How Is It Going?

Alright, first thing's first.

I agree with Galahad in that I am glad the importance of Saturday has diminished and that Sunday is the more important, as it should be in my opinion. However I do enjoy qualifying, especially when it's close and hard fought. By and large last year was very good in that regard, especially as cars would go absolutely flat out with no regard for Sunday, again, as I think it should be. I think there needs to be a rethink of the Saturday tyre allocation, I would like to see one set of qualifying tyres brought to each driver to enable the absolute peak of Formula 1 performance. I don't know how hard it would be to create a tyre that regains some of it's "life" once it's cooled ; I believe the Bridgestones were quite strange in that they grained early on but after a period of cooling they would regain grip and lose the graining. If we could create a tyre that lasted, say, maximum of 4 all-out-attack laps, then I would like to see that. From my seat at home I'd like a bigger difference between qualifying and the race, treat them as two different entities and make them less connected as they currently are. By introducing the qualifying tyres we could get rid of the 'top 10 start on the tyre they set their best time on' rule. I don't want to see someone looking after their tyres in qualifying. Tyre conservation and qualifying are two phrases that should go nowhere near each other.

By and large I think the rules have been a "success", but it depends by which measurement you regard success. Has it improved the spectacle? Yes, but to my eyes, only in a superficial way. A casual viewer would surely enjoy the 3 dry races more than last year's random selection of dry races. But how long before that casual viewer cottons on that those fancy rear wings are only available to the guy behind? How long before he realises that most of the overtaking he is seeing is not even being fought by the "defending" driver and are largely due to someone having disproportionately more grip than another? Would the casual viewer accept a football match in which a team has scored and then the other team are awarded a penalty because they are losing? In effect, a chance to "rebalance" the competition?

I was more than willing to give the DRS a chance before the season began but having seen it in action for 3 races, at 3 circuits that are actually quite nicely different from each other, I can generally say I am not in favour of it. It is not that it is "artificial" but that it is quite simply unfair and outside what I would consider the proper standards of sporting competition. Turbo boosts and KERS are both "artificial", yet they both carried negative traits. You'd use extra fuel by boosting, and KERS, at least in 2009, had weight balance and CoG issues that quite clearly hindered the performance of some cars at some circuits. At least in 2011, KERS has some semblance of strategic thinking. DRS, on the other hand, has absolutely no negative traits. It is categorically and wholly unfair. The argument that "it allows a faster driver to get in front" is silly and irrelevant - what crime has a slower driver acted out to warrant such a disadvantage? DRS would've allowed Fernando Alonso to get past Vitaly Petrov in Abu Dhabi last year, that's what I see people say. So what? Alonso shouldn't have been there in the first place. Tough, get on with it and make a pass if you really are faster.

Of course the current aero regs are less than desirable for overtaking but they are what they are, it doesn't - and shouldn't - mean that you need to introduce unfair advantages to certain drivers. When I saw Lewis Hamilton cruise up to the back of Sebastian Vettel it was not a matter of if he would pass him, but when. Is that really the kind of racing we want to see? You could've put your house on him passing him at some point, and what do you know, he did. Unlike most of the dispirited defending we saw in China, Vettel briefly put up a fight, and for me that was the only saving grace of their "battle". Lead changes like we saw in Shanghai may make for superb highlights fodder during the 6 o'clock news but they do not make a race fulfilling - you only have to look at NASCAR's many lead changes to see how it isn't the be all and end all.

I will accept the suggestion that over the course of the season, tyre strategies will converge and there will be more circuits that don't have a ridiculous DRS area to use - even if I don't approve it's use at all, it's existence in a smaller, less noticeable form would be better than a large zone designed to create easy passes. Once tyre strategies become more normalised I may end up being slightly happier, as there will be less of the 'signed, sealed, delivered' overtaking we saw from Lewis in China, and less chance of drivers being on radically different compounds at different stages, although the bane of the DRS will haunt me for the year round, I fear.

