Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

With the significant changes in Ferrari management ... and what could be perceived as the team having gone slowly backwards from 2010 to 2014 ... it is not a surprise ... for mine, it is a good thing ... shake tree ... see what falls out of the other branches ...

It might just be that JB was spot on ... that Honda needs an experienced driver to help develop the new package ... :thinking:

If Alonso goes to McLaren, it will almost certainly be Button out. They must realise that they have cost themselves potential titles in recent seasons by sticking two world champs together. They need a number 1 driver and a second fiddle, and Jenson will not play, or be expected to play, second fiddle.

With regards to Red Bull - who thinks Alonso would see Danny as more of a threat than Vettel? There are also some reports that Ferrari have eyed up Ricciardo.

My friend just sent me a picture of him in a caravan at a kart meet from when they were younger. I think he is about 8 or 9 years old. He is pulling a very funny face. Maybe I'll post it on the Jenson thread if he will give me permission.

I have to say that I am still not sold on Alonso's abilities as a developmental driver. His racecraft cannot be questioned, but Ferrari have been on a downward trend for most of his tenure. I also cannot honestly say that I have seen evidence of his skills at development at any of his other teams either. Contrasting that to Schumacher, who improved Benetton beyond all recognition, and did likewise at Ferrari, both through his own skills and the talent that his presence attracted to teams.

Schumacher had the benefit of (virtually) unlimited testing though, is there a single driver on the grid who you can say without doubt has been a key factor in the development of their car? You can quite easily point to drivers who extract everything out of the car given to them and lift the team they're in as a result - Alonso has dragged his Ferrari to well above where it belongs, and the change in fortunes experienced by McLaren and Mercedes after Hamilton moved (even before this year) is pretty spectacular - but identifying a "development driver" as a fan with no information about the inner workings of the teams, along with the heavily restricted testing rules, is very difficult/impossible I think.

Here's a bit of a curve ball.

Would Alonso leave Ferrari without a definite seat elsewhere. He seems to have burned his bridges with the prancing horse, if McLaren decide they want to keep Button & Magnussen and if Red Bull refuse to change their line up then Alonso could be left with either a ride in Force India or Lotus or possibly no race seat at all.

Here's a bit of a curve ball.

Would Alonso leave Ferrari without a definite seat elsewhere. He seems to have burned his bridges with the prancing horse.
I would suggest it's not a case of Alonso burning his bridges with the prancing horse, more a case of Ferrari burning their bridges with Alonso. He's been their greatest asset since he joined Ferrari and has been incredibly patient waiting for them to put a half decent car under him. The time has come for him to think of himself and his aim for more titles.

It's now obvious he will be at McLaren in 2015. Ron Dennis has said he would love to have Alonso in 2015 and Honda have said they will put up the 30 million euro's to buy him out of his Ferrari contract. You can be sure they will also provide McLaren with a winning power plant. History confirms McLaren also know how to build a winning chassis.

I'm still frankly staggered at the possibility of Alonso going back to McLaren! I have a horrible feeling this is a continuation of some of his rather dubious team moves, but also the thought that McLaren would take him back after 2007 surprises me. Still, goes to show I know naathing.

rufus_mcdufus ....... Ron Dennis and Alonso both want the same, success and titles, Dennis the constructors and Alonso the drivers, and I would suggest they would both love multiples of each. Carrying bitterness from the past won't achieve any of their aims and they're both now able to look back, learn, and realise they both need each other to reach their ultimate goals. I would suggest they're both able to look back and have regrets and also acknowledge they both managed their relationship very badly.
We all formed our opinions based on reports we read in the press, much of which was based on little more than hear-say and rumour, it may be far easier for both of them to put the past behind them than you think, after all they know exactly what happened several years ago, we don't.

Back
Top Bottom