If F1 was an Olympic sport

I'm afraid to tell you Riccardo Londono-Bridge will be entirely unable to take part since he is dead.
Also England and Scotland are not technically different Olympic countries.

Brilliant!:thumbsup:

Edit: :oops: Once again TBY slips in whilst I slowly type! That "Brilliant!:thumbsup:" was meant for Jos's post.

This is meant for TBY's: Can't we have dead people and ex-independent countries? Just for laff's?:thinking:

I'm afraid to tell you Riccardo Londono-Bridge will be entirely unable to take part since he is dead.
Also England and Scotland are not technically different Olympic countries.

Damn it! and they can split if they want to, they have different world cup teams so who's stopping them?
And replace him with Guerrero

Damn it! and they can split if they want to, they have different world cup teams so who's stopping them?

The IOC, I believe. We'd need to have Scottish independence for that to happen in the Olympics.

Having said that, its all hypothetical anyway so why not?

Can't we have dead people and ex-independent countries? Just for laff's?:thinking:

Can if we like, sort of changes the goalposts though.

Scotland's team wouldn't be Coulthard and di Resta, put it that way! And I can't see Felipe/Burno edging out Piquet, Senna and Emmo for a place in team Brazil. Think we should make Sao Paulo independent, just to see what happens!

13.USA-Speed, Sam Hornish Jr (no superlicense but is eligible for one)

Forget about Scott Speed. I think the guy has raced in about 6 different series in the last 4 years without any success whatsoever. He doesn't deserve an Olympic drive!

Alexander Rossi would be the US of A's number one driver. I believe he is the only American that currently holds an FIA Superlicense as well.

As for the second seat, I'd go with Kyle Busch.

There could be:

Great Britain: Hamilton and Button
Germany: Vettel and Rosberg
Brazil: Barrichello and Massa
Japan: Kobayashi and Sato
Spain: Alonso and Alguersuari
Australia: Webber and Ricciardo
Finland: Raikkonen and Kovalainen
Italy: Trulli and Liuzzi
India: Chandhok and Karthikeyan
Malaysia: Yoong and Fauzy
USA: Speed and the secret younger version of Mario Andretti
France: Grosjean and Bourdais
Switzerland: Buemi and Jani
Denmark: Magnussen and Kiesa
Holland: Verstappen and Albers
Canada: Villeneuve and Wickens
Austria: Klien and Wurz
Argentina: Mazzacane and Fontana (God help them!)
Mexico: Perez and Guttierrez
Czech Republic: Charouz and Enge
Portugal: Lamy and Monteiro

Having a little fun here :D;

GBR - Coulthard, D. and Davidson, A.
GER - Winkelhock, M. and Schumacher, R.
BRA - di Grassi, L. and Piquet Jr., N.
SPN - Gene, M. and de la Rosa, P.
ITA - Fisichella, G. and Badoer, L.
JAP - Nakajima, K. and Sato, T.
FRA - Bourdais, S. and Grosjean, R.
AUS - Wurz, A. and Klien, C.
IND - Chandhok, K. and Karthikeyan, N.
NED - Doornbos, R. and Albers, C.

Now that's an Olympic Grid!

Ok to do this properly we need to make it as technical as possible without an engine so the best option would be soapbox racing (with pedals for the uphill parts)

We will need tracks of around 60 miles in length for a 2 hour race and be mainly down hill so I would recommend the hosting nations to have big hills such as the Pennines (GB) Appennies (Italy) Alps (France, Germany etc.) Pyrenees (Spain) and so on for all the other hilly nations (Nepalese could be favourites).

Aerodynamics will be key!

I had a similar thought after watching the last round of the DTM at Munichs Olympics stadium.

Why don't F1 host a none championship event, no points just a day of fun and no stupid engine or gearbox rules. He's my thoughts.

A teams race:

You have 20 laps, Each driver has their own cars but 1 driver does the first 10 laps and pits at the end of lap ten. Whilst his team-mate enters the race from the pits at the start of lap 11.

Also have another 20 lap race for an individual race and insist that the drivers must change at least two tyres throughout the race.

The IOC, I believe. We'd need to have Scottish independence for that to happen in the Olympics.
Having said that, its all hypothetical anyway so why not?
Can if we like, sort of changes the goalposts though.

Not really, doesn't change the goalposts, it's all above board.
If you read the Olympic guff it does mention that the IOC recognizes any territory with an NOC so, for example, China has both China as an Olympic "country" and HongKong as a separate Olympic "country" even though Hongkong is, now, just a county in China like Kent is in Britain.
It is absolutely not necessary for Scotland to be independent from Great Britain for it to be recognized by the IOC as a separate Olympic "country".
All it takes is for the Scots to secede from the BOA and all other GB or UK sporting governance and duplicate it for themselves, then they can march into wherever for whatever competition under the saltire.

There are many more "countries" competing in the Olympics (205) than there are sovereign nations (if I remember rightly it's about 180 on the UN list if you include nonsense like Vatican City as a "sovereign nation")

Fari enough, still 205 Olympic nations vs. 196 sovereign nations then !

Oh yes, and if we're playing the pedantry game, there's a 206th group "Independent Olympic Athletes" comprising Netherlands Antilles and South Sudan athletes, the former having been dissolved and the latter being only a month old and not having set up an NOC yet.:p

the_roadie - The changing the goalposts comment was about the inclusion of dead/retired drivers, but I was simply saying, more accurately, the Scottish Olympic Committee needs to gain independence from the British Olympic Committee for that to occur.

As one Palestinian pointed out, their country is in the IOC but not the UN "because the US hasn't got a :censored: veto in the IOC", and this is the same reason the ROC ("Chinese Taipei" my arse) is in the IOC and not the UN with regard to China instead.

This is meant for TBY's: Can't we have dead people and ex-independent countries? Just for laff's?:thinking:

I think I'll pick the teams - since it is an all time table, qualification is at least one win for a nation in F1 history. We'd have to have two groups, but whatever. Countries in order of most wins, drivers my preference:

GBR: 1. Jackie Stewart, 2: Jim Clark (ENG: Moss, Hamilton)
GER: 3. Michael Schumacher, 4: Sebastian Vettel
BRZ: 5. Nelson Piquet 6: Ayrton Senna*
FRA: 7. Alain Prost 8: Jacques Laffite
FIN: 9. Mika Hakkinen 10: Kimi Raikkonen
ITA: 11. Alberto Ascari 12: Elio de Angelis
AUT: 14. Niki Lauda 15: Jochen Rindt
ARG: 16. Juan Manuel Fangio 17. Carlos Reutemann
AUS: 18. Jack Brabham 19. Alan Jones
USA: 20. Mario Andretti 21. Dan Gurney
ESP: 22. Fernando Alonso 23. Jaime Alguersuari
NZL**: 24. Denny Hulme 25: Bruce McLaren
CAN**: 26. Jacques Villeneuve 27: Gilles Villeneuve
SWE: 28: Ronnie Peterson 29: Gunnar Nilsson
BEL: 30: Jacky Ickx 31: Thierry Boutsen
RSA: 32. Jody Scheckter 33:Tony Maggs
SUI: 34. Clay Reggazoni 35. Jo Siffert
COL: 36. Juan Pablo Montoya 37. Roberto Guerrero
MEX: 38. Pedro Rodriguez 39. Sergio Perez
POL: 40. Robert Kubica (ONE CAR ENTRY)
VEN: 41. Pastor Maldonado 42. Johnny Cecotto

*Loves his even numbers!
**Switched order for obvious and semantic reasons!

Back
Top Bottom