I don't want to turn this into an argument, first of all, because in large part I agree with many of the critical points already raised.

What I would only say is this:

- I don't want to see 'free passes' given to the car behind, however I don't think that's what we have seen with DRS thus far. Shanghai probably was too close to that for comfort, but actually what we saw, in my view, was a failure to defend in large part from the cars in front. Vettel put up a spirited and creative defence of his position and put some of the others to shame in that respect.

- The driver behind earns the right to activate DRS by closing up on the car in front to the required 1 second. It's fair insomuch as everybody has the potential to use it, if needed, and with the divergent pit strategies I would suggest it is likely that even the front runners will have cause to use it reasonably often this year. But if you can't keep up with the guy ahead, it's no use to you. From my perspective, it is what it should be - a helping hand to counteract the artificial (unfair?) advantage the leading car has due to the aerodynamic sensitivities of F1 cars.

I also think that the DRS zones in all three circuits have shown that there is scope for the defender if he's good enough.

As I've noted before, the interesting thing about Lewis' passes in China is that none of them came at turn 14.

Sorry to hammer this point home, but I don't think it can be overstated.

If a car/driver combo is legitimately faster than the one chasing him, they will not come under any threat from the DRS. They should clear the 1 second gap and they will not artificially lose a position.

If a car/driver combo is legitimately holding up the car that is chasing him, they will be under attack. Is this unfair? Whether the driver in front sees a scrap for position with a DRS-enabled car as a "Blue Flag" situation, is up to them. You can be sure that Schumacher did not take this view. He was able to hold off the DRS-equipped Ferrari for at least 5 laps. Fernando had to resort to a beautiful up-and-under move to get by.

The day that passing somebody at nearly 200 MPH in an open-wheeled, open cockpit vehicle while negotiating your way through a mine-field of marbles and debris can be universally considered "easy", is the day that motorsport will cease to be enticing to Drivers/Fans/Advertisers/Media Outlets etc... Does anybody seriously consider that to be the case in F1 today.

- I don't want to see 'free passes' given to the car behind, however I don't think that's what we have seen with DRS thus far. Shanghai probably was too close to that for comfort, but actually what we saw, in my view, was a failure to defend in large part from the cars in front. Vettel put up a spirited and creative defence of his position and put some of the others to shame in that respect.

No, perhaps you are right, we have not seen as many 'free passes' as some would fear, and at least, I am happy to some extent with that current situation, if we are to be weighed down with the DRS. However there have been several cases where there should be enough cause for concern, there were a couple of passes that were in the end simple, and a few others where drivers have plain sailed past them before the braking point, so much so that they were in fact able to take back the racing line.

Shouldn't that worry us? Why aren't drivers defending positions? Is it because they are unaware to just how much of an advantage the DRS gives? Or do they not bother because they know it is a lost cause? Or because they feel it's better for strategic reasons? I want to see people defend, and in China particularly, we saw very, very, very little of that.

- The driver behind earns the right to activate DRS by closing up on the car in front to the required 1 second. It's fair insomuch as everybody has the potential to use it, if needed, and with the divergent pit strategies I would suggest it is likely that even the front runners will have cause to use it reasonably often this year. But if you can't keep up with the guy ahead, it's no use to you. From my perspective, it is what it should be - a helping hand to counteract the artificial (unfair?) advantage the leading car has due to the aerodynamic sensitivities of F1 cars.
That is the major fault of modern F1 cars, though. The DRS is not solving the root cause of the problem. It is creating overtaking that requires a great less amount of skill. Is the skill now simply to get up to the 1 second zone?

I can accept that the DRS has a function in that it can help undo the unfair disadvantage to a following driver from turbulent air. It's application and it's regulation are still not comfortable with me, though. Perhaps my biggest problem is that it is solely focussed on one zone - leading to a very unfair advantage in one particular sector.

