Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

All that being said, the fact remains that, after 3 years, he still has produced zero championships. The Scuderia is running out of excuses. If they don't win at least one of the championships this year, I suspect the team will fall out of love with Alonso as quickly as they fell in. After all, he's not getting any quicker, but IS getting older.
Ironically that's another thing prost-like about Alonso and we all know how it ended ... :-/

siffert_fan

2010 - they blamed Chris Dyer for making a wrong call on the pitstop at Abu dhabi although Silverstone 2010 when he cut the grass comes to mind and got himself a penalty and points

2011 - the car was simply awful full stop - out of date wind tunnel meant they could not get the car right on the track- Aldo Costa was fired and blamed for this

2012 - wind tunnel problems again - they are using the ex Toyota one

But Alonso did not make a mistake or penalty and was taken out of two races which made the difference

Alonso more importantly is still winning races and being on the podiums and he still has the team built around him

Alonso has come out with more credibility at Ferrari then when he joined ... please don;t try and compare it with Schumacher's achievements - he had all the necessary advantages available from testing , team finance, tyres, pit crew and even politically off track

At the moment Luca loves ALonso more than he did Raikkonen for his dedicated approach even when times are bad

All of which may be true, but the fact is, they have won ZERO championships under Alonso and F1 is the ultimate "what have you done for me lately" world. They have also let it be known that they would like to have Vettel on board, and I don't think anybody sees a possibility of Seb coming on while Alonso remains there.

As for MS's era, don't forget that Ferrari basically was stinking up the grid when they hired Schuey, but that wasn't the case when they hired FA.

They now claim that the wind tunnel problems are resolved, so, as I said, they are running out of excuses and the historical fact is that drivers are frequently made the scapegoat for an under-performing team. I would also compare FAs situation at Ferrari more with that of Prost than Kimi.

siffert_fan

You can compare Alonso's path with Prost as in both left Mclaren in a huff being pushed out by seriously competitive teammates
but

the difference is Prost ended his 2nd season disgruntled winless and seeing he was pummeled by Senna on and off track..he never had that embarassment since 1980 !

Alonso has managed to carry on and kept his feelings in house not publicly slate the team like Prost did

Since 1990 only two drivers have been fired

- Prost and Capelli

Ferrari were not back of the grid as you make it out they were - midfield at worst according to Irvine's performance in Schumacher days but they also made more ground because they had unlimited testing on their own track with two test drivers and the favourable tyres made a difference

Schumacher only looked seriously good once Ferrari had the traction control system along with the Bridgestones from 2001-2004

Vettel won;t go Ferrari unless he is offered a kings ransom ie $50m like Kimi was to prize him away from Red Bull

Vettel won't silence critics if he won;t be prepared to face Alonso or Hamilton in the same team

If the presence of Vettel could lure Newey to Ferrari, as the presence of MS did Byrne and Brawn, don't you think they would drop FA in a heartbeat?

Alonso is skipping the first test to focus on his physical fitness... an interesting decision to say the least. It's really not something I would have expected to happen but it's a bit of a non-issue at the end of the day.

Could it be because the new Ferrari is not actually the new Ferrari and just a half arsed construction of some new components and stuff off last years car to make it seem to the outside world they are on schedule with the 2013 car and that Fernando doesn't see what he'd gain from testing it so will wait until the car is ready properly?

Having a think about it, the two reasons I came up with were:

The car has shown really well in the build, and he is supremely confident in it, and feels no need to attend the first test.

The car has shown really badly in the build, and he is so un-confident in it, that attending the first test is pointless, and let his data bitch trundle round shaking down etc.

either way, it is a bit peculiar.

Back
Top Bottom