Current For FOTA's sake

Entirely expected, based on comments both teams have made recently.

There are some suggestions that Red Bull haven't been sticking to the RRA anyway, so this just gives them free reign now.

It was doomed from the start though really, just like every other team association has been.

Bernie will be pleased, once again it will give him even more of an upper hand when it comes to re-negotiating contracts.

To me, FOTA has seemed about as dysfunctional as Congress in this country. Far too many HUGE egos involved for there ever to have been much chance for meaningful agreements. I doubt any of the big 3 teams would ever adhere to the restrictions of the RRA anyway, and accusations of cheating on the agreement would abound.

If the RRA abandoned that could mean the return of in season testing which is a voluntary agreement as part of the RRA.
It was endorsed by the FIA could equally well be rescinded from the regulations.
The smaller teams will suffer badly if the RRA is abandoned.

Can't say I'm too displeased. FOTA seems like a good idea, but I don't like the thought of the competitors having too much power. With two of the biggest teams out they should have less influence.

The testing limits are now in the regulations, so it would depend on the FIA rescinding them, and I don't see why they should do so.

As for the RRA, good riddance. It's a pity if it brings FOTA down with it though, it's vital IMO for the teams to be united for the next round of Concorde negotiations, and ideally to have a say in the future ownership situation post-CVC.

Not surprised with Ferrari, and Red Bull have been 'up their own arse' recently. I wonder why they both refused to comment on why they left... Couldn't be that Red Bull havn't been sticking to the RRA and with Ferrari collecting the largest paycheck they know they can outspend the other teams. Props to Mercedes and McLaren for sticking with it when they don't have to. However most of this is speculation...

Ferrari's statement:

Maranello, 2 December – Ferrari has informed FOTA President Martin Whitmarsh that it is leaving the organisation made up of the teams competing in the Formula 1 World Championship.

It was a difficult decision and a great deal of thought went into it. It was taken reluctantly after analysing the current situation and the stalemate when it came to debate on some issues that were at the core of why the association was formed, indeed with Ferrari and Luca di Montezemolo as the main instigator and promoter of ideas. It’s not by chance that the President of the Maranello company held that same position and job title within FOTA up to the end of 2009.

Some of the major achievements of the association during these years, also worked out in conjunction with the FIA, centred around cost reduction, which was of significant benefit to everyone, the big teams and the small ones. Ferrari was on the front line in this area, even before the birth of FOTA and it intends to continue down this route to ensure the sustainability of the sport in the long term. Now however, it is necessary to find some new impetus to move it along because FOTA’s drive has run its course, despite the excellent work of current President, Martin Whitmarsh in trying to reach agreement between the various positions for the common good.

Ferrari will continue to work with the other teams to make the current RRA, Resource Restriction Agreement, aimed at controlling costs, more effective and efficient, modifying it to make it more stringent in key areas such as aerodynamics, to rebalance some aspects such as testing and to expand it to areas currently not covered such as engines.

Formula 1, like the rest of the world in fact, is currently going through a delicate period. Ferrari wants to work with all parties for the future of a sport that expresses the highest level of motor sport technology. We must return to a situation where Formula 1 is really a test bed for advanced technological research, the results of which can be transferred to Granturismo cars. In addition, we must not forget that this sport must become more user friendly and more accessible to the general public and furthermore, it cannot be the only professional sport where it is practically impossible to do any training: the number of days of testing must be increased so that the drivers, especially the young ones who lack experience and the teams, can be adequately prepared, as well as providing more opportunities for them to come into contact with spectators and sponsors.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formula1/News/Headlines/Pages/111202_F1_Ferrari-leaves-FOTA.aspx

So essentially it all comes back to Ferrari's insistence that they can run a third car.

Ferrari's statement:

Formula 1, like the rest of the world in fact, is currently going through a delicate period. Ferrari wants to work with all parties for the future of a sport that expresses the highest level of motor sport technology. We must return to a situation where Formula 1 is really a test bed for advanced technological research, the results of which can be transferred to Granturismo cars. In addition, we must not forget that this sport must become more user friendly and more accessible to the general public and furthermore, it cannot be the only professional sport where it is practically impossible to do any training: the number of days of testing must be increased so that the drivers, especially the young ones who lack experience and the teams, can be adequately prepared, as well as providing more opportunities for them to come into contact with spectators and sponsors.

http://www.ferrari.com/English/Formula1/News/Headlines/Pages/111202_F1_Ferrari-leaves-FOTA.aspx

So essentially it all comes back to Ferrari's insistence that they can run a third car.[/quote]
Exactly that.And more testing as I suggestd

Ferrari's statement:

We must return to a situation where Formula 1 is really a test bed for advanced technological research, the results of which can be transferred to Granturismo cars.

If that was the case then why do Ferrari show so little interest in GT racing. They haven't run a works entry at Le Mans since sometime in the early 70's. Surely if you want to make GT cars better then spend more time running GT cars instead of providing minimal assistance to non-works teams running your cars.

As usual from Ferrari it seems like a lot of smoke and mirrors with the real reasons burried somehwere in among the half truths. I reckon they feel that they no longer need to be in FOTA rather than any single issue.

Interesting comment from James Allen, which I was not aware of:
There is a lack of trust within FOTA which has spurred this decision, but it’s important to remember that the RRA is a legally binding agreement which runs to 2017, so it is not as if Ferrari and Red Bull will be able to spend £100 million a year more.

So is this Ferrari just positioning themselves again to cut another selfish deal with Bernie?

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/12/fota-reeling-as-ferrari-and-red-bull-pull-out/

I'm actually fairly stunned by this news and am surprised how little coverage it seems to be getting! The implications are potentially pretty large for the sport, though I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, particularly as I believe F1 should be the pinnacle of motorsport and I think resource restrictions were a fairly negative way of attempting to gain equality. It could well be an interesting winter...

FOTA was set up to prevent MM forcing his proposals onto the teams (standard chassis, engine, gearbox et al). Now that he has gone the number one reason for it's existence is over so they will go back to their squabbles. However, it does seem that the resource restriction stands , which I for one would like to see go. What I would like to see is a ruling that once a team spent over a certain amount od money it would have to donated an extra amount , say a third of the value, to be shared between the other teams.

Inequality whilst subsidising the poorer teams.

A few interesting comments on this today from here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96662
One team principal, whose outfit remains a member of FOTA, said that the removal of Red Bull Racing and Ferrari could actually provide some benefits to the organisation - in allowing it to get things done.

As the RRA is legally binding until 2017, it's difficult to understand exactly what benefit Red Bull and Ferrari gain from leaving FOTA.

Back
Top Bottom