I also think that the 3 big rule changes have left us in confusion as to which is working and which is truly providing us with more overtaking. I said before how I felt most of the passing was not thrilling, as a result of two drivers being on wildly different tyres at different stages. In addition, the removal of the DDDs have also cast some doubt on how well the cars can really follow each other this year, but by the token of the DRS, we may assume it has had some effect, as it would appear more cars are in that 1s zone - although again, this picture is muddied by the tyres.

less of the 'signed, sealed, delivered' overtaking we saw from Lewis in China

I hate to pick out this small bit from a very well-written post Enja, but you should probably find a new poster boy for the "easy" passing we saw in China.

Not only did Hamilton pass Alonso (Turn 6), Button (Turn 1), Rosberg (Turn 6), Massa (Turn 16), and Vettel (Turn 7) outside of the DRS zone, they were for the first five places in the race. Button and Vettel were clearly surprised to see Lewis alongside when they went to turn in. I don't think any of these guys would say they made it easy for Hamilton.

The only problem I have is the extended layoff following an incredible race like China! Can't Brands put on a Race of Champions this weekend or something. :)

Totally with you on this! Where are the International Trophy and Oulton Gold Cup when you need them... not a fan of the 3 week gap. An optional F1 race with a nice big purse attached might be a very interesting prospect as a filler.

As for this season, I've been impressed by the DRS so far, especially in quali as it seems to favour the brave and skillful who can use it that little bit earlier and little bit later than the "mere" mortal pilots. It has, as I had hoped, just acted to erode that aero penalty that following cars suffer for being in dirty air, and I haven't spotted too many occasions where it has created a passing opportunity for a slower car. As for it being "artificial", certainly no more artificial than sticking big wings on a car. So we have one act of artifice to counter another, so what.

The big disappointment for me so far are the tyres. Not that they are degrading so fast, that seems to be spicing things up, but more that they are degrading in a very non-linear fashion and leaving hunks of rubber all over the place as they do. I hope that Pirelli put some time into smoothing out that degradation curve and making the marbles smaller in the next part of the season.

Other than that, pretty satisfied!

I hate to pick out this small bit from a very well-written post Enja, but you should probably find a new poster boy for the "easy" passing we saw in China.

Not only did Hamilton pass Alonso (Turn 6), Button (Turn 1), Rosberg (Turn 6), Massa (Turn 16), and Vettel (Turn 7) outside of the DRS zone, they were for the first five places in the race. Button and Vettel were clearly surprised to see Lewis alongside when they went to turn in. I don't think any of these guys would say they made it easy for Hamilton.
They didn't make it easy, but the tyres did make it a formality - perhaps with the exception of the pass on Button, and I can't honestly remember at what stages their tyre strategies were at. Nor can I remember the pass on Alonso, but the passes on Rosberg, Massa and Vettel were all a formality. Rosberg was saving fuel (and on old tyres?); Massa and Vettel were on radically more worn tyres.

No, perhaps you are right, we have not seen as many 'free passes' as some would fear, and at least, I am happy to some extent with that current situation, if we are to be weighed down with the DRS. However there have been several cases where there should be enough cause for concern, there were a couple of passes that were in the end simple, and a few others where drivers have plain sailed past them before the braking point, so much so that they were in fact able to take back the racing line.

Shouldn't that worry us? Why aren't drivers defending positions? Is it because they are unaware to just how much of an advantage the DRS gives? Or do they not bother because they know it is a lost cause? Or because they feel it's better for strategic reasons? I want to see people defend, and in China particularly, we saw very, very, very little of that.

I haven't seen any easy passes where the following driver wasn't significantly faster than the car in front, not a one. Most of the easier passes were where a car with failing tyres simply didn't have anything left to defend with, or in Rosberg's case was running such a lean fuel mix that I'd be surprised if his engine had enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding (as my Nan might have put it). In fact I have seen some pretty impressive pieces of defending (looking at you Felipe, welcome back to the world of the living!) and some drivers have clearly worked out the system better than others at the moment. We certainly haven't seen a case where a driver was catching a car by only 0.05-0.10s per lap and then breezed past with ease. On the other hand, where a driver has been catching by 1-2s a lap they have found it easier, but then they were much faster anyway.

