 million doller challenge. He would win 5 million dollers and some money for a lucky fan if he could start from the back of the grid and go on to win the race.

Motorsport really dosn't need these gimmicks. As you said, the track was dangerous enough as it was.

A very sad day.

Sadly, I disagree. He was starting at the back of the field as a result of the 5 million doller challenge. He would win 5 million dollers and some money for a lucky fan if he could start from the back of the grid and go on to win the race.

Motorsport really dosn't need these gimmicks. As you said, the track was dangerous enough as it was.

A very sad day.

Thats why they asked him or his fellow competitors thought he was a better entrant for the competition than some unknown novice because of his past record at IRL and Indy

Whatever the reason it's a shame.

If he really was called up because of his reputation, then those that convinced him must be feeling really guilty, of course it isn't their fault, but things like these brings guilt.

Such a shame, I have never heard of Dan Wheldon, but it sounds as if he was a real talent, and a death is not nice.

R.I.P. Dan.

Mercifully, at least none of the debris went into the stands to injure or kill spectators as could easily have happened given the number of cars and speeds involved.

A truly tragic day, and a loss to all motorsports.

It's suggested that his was one of the cars that landed cockpit-side on to the wall which, possibly, made the roll over bar/hoop structure collapse. It would have been unsurvivable. Something akin to Greg Moore landing cockpit-side against an infield wall in California a dozen years ago.

I've seen multiple on-board and other angles of the shunt and, especially, Wheldon's car.

It went airborne after his front mounted the rear tyres of the car directly ahead, piroutted 360 degrees mid-air, landed top end (cockpit exposed) onto the wall and caught fire as it scraped arcoss the highfence.

It didn't look like his car came back down in one piece.

Others were very lucky indeed as there were bits of car and wreckage strewn everywhere, some still on fire.

Again, RIP and sincerest condolences to his family and friends. I distinctly remember his post Indy 500 interview in Victory Lane earlier in May. Seemed like a good, humble bloke.

Shame.

Just finished watching NFL and knew nothing of this, just about to go to bed & caught up on BBC headlines to see the sad news.

I had to see what happened, looking at the footage he was at the back of the field & couldn't avoid the crash as it happened in front of him. He hit a car's rear wheel and went airborne hitting the barrier then the above catch fencing cockpit side, at that speed he had no chance. Just amazed no one else was killed.

This will be a turning point for Indy racing.

RIP Dan Wheldon

I also have no plans to see this.
I am deeply saddened by the news. I remember my elation when he won Indy for the first time and I heard it on Radio 4, the first British winner since Graham Hill in 1966.
Indy this year was an epic event and tragically there will now be no defending champion.
A great talent lost to us.

My thoughts go to his family and friends.

Real sadness at hearing this news. Dan was a tremendously talented driver and his loss will be keenly felt.

I think this was going to be the last race for that chassis anyway. And of course Dan was brought in specially for the race. So a really tragic sequence of events all round.

Back
Top Bottom