First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Campos Racing

Having run cars in lower formulae former F1 driver Adrian Campos secured one of the 3 places for new teams in F1 for 2010. He commissioned Dallara to build a chassis and signed a deal to use Cosworth engines and Xtrac gearboxes. They also announced that Bruno Senna, nephew of Ayrton, would drive for them.

Struggling for funds, especially to pay for the Dallara Chassis, Campos was bought out by major shareholder in Campos Racing Jose Ramon Carabante and the team renamed Hispania Racing Team

HRT

The team’s financial problems meant they were unable to take part in any pre-season testing and arrived at the first race with Karun Chandhok partnering Senna in completely untried cars. Unsurprisingly both cars were somewhat off the pace and retired early on. By Malaysia reliability had improved, if not speed, and both cars finished.

Continuing financial problems meant both Senna and Chandhok were substituted for Sakon Yamamoto, at various races and at the end of the season Christian Klien was drafted in to try and move the team further up the grid. Despite their poor pace the team finished 11th out of 12 in the Constructors Championship on count back of minor placing’s.

Financial problems continue to dog the team into 2011 and they again missed pre-season testing as the new F111 car wasn’t built in time. Jordan driver from 2005 Narain Karthikeyan is partnered by Force India refugee Vitantonio Liuzzi and the team continue with Cosworth engines.

This is getting off topic but the criteria for being accepted under Mosley's tenure was to agree to use Cosworth engines and operate under a budget cap.

Viability and longevity didn't enter into it.

scaled.php
HRT motorhome

At this moment in time, that would do a lap quicker than their F1 car.

Three years in F1 and they still can't build a car in time...:rolleyes:

Easier said than done when you have several problems, they are effectively a new team this year.

They make themselves into a new team every year, they don't get my sympathy for that.

They do from me. :)

Last year they didn't have an excuse as much as this time though, compare them to Minardi, they aren't doing too bad.

The two employed drivers on the other hand... I won't be able to sympathise with them if they don't qualify for some races this year.

According to Autosport, HRT wasn't able to make the final pre-season test due to the car not being ready, although it DID pass the crash testing. I find myself wondering if the crashed car was the only new car they have!

Cut to HRT headquarters, a lorry driving round Spain looking for a new location:

Luis Perez-Sala: Fantastic news, the car has passed the crash test
Jean-Claude Martens: Yes, it is fantastic isn't it.

The lorry hits a bump just as they toast glasses of Sangria spilling most of the contents on the floor.

LPS: So, off to Barcelona for the test then.
JCM: Errm...
LPS: Why the reticence in your reply?
JCM: Well, you see, the FIA won't let us have the chassis back and it was the only one we have. We promised to stick all the bits back together very carefully but they say we must build a new one.
LPS: Bollocks
JCM: By the way, did you not see the humour in our new sponsor?
LPS: What?
JCM: A Spanish team sponsored by a company which makes degreasers...
LPS: I fail to see the humour.
JCM: Hmmm
LPS: Paella sandwich?
JCM: Not again...

HRT were of course refused permission to race at Melbourne last year after failing to be within 107% of the fastest Q1 qualifying time.
I see no reason why the stewards would make an exception this year if the same was to happen again.

Although later in the season there were quite a few more DNQ's, which were allowed to race: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/2011-results/

Realistically they'd need to demonstrate they were within 107% pace in one or more of the free practice sessions.

Assuming the cars are there by Friday, that is. And complete. And legal.

Another great start to the season for HRT.

With the lack of running, I can't see them improving by the next race and it could be a downward spiral from there as the rest of the teams improve.

Another great start to the season for HRT.

With the lack of running, I can't see them improving by the next race and it could be a downward spiral from there as the rest of the teams improve.

That was said last year as well but they still beat Marussia and ended the season faster than them - and they didn't have mid season(ish) testing then too. Not a great start though is it?

Latest I've read from Karthikeyan is that they have a "humungous" overheating hydraulics problem that robs them of power steering, which will only get worse in the greater heat in Malaysia and they aren't "bullshitting" themselves about, among other things, their [now slim] chances of making it onto the grid in Malaysia

Hmm, I think in the medium term they should be ok. The ban on EBD seems to have slowed the quickest cars by around 1s/lap, since HRT never had one of those last year they shouldn't lose anything. If they brought out last year's car and put an appopriately low nose on it, I think it should still manage 107%, just about. Depending on any revisions to crash tests and other regulation changes I've forgotten, of course.

Back
Top Bottom