Your earlier post confused me a bit. On the one hand you complain that the aero configuration makes it hard for a driver to pass. Your solution to this is for the drivers to man up and get on with it. On the other hand you complain that a system designed to reduce this aero disadvantage is artificial. Your solution for this is that it should be done away with. If you had put Alonso and Petrov in a Ferrari 1512 and a Lotus 25, respectively, at Abu Dhabi Alonso would have been past in a corner or two. Why is a faster car being held up by the inverted aeroplane in front of it not artificial, while the DRS is? In fact both of them are, and as one reduces the impact of the other I can live with that. The reality is that wings aren't going away. If you did that then F1 would rapidly become one of the slowest forms of motorsport out there and that just isn't tenable on any level.

Worn tires or not, I can tell you that from my living room, Lewis getting by Seb without incident was anything but a formality in my eyes.

Look guys, it seems you see me as a moaner - I am not. I enjoyed the races, but those have been my concerns ever since Malaysia. It is indeed too early to really know one way or the other, and I think you guys have some good points on where I am wrong. I am still happy to watch F1 and enjoy the races, I just think they need some tweaking and as I said before, the tyre strategies converging at some point later in the year will be something I can look forward to, when we can get a more accurate gauge on what is working and what is not. Maybe I am completely wrong, maybe you are.

Your earlier post confused me a bit. On the one hand you complain that the aero configuration makes it hard for a driver to pass. Your solution to this is for the drivers to man up and get on with it. On the other hand you complain that a system designed to reduce this aero disadvantage is artificial. Your solution for this is that it should be done away with. If you had put Alonso and Petrov in a Ferrari 1512 and a Lotus 25, respectively, at Abu Dhabi Alonso would have been past in a corner or two. Why is a faster car being held up by the inverted aeroplane in front of it not artificial, while the DRS is? In fact both of them are, and as one reduces the impact of the other I can live with that. The reality is that wings aren't going away. If you did that then F1 would rapidly become one of the slowest forms of motorsport out there and that just isn't tenable on any level.

I will point you to :

I can accept that the DRS has a function in that it can help undo the unfair disadvantage to a following driver from turbulent air. It's application and it's regulation are still not comfortable with me, though. Perhaps my biggest problem is that it is solely focussed on one zone - leading to a very unfair advantage in one particular sector.

I accepted the point that DRS can overcome the unfair disadvantage - fine. What I particularly don't like is it's application, i.e, a one-use system down the biggest straight there is on a circuit. Perhaps a multiple use system where it is designed to keep the cars closer and more accurately in tandem to their genuine pace would suit me better.

Chad Stewarthill said:
Or Rosberg, come to that.

You are completely correct, my mistake. They were on similar strategies.

KekeTheKing said:
Worn tires or not, I can tell you that from my living room, Lewis getting by Seb without incident was anything but a formality in my eyes.

How was it not? On lap 44/45, Hamilton overtook Massa and was still quicker than Vettel, on lap 46, Hamilton was 4s behind Vettel, he was almost 1s quicker than him on that lap. On lap 47, he was 0.4s faster, on lap 48, he was 1.3s faster, lap 49, 0.7s faster, lap 50, 0.5s faster, and already within the DRS zone and stayed right on his gearbox until lap 52 when, surprise surprise, he overtook Vettel.

Anyone paying attention to the timing screens would've seen that Hamilton was cruising up to the back of Vettel, and yes, yes it was a formality, save for the brief moments where Vettel defended in the DRS zone.

on lap 46, Hamilton was 4s behind Vettel, he was almost 1s quicker than him on that lap. On lap 47, he was 0.4s faster, on lap 48, he was 1.3s faster, lap 49, 0.7s faster, lap 50, 0.5s faster, and already within the DRS zone and stayed right on his gearbox until lap 52 when, surprise surprise, he overtook Vettel.

