Future F1 Grands Prix

BEcclestone (new name for him) suggests thet F1 'will not be big in the USA', and that South Africa could host a Grand Prix in 2013. And he practically confirmed Russia for 2014, and he says that F1 will go to Bahrain 'if they are invited', implying that not everything is settled there.

More and more races seem to be added to the calendar, but the question is: which ones will have to go?

BEcclestone (new name for him) suggests thet F1 'will not be big in the USA'
... and as much as it galls me I think he's probably right. While America loves sport, generally speaking it prefers the home-grown variety. There'll be interest in the GPs, without a doubt, but considering the numerous major motorsport brands already in the US market it won't be as big a deal as it is, say, in Europe.

According to Autosport, at the Argie's new circuit in Zarate, which is going to be built very soon, want to host F1 by 2014, with Argentina hosting motogp at a different circuit in 2013

..... it won't be as big a deal as it is, say, in Europe.

If you look at the population sizes overall Europe has just over 502 million whilst the USA has just over 311 million. But if you look at the individual countries Germany is the largest in Europe with nearly 82 million, France is 65 million whilst Britain comes in just below at 62 million.

So in terms of population size the USA is 5 times the UK size. So if the USA only get one fifth of the UK fans in percentage terms it is still the same number. I haven't looked it up in terms of spending power but feel that the USA must be larger than each of the European countries. So it is well worth going for it if money is your major concern e.g. BEcclstone.

... and as much as it galls me I think he's probably right. While America loves sport, generally speaking it prefers the home-grown variety. There'll be interest in the GPs, without a doubt, but considering the numerous major motorsport brands already in the US market it won't be as big a deal as it is, say, in Europe.

F1 never in the U.S. will be as popular or big as in Europe, but fan participation and interest in the sport here, surely outnumber those which have been seen at venues like Korea, Turkey and Bahrain. Interest in the sport I believe has increased in the U.S., because last season SPEED has started to live stream without commentary practice #1, which has turned out to be very popular among many fans, even though people like myself have got to get up at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning to watch. NASCAR is the most popular form of motorsport here in the U.S., but F1 has strong support amongst it's die hard fan base, and could increase significantly in the general public, with the participation of a competent american driver.

F1 never in the U.S. will be as popular or big as in Europe, but fan participation and interest in the sport here, surely outnumber those which have been seen at venues like Korea, Turkey and Bahrain. Interest in the sport I believe has increased in the U.S., because last season SPEED has started to live stream without commentary practice #1, which has turned out to be very popular among many fans, even though people like myself have got to get up at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning to watch. NASCAR is the most popular form of motorsport here in the U.S., but F1 has strong support amongst it's die hard fan base, and could increase significantly in the general public, with the participation of a competent american driver.
I live about an hour from Daytona, so largely all I see here is polite disinterest in F1. I'm glad you're seeing something different.

What I love is: "Americans want to see a profit now" from BEcclestone. Is that opposed to the vague promises of bonuses to the economy that never ever arrive like the people of China, Turkey, Korea, Australia, Malaysia, PR Briatore etc. accept?

TBY,
I really enjoyed his comment about "wanting to make money" as well. And they probably COULD if Bernie didn't saddle all of the organizers with such HUGE sanctioning fees. And why are those fees so huge--so Bernie can make money!! Bernie seems to think all of the races should be run as a charitable endeavor, with HIM being the charity everyone is donating to. Soon, only the government-financed races will contiue to exist.

I just hope that the race doesn't replace or alternate with Belgium. Alternating with Valencia or Catalunya will be a much better idea.

Well with Sergio Perez in F1 already and potentially Estban Guttierez getting into F1 in the future. A GP at Mexico would be fantastic and i'd love to see one from Mexico whether it be an open track in the middle of nowhere or a street circuit it really doesn't matter.

So it seems that Mexico and Argentina could be potentially added, along with France and, at a push, South Africa.
In addition to New Jersey next year and Russia in 2014.

Back
Top Bottom