Formula One returns to the US

If this were just about finding somewhere to go racing in the US then there are some superb tracks over there that could host a race at the drop of a hat.

What a Tilke designed circuit actually means nowadays is a multi billion pound complex with a track as an after thought and you only have to look at Abu Dhabi for living proof of that.

The trouble with these "Bernieplexes" is they are totally over the top for anything other than 1 GP weekend a year which means the poor suckers who own the tracks and the governments and sponsors that plough millions of pounds of support into them have no way of getting their money back.

Bernie's priority for a US GP is a) to make his usual fortune in hosting fee's and b) to ensure that the prawn sandwiches belonging to the great and the good don't curl up at the ends. If it was about show casing the pinicle of motorsport in North America he'd return to an existing track and crack on with it. That's something he could have done at any time in the last few years.

Texan GP will be unique...

.. By taking bits of other tracks and replicating them!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85287

"I would say that, hopefully, people will view it as a throwback to some of the older, traditional tracks - although obviously with the added safety features and requirements that the FIA has," Hellmund told AUTOSPORT during a visit to the British Grand Prix.

"It will be a track that the drivers will walk through and think: 'Man, I have to be on my best game today!'"

"It is going to have a really fast section, which will have some pretty challenging corners," he said. "I am partial to a couple of sections that I've seen at Silverstone, so you could see those turn up too."

Well, on the one hand, this is great, I really look forward to a track with elevation changes, fast corners and the idea of it being a "throwback". On the other, I can see that taking bits of other's tracks could be disastrously bad.

Re: Texan GP will be unique...

Theoretically it shouldn't be that hard to laser map 4 or 5 sections of track that have high instances of overtaking and replicate them fairly accurately. I'm baffled as to why this hasn't been done before in fact.

Re: Texan GP will be unique...

Bullfrog said:
I'm baffled as to why this hasn't been done before in fact.
Oh but it has: http://cliptheapex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=886

Well, apart from the lasering bit.
Oh and the high instances of overtaking sections...

Back on topic, I'm really looking forward to see what they do with this circuit and can't wait for F1 to be back in the US.
No Michelin tyres this time so there shouldn't be any major problems :whistle:

I like what I've read, both the part about 100 feet of elevation change and the part about replicating some of the great corners. He mentioned Silverstone as a favorite, so hopefully we'll get another Maggotts/Becketts/Chapel combination!? And maybe a second Eau Rouge? And/or another Corkscrew!?? I can hope!

100 feet of elevation change eh?

We might even see some of this going on :D

brabham.jpg

Back
Top Bottom