So Hamilton took three laps to pass Vettel despite being over a second a lap faster than him in clear air, and that's a formality? Seb was on significantly more worn tyres and yet he made a very decent fist of keeping Lewis behind him.

As for the clause you point out I'm sorry that I appear to have missed it. However, keeping the DRS to one zone is supposed to limit the overall lap time advantage, and keeps that advantage tweakable such that it doesn't become a simple push-to-pass mechanism. You have to work pretty hard for the rest of the lap to be in the 1s zone, if you make the DRS available to both chasing and leading car then what's the point, and if you allow the following car to use it as and when they please then the advantage would be too great,

How was it not? On lap 44/45, Hamilton overtook Massa and was still quicker than Vettel, on lap 46, Hamilton was 4s behind Vettel, he was almost 1s quicker than him on that lap. On lap 47, he was 0.4s faster, on lap 48, he was 1.3s faster, lap 49, 0.7s faster, lap 50, 0.5s faster, and already within the DRS zone and stayed right on his gearbox until lap 52 when, surprise surprise, he overtook Vettel.

... at turn 7. That is about as far away from the DRS zone as it is possible to get at Shanghai. I refer you to the last stint of the 2008 German Grand Prix, when there was no DRS, for something similar.

Look guys, it seems you see me as a moaner.

I don't, and for the record, would hate to think that you couldn't speak your mind on this site. Whenever I disagree with anyone, it's never personal. I'm sure on CTA alternative viewpoints will continue to be respected and we won't descend to the levels of bickering and bitterness that you see on other sites.

P.S. Brogan - you are a moaner. :D

After reading through all these posts all I can ask is what do you all want?

If somebody had told you last year a car qualifying third, nearly a second off pole, would be off the podium after the last set of pitstops but would win without anybody falling off infront of him under 2011 rules you'd be looking forward to 2011 like a kid waiting for christmas! The facts are these regs have given us exactly what we wanted and all we can do is pick them apart? China was like the blueprint of a what a classic race looks like and all we do is complain? I just don't get it, sorry.

... at turn 7. That is about as far away from the DRS zone as it is possible to get at Shanghai. I refer you to the last stint of the 2008 German Grand Prix, when there was no DRS, for something similar.
And what was it that allowed him to pass at turn 7? Do you know?

Was it the tyres? The DRS keeping him closer? Did he use KERS out of turn 6? Do we know anywhere?

Pyrope said:
if you make the DRS available to both chasing and leading car then what's the point, and if you allow the following car to use it as and when they please then the advantage would be too great,

I'm not advocating either of those ideas.

After reading through all these posts all I can ask is what do you all want?

If somebody had told you last year a car qualifying third, nearly a second off pole, would be off the podium after the last set of pitstops but would win without anybody falling off infront of him under 2011 rules you'd be looking forward to 2011 like a kid waiting for christmas! The facts are these regs have given us exactly what we wanted and all we can do is pick them apart? China was like the blueprint of a what a classic race looks like and all we do is complain? I just don't get it, sorry.
I am not complaining, I am raising certain issues I have with the way things are currently regulated, and my own personal confusion I believe reflects the confusion of the early races, a factor which as I have already stated, will become less relevant as teams and drivers accomplish a better 'handle' on the current regulations, which I believe will be more interesting to me.

On the whole I have approved of these regulation changes and would sooner see a race like China or Malaysia than some of the below-par races we saw last year.

I just think they need ironing out a little, that's all.

I'm not advocating either of those ideas.

Your complaint was that the advantage is focused in one zone and those are the two logical alternatives to that fact. If you have a third idea about how to modulate the DRS usage then let's have it!

Back
Top Bottom