2 drivers per nation
At least 2 circuits raced on in the chosen country
Identical cars
Identical tyres and everything else
Only difference the paint jobs and colours
Any 2 F1 drivers current or past
MUST have a super license

Idea from this http://superleagueformula.com/races
Search online for more videos it's on bloomberg don't know which days just keep a look out
What would your ideas be?

I think if it were an Olympic sport, it would have to be held as a one-race event over three days.

2012 at Brands
2016 at Jacarepagua?

Or maybe on the streets?

The closest sport in the Olympics is track cycling. A mix of team and individual endeavour. The bikes are not the same, but much greater governance on design was introduced after our own Chris Boardman decimated the competition on a Lotus monocoque bike which cost over £0.5 million to develop. a retail model later became available for around £15,000.

An olympic f1 race is a great idea - especially if they convert to eco-green-savetheplanet technology to please the IOC

Had to hit the like button a lot again just as it's a fun thread (this far). Olympic F1? Nah, don't think so ... but .... how about Olympics version of 'Race of Champions'? It's already a stadium sport so perfectly do-able.

Only one critical issue that I should point out, is that to date all Olympic sports require the application human motive power aside from bloomin' horses, that is. As far as I'm aware that has always been the case and it's probably in the regulations.

How many nations compete in the Olympics? I suspect a massive grid or a week of qualifying races, quarter finals, semi finals and a final Final ... two car shoot out to find the champ?:thinking:

Yes, but not every olympic nation would qualify for F1, would they? Most wouldn't be able to enter due to lack of a Superlicence.

Yes, but not every olympic nation would qualify for F1, would they? Most wouldn't be able to enter due to lack of a Superlicence.
Yeah, nice get out clause. After posting another comment I've been wading through the IOC's Olympic Charter to try and find the rules about motive power and remembered that Equestrian's have their slot! So I don't know where we stand on engines. Might have to use pedal cars!:D

And they say that the only medals the Uk win at the olympics are when they're sitting down...

Having skimmed and scanned through the Olympic Charter I found nothing to exclude motor sports. However, I found this:

"Criteria for being an Olympic sport
In order to be included on the Olympic programme, a summer sport must fulfil, amongst others, the following conditions:
– it must be widely practised (by men, in 75 countries on four continents; by women, in 40 countries and on three continents);
– the World Anti-Doping Code must be applied;
– it must not rely on mechanical propulsion (such as a motor).

Today, a winter sport must be widely practised in at least 25 countries and on three continents in order to be included on the programme. No distinction is made between men and women’s events."

Courtesy of: © The Olympic Museum, 2nd edition 2007

See: http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Reports/EN/en_report_668.pdf

Just thought you might like to know before getting carried away with a non-starter.

Fenders, we know its a non-starter, hence its position in OT(P)W. Now let the craziness begin.
Sorry, just thought some of the younger peep's might not have known. I agree now we can go all out and party!:thumbsup:

I still like the idea of pedal cars though and it's in the Olympic "spirit":) I :thinking:.

Edit: You'll have to excuse me, I'm in a rather serious frame of mind today.

Today, a winter sport must be widely practised in at least 25 countries and on three continents in order to be included on the programme. No distinction is made between men and women’s events."

Now if i can find 25 countries with at least 1 driver with a super license and on 3 continents, we shall make it a sport! And i didn't say women couldnt! Let the search commence!

No we need 75 countries on 4 continents for Olympic inclusion, and theres only been 34 countries in World Championship history.

But lets move on to the grid:

Rules: Must have started a race in the last four years, two cars per team maximum:

So I've got my two car teams:

NationDriver 1Driver 2
GermanyS VettelN Rosberg
Great BritainL HamiltonJ Button
SpainF AlonsoJ Alguersuari
BrazilF MassaR Barrichello
ItalyJ TrulliV Liuzzi
IndiaK ChandhokN Karthikeyan
FinlandK RaikkonenH Kovalainen
JapanK KobayashiT Sato
FranceS BourdaisR Grosjean
AustriaC KlienA Wurz

Those 20 can be joined by 6 one car entries:

NationEntrant
AustraliaM Webber
BelgiumJ d'Ambrosio
MexicoS Perez Mendoza
SwitzerlandS Buemi
RussiaV Petrov
VenezuelaP Maldonado
PolandR Kubica

But there are still places for one car on the grid, so Friday testers it must be and Malaysia's Fairuz Fauzy. (Scott Speed and Christijan Albers just miss out!)

Now if i can find 25 countries with at least 1 driver with a super license and on 3 continents, we shall make it a sport! And i didn't say women couldnt! Let the search commence!

This was:

Fenderman quoting:
"Today, a winter sport must be widely practised in at least 25 countries and on three continents in order to be included on the programme. No distinction is made between men and women’s events."​
So to avoid confusion I've added a little colour to my earlier post.

Meanwhile, in a think tank near CTA, London ....

BE "... I like the Wintersport approach ... 25 grid spots ... shaping up nicely. Now, if we can drop the Super license and prescribe peddle cars with tracked rears and ski fronts can we invite Nike and Reebok to enter in a 'tread war'?"

Edit: While I was in my think tank with BE, TBY has been really hard at it. So, I propose a Winter Olympic Formula and TBY's Summertime fOne

So you ask the obvious question, how do you number the cars? Has to be by Drivers Championship, with Team-Mates falling in line, as such:

2010 WDC: 1 Vettel 2 Rosberg
2009 WDC : 3 Button 4 Hamilton
2007 WDC: 5 Raikkonen 6 Kovalainen
2010 RU: 7 Alonso 8 Alguersuari
2008 RU: 9 Massa 10 Barrichello
2010 P3: 11 Webber
2008 P4: 12 Kubica (leave number in honour)
2009 P8: 14 Trulli 15 Liuzzi
2007 P11: 16 Wurz 17 Klien
2010 P12: 18 Kobayashi 19 Sato
2010 P13: 20 Petrov
2010 P16: 21 Buemi
2008 P17: 22 Bourdais 23 Grosjean

Then:

24 Chandhok 25 Karthikeyan

Then by GP2!

26 Maldonado
27 Perez
28 d'Ambrosio

1.England- Button, Hamilton
2.Germany- Schumacher Vettel
3.France- Panis Prost
4.Brazil- Massa, Senna
5.Italy- Badoer, De cesaris
6.Austtalia- Webber, Ricciardo
7.Finland- Kovalainen, Hakkinen
8.Japan- Kobayashi, Sato
9.India- Karthikeyan, Chandok
10.Spain-Alonso, Alguesauri
11.Belgium-Adams, D'ambrosio
12.Scotland-Coulthard, Di Resta
13.USA-Speed, Sam Hornish Jr (no superlicense but is eligible for one)
14.Austria-Wurz, Klien
15.Denmark-Magnussen, Kiesa
16.Switzerland- Buemi, Chiesa
17.Venezula-Maldonado, Cecotto
18.Mexico- Perez, Rebaque
19.Netherlands-Verstappen, Albers
20.Canada- J. Villenueve, J.Villenueve Snr
21.Colombia- Londono, Montoya
22.Portugal- Lamy, Monteiro
23.Ireland- Daly, Firman
24.Argentina- Mazzacane, Fontana
25.Sweden- Johansson, Brack (see Sam Hornish Jr)#

These wouldn't neccesarily be the countries choices but they are all able to take part despite some age!

Back
Top Bottom