Current Fernando Alonso

Suprised there's no thread (although I had one for his blogs), so i'll start off:

A double world championship vs Raikkonen and then Schumacher in 2005 and 2006 respectively elevated Alonso's status but, apparently, no one told his rookie teammate at his brand new team of a theoretical 'pecking order' the following season ... and the Spaniard was 'seen off' by the young Englishman, Hamilton, into two years of Wilderness while both Hamilton and an even younger Vettel began to make their mark through '08 and '09.

Arguably, Alonso was in the Top 3 of all the Formula One 'Aces' in the 2000s following Hakkinen's retirement - up there with either Schumacher/Raikkonen and, then, Raikkonen/Hamilton - and remains so in the early 2010s along with Hamilton/Vettel...with only Kubica knocking on the door until the Pole's horrible Rallying accident.

A question mark initially over 2004 during which Trulli lead him in the standing until the Italian fell out with ex-manager and team boss Flavio Briatore (Alonso's then business manager) under dubious circumstances after the French Grand Prix.

Another question mark is...Who has progressed more since the end of 2007: Hamilton or Alonso?

A fan. Then came the unfortunate blackmail allegations against McLaren boss Ron Dennis on the morning of the 2007 Hungarian GP which came to light at the highly costly FIA 'Spy-Gate' hearings before Spa...followed by the odour of the deliberate crashing of the Number 2 Renault car at Singapore in 2008 which lead to Alonso finishing 1st in the event and ended in the banning of Briatore and Pat Symmonds a year later.

2009 was a poor year with 'Nando's' mind likely on the prospect of Santander paving the way to better prospects at Maranello one year earlier.

2010 was a fresh start at Ferrari (who no longer had Schumacher walking through the premises regularly) but first half season mistakes ultimately cost him a title inspite of being infamously aided by a Team Orders switch w Massa at Hockenheim (which lead to more world-wide criticism).

Relatively fast, relatively consistent but prone to mistakes and a possible insecurity complex (*) based on wanting sole focus from a team and being only happy with a Number 2 in the other car running behind him. Anything else and it seemingly rattles him.

(*) This is my own personal opinion.

..and so to 2011...

He's underperformed only at Malaysia (hit Hamilton) and China (invisible while Massa challenged McLarens and Red Bulls) and, arguably, Canada...but has maximized his chances in the other 6 races culminating in the British GP win.

He said in his post-Monaco blog that 'Silverstone would be the WDC cut-off'...and so, after some major upgrades, the Ferrari looks a winner again. It might be too late for 2011 given Vettel's finishing rate...but the 2012 regs means they should keep the hammer down at Maranello.

He's signed on through to 2016...So hopes are high of a WDC at some juncture...but not yet.

It's also the constant downplaying of Vettel and the rest of the grid and bigging up Hamilton himself and Schumacher. Plus his Samurai quotes and fighting talk.

It's fine once in a while (well not really) but the majority of the time? Nah. :nah:

I think his ego has had a little too much to eat this year. It happened in 2006 and after all the consumption he found he could not fit comfortably into his trendy McLaren trousers. I hope he doesn't bust a button at the top of his Ferrari pants because, as admirable he has been this year, his ego's waistline has been getting a bit tight for comfort.

I've been following F1 for a little more than fifty years and the season just raced by Alonso is one of the best I've seen considering the car that was under him. Two or three tenths more a lap during qualifying would have been all he needed to have won the title comfortably. It may not have given him pole but he wouldn't have needed it. What it would have done would be to put him far enough up the grid to have avoided being taken out Spa and Japan and that would have been game set and match for the championship.

Who is to say he wouldn't have binned it going up Eu rouge on the first lap? There is a whole lot of mileage between turn 1 and the chequered flag. Who is to say that his race head would have remained so good if he was qualifying better and therefor took a different approach to the race. Alonso had a great season but there are reasons why all 24 drivers didn't win the title and in most cases it was not having a good enough car. Maybe even Karthikeyan could have won the title if he had a car which was at the front with great qualli and race pace.

I don't see the need for a "what if..." in Alonso's appraisal. He did a great job along with his team but ultimately a lesser job than Vettel and his team. That's what happened and that's the way it is. If we start throwing "what ifs..." in for one driver then we might as well start throwing them in for all of them. (Actually, mnmracer has done a pretty good job on his thread and not a lot changes.)

Alonso did a decent jon considering he challenged for the championship until the very end in a car that wasn't the fastest in any of the races. I for one give him credit for it.

I reckon the Ferrari was fastest at Monza? Alonso looked supremely comfortable in Q1 and Q2, then in Q3 the reliability went. This meant he had to buggar his tyres at the start of the race and was lucky that his team-mate was there to yield at the end.

Who is to say he wouldn't have binned it going up Eu rouge on the first lap?
The laws of probability suggest, considering he's made it through Eu Rouge safely every year of his lengthy F1 career, he probably would have done so this time too. :) Seriously though Ninja, my comment was just a simplified version of what many have suggested. The current lead page on the Autosport site makes interesting reading for example. My posting here was really just a response to those that will always find a reason to bag Alonso. I tend to agree with Mark Hughes top ten which places Hamilton 2nd. Once again you have to consider what if's to place him there, but with the field so close what if's will always be considered at the end of any season.

What do you think about Scheckter words?

When pushed on why Alonso failed to make his top two, he explained how the Spaniard's debut and only season with McLaren had resulted in him losing all respect for the two-time champion.
"I think what he did when he was at McLaren has just put me off him for life, I suppose," explained Scheckter, though he couldn't deny Alonso's talent. "I think he drove well this year, there’s no question about that, he’s doing a good job on that, but when somebody does something like that you lose respect for them."

http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/07116

I'm think that this is right view to 2007 Alonso-type.

Depends on how you want to measure a driver olegg. Jody obviously puts more importance on the drivers character than their ability on the track.

It's a great shame that people still drag 2007 up regardless of who they are. Hamilton and Alonso have been able to put it behind them, so should others. People change as they grow up. My answer stays the same, it was five years ago, get over it. Alonso's matured into one of the sports greats, it's a pity to continue to criticize him for his behavior as a much younger man. Maybe some have matured through their difficult years as faultless, though I doubt it, they've just been lucky enough to go through their failings in private.

Depends on how you want to measure a driver olegg. Jody obviously puts more importance on the drivers character than their ability on the track.

I'm not going to measure driver.
In regard this original interview by Scheckter
I'm interested to know about person qualities and their impact on the perception of a career of pilot.

olegg, I think something got lost in translation as I was trying to explain what I thought Scheckter's views were rather than asking for yours. Fernando Alonso has been indulged by every team he has driven for, with the exception of McLaren, and he only lasted one season which I think tells you all you need to know. He is, undoubtedly, a very fast driver but, my perception anyway, is that he needs to be the complete focus of the team otherwise he won't perform at his best. Ferrari appear to be prepared to do this, having had many years of practice with Michael Schumacher, so good luck to them. I can understand why some don't like this aspect of Alonso's personality, Jody Scheckter included.

teabagyokel olegg

I suspect the lessons of 2007 for Alonso will mean he will be ready for Vettel should Seb join Ferrari in 2014

the only comparison you can make about Alonso and Hamilton in 2007 is Hill and Villeneuve in 1996... Hill welcomed Villeneuve with open arms and was happy sharing set up data but crucially delivered on the track

Back
Top Bottom